Driving, Tramadol and confusion.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Driving, Tramadol and confusion.

Postby Ethersin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi, I was wandering how people drive. I drive a lot and I dislike it for the pain and discomfort it causes as well as how tiring it is. So many people don't understand that such a simple thing to most is so heavy on others. Anyway, I get confused quite a lot usually it's only coordination or tongue twisted, luckily not really happened badly while driving.

But once or twice I've found myself so confused I don't even know where I am, only briefly but the thought of that happening while driving does scare me. Has anyone had any similar feelings? Or anything that lessens the confusion chance?

Also Tramadol now I'm quite immune to the drug I've been on it so long, but some times it does give me some of the side effects most people get, light headed, drowsiness etc. It does say you shouldn't drive if you get these but sometimes you won't know for 20-30 mins till they kick in and if you have to take one first thing in the morning and then be off to an appointment that's not good. Would people forsake them and suffer the pain in that case or just hope for the best? Some mornings are hell (well more than normal).

I'm not really sure whats what in symptoms etc. so excuse me if I've tottered off in the wrong direction, or am actually suffering from something else in addition.

But any thoughts on these?
Ethersin
UKFM Member

Re: Driving, Tramadol and confusion.

Postby cdcrossy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:33 pm

hi yes i know exactly what you mean i take tramadol and gabapentine i won't drive anymore as i was going out and say i was suppose to goto tesco id end up miles away and then think bloody hell were was i going again then phone the misses who would say huh ur not at tesco.
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby rutti » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:02 pm

this happens to me quite a lot..
rutti
UKFM Newbie

Postby Ethersin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:07 pm

Oh blimey that is scary. Lucky I've never ended up too far from from planned usually just taking a wrong turn or three. I wish I could choose not to drive, sadly I live in the sticks buses are expensive if they turn up on their ever growing intermittent nature.

Is there nothing that can be used to help clear the head up? I'd kill for that. That and night driving to be done in night vision goggles I've got hyper sensitive eyes as well and have to wear sunglasses if the sky isn't grey, yet people drive around full beam at night, which helps confuse my brain even more!
Ethersin
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Yes I've had the 'don't know where I am' feeling quite a few times, which is really frightening :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

My GP just puts it down to Fibro. My memory is getting increasingly worse, I don't just do things like use the wrong word. Someone asked for my address and I couldn't remember. I don't, can't go out on my own now :-?
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby Ethersin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:58 pm

Constantly forgetting names, places, what I was doing. Yet somethings are crystal clear. Seem like something you wouldn't remember but I can. Shame it's not important stuff and just useless information. :mrgreen:
Ethersin
UKFM Member

Postby Willow5252 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:00 am

Hi, I have the same problem. I literally stopped driving about three years ago. I felt unsafe on the roads, a little spaced out, being on Tramadol. My husband drives me to appointments or anywhere else I have to go. I keep life pretty simple and am homebound pretty much. Before I realised I was not safe on the road I nearly hit a cyclist. That was enough to make me think carefully about the risk. On the odd occasion I will drive short distances, but very rarely.
Willow5252
UKFM Member

Postby Fluff » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:13 am

The new law
The new regulations set low levels for the eight illegal drugs, with higher levels set for eight prescription drugs, including morphine and methadone.
Those using prescription drugs within recommended amounts will not be penalised.

The situation for people who use prescription drugs had not changed, he said, but "the onus is on the individual to assure themselves that their driving ability is not impaired".
He recommended that drivers who take prescription drugs carry proof so they could produce it at the roadside if needed.
line
Prescription drugs covered by the new law
Clonazepam is prescribed to treat seizures or panic disorders
Diazepam is used for anxiety disorders, alcohol withdrawal symptoms or muscle spasms
Flunitrazepam (also known as Rohypnol) is a sedative originally used in hospitals for deep sedation in the 1970s
Lorazepam is used to treat convulsions or seizures caused by epilepsy
Oxazepam is used to relieve anxiety, including anxiety caused by alcohol withdrawal
Temazepam affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause insomnia problems
Methadone is used in the treatment of heroin addiction and for pain relief
Morphine or opiates treat moderate to severe pain
Fluff
UKFM Member

Postby divingforPearls » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:29 am

There was a discussion about these new laws on Jeremy Vine yesterday.

I was about to put up a similar post regarding driving; except that I don't use any painkillers other than paracetamol but this means that driving is hard because of the pain and inability to grip, rather than any drug-related confusion. So either way driving is limited, which is making me very depressed, mostly as my children's activities are also then limited. My husband has to take them both to school in the mornings, and I am so GRATEFUL that they can get buses home, but we can't do trips to the park or the beach or those after school activities they love (work and shopping also very limited). They are now missing out and it's all my fault, I'm so flippin' annoyed by this pain. I wonder whether or not to start taking prescription medication.
divingforPearls
UKFM Member

Postby Ethersin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:12 pm

So while it is legal to drive on the medication it's use your head whether you are in a fit state to drive while on them, I guess that's fair though what would you take to prove it? I wouldn't use my prescription as I'd always bee looking for where I put it haha.

I've crashed once it wasn't a direct fault of my fibro, more of bad roads here. But I always wonder if I didn't have fibro would I of not have to wear gloves to keep my hands warm, would I have had the strength to bring the car under control? Luckily I never hit anyone else, but if I had I don't think I would of let myself drive again. Though I would never be able to go anywhere if I didn't drive, and my other half depends on me for driving as they haven't learnt yet.

I wouldn't blame yourself divingforPearls, it's not with in your control so you cannot be held accountable for it. Yes it can feel like it is your fault but it's not. Prescription painkillers may work but a lot of the time it's finding the ones for you. I've tried several, some honestly make it worse (had one that made me feel like I'd downed a bottle of vodka the night before) stopped taking that after a couple of weeks as if it's not hard enough in the mornings anyway. I wouldn't shy away from trying them, if you can get some relief that's good but as I'm sure you know don't expect miracles you could get little to nothing from some.
Ethersin
UKFM Member

Postby chezz » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:37 pm

I thought it was only myself with the forgetfulness, i'm not glad you all have the same problem but glad i'm not the only one forgetting things. only today, I put the pasta on & I completely forgot about it. pot & pasta in bin. . I rarely drive. only when necessary. I have on many occasions arrived at my destination but can't at all remember the drive?. x
chezz
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:26 pm

My doctor recommended that I surrender my license which I have now done due the effects that the medication I am taking and also the pain it causes plus an inability to look over my shoulder to check the blind spot. Which taken all together makes me unsafe. So I agree the onus is on the individual to assess their competence and if it falls below the proper standard then to make a realistic decision as to whether they should be on the road :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby funeral007 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:54 pm

If you take your drugs as prescribed by your GP, you have know trouble driving and even if your pulled by the police.. . .thats what the police and my GP told me!
funeral007
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:35 pm

I have carried on driving. To minimise any problems, I take my pills either first or last thing (depending on what they are, I've tried lots), and never make an appointment first thing in the morning. It takes me a good couple of hours at least to shake off the stiffness, have a couple of strong coffees, shower and get dressed and feel alert enough. I also plan to take new meds on days when I don't need to drive so I know the effects on me and can plan the timings.

I have, on two occasions, driven very slowly into kerbs/walls. Once I heard the beeping as I reversed and still carried on! But I was exhausted, and now if I have barely slept I do not drive.

Early days I was also getting blurry vision and that was the worst thing of all, it first happened as I was driving along :yikes: Luckily for me that passed as if it hadn't I would have given up. But I don't want to lose my independence, my partner can't/won't drive.

I posted more info about the recent legal changes here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21784
Basically they say that if you are on a script you should be under the levels, BUT you must follow your script guidance and if you are stopped you need to be able to show the police what the guidance is. So they advice you carry that with you in the car.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Ethersin » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:22 am

Sadly life doesn't always give you choices as to when you have to be somewhere or do something. I'm also a chauffeur for the other half, so some times I have to be up to drop her to work for 7.30 because the bus doesn't run that early. But apart from that I try not to do anything before I've stacked up on tablets and caffeine.

I really think driving is a choice not to be taken lightly and should be taken seriously depending on symptoms you get. I'd honestly prefer not to drive but I don't live close enough to civilization to skip out on it. I'll have to keep something in my car to appease police if ever need be. I take it it has to be an in date prescription? - Thanks for all the info on prescriptions and driving. I was never sure, all I knew was what was said in the leaflet that was in the box.
Ethersin
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia