Twitches jerks . Painful??

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Twitches jerks . Painful??

Postby Timelordess » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:26 pm

I'm kind new to Fibro,have a complex medical history with a hole host of neuro probs. I haven't got a clue what to blame what symptoms on. If they're Fibro, Chiari, or my syringomyelia! All 3 have similar symptoms, but 1 is a degenerative paralysis spinal prob so am hoping my arm twitching jerking thing is actually the Fibro. Reason I'm asking here is... Does yours hurt!?

My arm hurts so much before, during and after its twitching - but not all the time. It's not 24hrs a day. If it starts at night, only way i can combat it, is to sit at my desktop PC! I don't know if it's the position or what, but sofa or but only their or dinner chair works. Grrr!
Timelordess
UKFM Newbie

Re: Twitches jerks . Painful??

Postby Susan Stokes » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi Timelordess,
Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) is quite common in fibro but I find it strikes in other parts of the body as well. It doesn't particularly hurt but I find it very exhausting. I've been having problems for the last few nights and I agree that changing my position and sitting at the desk with my laptop usually works. I know what you mean about not knowing what to put down to fibro but I find this site very useful as some people post a symptom and you realise you have it also, so it must be fibro.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby gaynor1111 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:08 pm

Have you tried Lyrica. Since I started taking this (I had a restless body at night, twitching all over) it has virtually stopped .
gaynor1111
UKFM Newbie

Postby Timelordess » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:51 pm

[quote="gaynor1111"] I'm in the UK and don't know the difference in med names. I'm currently on modified release tramadol, abstention (although they are going to wean me off a on top dose, and try me with pregablin), topirimate and both codeine and oramorph as and when needed. Oh and lidocaine patches.

Not all for fibromyalgia as I've already said, but some does help with those symptoms I'd imagine!

XoxoX
Timelordess
UKFM Newbie

Postby Beccie42 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:58 pm

I get a strange twitch kinda thing. It doesnt happen all the time. Usually when im just falling asleep. Its like an electric shock that goes straight through my body and wakes me up. I wouldnt say its painful but its very disturbing. Like you im not sure if its fibro PSa or one of the meds im on.
Beccie42
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi Timelordess, great name by the way. :-)

I have to say I was quite thrown when I read your post, as I didn't have a clue what Syringomyelia or Chiari was :oops: I've had a quick look online, but it's way over my foggy brain. Plus my medical knowledge is extremely limited :-? Although to me it sounds like some kind of muscle spasm you are experiencing. I really don't know, wish I could help.

RLS for me anyway, does seem to effect my arms and they twitch like my legs do on occasion. I wouldn't say RLS causes pain, I find it annoying, uncomfortable and frustrating but definitely not painful. It tends to happen most when I am over tired.
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby Polaris » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:08 am

With Fibromyalgia it is a diagnosis of exclusion. Therefore you have to rule out other things first. Fibromyalgia (FMS) may also exacerbate pre-existing conditions.
As for the arm pain, in the mornings my arms and my hands are numb, sometimes the accompanying pain will wake me during the night. This is part of the 'morning stiffness'. After a while I'll start to get pins and needles in my hands and sensation and movement will begin to improve. Others have already written about restless leg syndrome.

The other thing is that there is primary and secondary Fibromyalgia and those that have primary may only have Fibromyalgia whereas those with secondary will have a different primary condition and fibromyalgia. I have a number of conditions and sometimes the line between them gets blurred. Generally if I'm experiencing muscle pain and fatigue that will probably be the Fibre but not necessarily.

The other thing is that when you have constant pain problems it can mask something more serious. Pain is a warning system and one that isn't working in FMS. I used to get a lot of groin pain and eventually this was diagnosed as a cyst. It wasn't until the cyst was removed that I realised the cyst itself had been causing the intense pain in my groin. I had thought it was referred pain from my spine but it wasn't.
Polaris
UKFM Member

Postby xadiym » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:20 pm

I have found arnica helpful and xylocaine when I have restless arms and legs. I do take lyrica among other things but I still get the restlessness in my left arm and leg. I'm in Australia but the arnica is more of a natural heat rub type cream designed for a few different things. The one I have is especially for muscle spasms etc. the xylocaine is an over the counter strength numbing cream here. But I only use it on my shoulder foot and a little on my calf muscle. It's awesome because it allows you to get some sleep. Hope this is helpful.
xadiym
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia