memory loss

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

memory loss

Postby debs67 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:01 pm

Have had a bad morning with memory loss. Went to take my son to school and i said " ive left my phone in the house and i couldnt be bothered to go back for it ". Came back home and i thought i had left it on the table in the kitchen. I turned the house upside down , even took the rubbish out of the bin cos i put a bag of rubbish in there. Decided to go out to the car and it was by the handbrake all the time. I cant even remember taking the phone with me , my memory is getting really bad lately. I have been told i have fibro fog was told that last year , but this is getting bad now. Any suggestions and how bad does your memory get
debs67
UKFM Member

Re: memory loss

Postby rolo519 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Hi there, I suffer really badly with my short term memory. My long term memory from childhood is awesome but my short term is rubbish. I have PTSD along with Fibro. I get annoyed with myself that I can't remember things/people/conversations.
My OH is very understanding even when I ask him several times a day every when will he be home from work (shift worker).
I used to have an almost photographic memory but now it's so hard.
I rely on a wall planner and the reminder facilities on my phone. My tablets are labelled in days. But I , like you, forget simple chores. I've been known to check if I have locked the front door several times in an hour. Things are almost like OCD rituals but I know it's purely that I don't or can't remember. I am very honest with friends and family about the fibro fog and they help loads but people who don't know me that well think I'm forgetful or not interested in what they told me an hour ago. It's hard. Sorry I can't help you with answers but please don't feel you are alone. I have a step daughter who is very aware of my condition and she helps loads! Like a second little brain for me.
rolo519
UKFM Newbie

Postby debs67 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Its mad how i m like you , can remember fro my childhood days, but i tend to get confused easily too. I have a med box with the days on, all doctors n hospital appointments on the fridge , calendar on the kitchen wall.
debs67
UKFM Member

Postby Syder » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi Debs,

Like you my working memory is incredibly poor at the moment. I make lists of lists and then even forget where they are, I've even resorted to putting things in my mobile phone to remind me - when I remember!

I've just had a look at my medication (Amitriptyline) and it lists in the side effects the effects it can have on your brain. I never thought to put memory loss down to the medication, but it makes sense, as my memory problems seem to have worsened over the last few weeks which coincides with an increase in medication. Naturally, I going to speak to my doctor about this. So it's worth looking at the side effects of your medication.
Syder
UKFM Newbie

Postby Susan Stokes » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:38 pm

I often can't put sentences together and am always forgetting names, places, objects so when talking to my OH I very often use a totally inappropriate alternative word, or description; I have even resorted to drawings. It's hillarious when playing games like Trivial Pursuit (best played whilst enjoying a glass of wine).

On the serious side I thought I had alzheimers but the people at my support group all assured me that it was normal with fibro. Best thing for me is to just ride along with it and not get upset.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:31 pm

I can recite a poem written to me in 1989, but like you, I cannot recall most day to day things. Names, places, where I put something, if the oven is on, if I left a tap running. :roll: :crazy:

I swear it is because I have more important things going on in my head and so the mundane got kicked out :!: :!: :!:

On a more serious note, I am being tested for all sorts right now, but never fear, FF (Fibro Fog) will always be there for us :lol:

(I always read the patient information in medication, but do my own research on-line and in the library. It is best always to know what is going into one's body and what it could do to it).

xxxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:56 pm

I! exactly the same. My phone is full of reminders that go off throughout the day. It seriously scares me when I realise something after forgetting. I hate it :( You're not alone x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:47 pm

My long term memory is unaffected but my short term memory, which was always appalling, is now so bad I often forget things within a second of hearing/reading them. I try to make lists/set alarms, and when working I will write down as someone is telling me, but mostly I go with the flow like Susan says, otherwise it would drive me crazy.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Charmed » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:50 pm

I feel my short term memory is definitely getting progressively worse. I've always been a list writer (organised I used to call it), these days I have lists everywhere, most of which say the same type of things. This week I've had 'phone DJ and pay deposit' on my lists from every day this week and I've still not done it! Tomorrows another day lol!

I forget familiar peoples names and call them something that doesn't even sound like their name. My DD friend is called Chloe, yet I call her Zoe or Jo. No idea why.

This week for example; beef olives... those round sausagey gravy thingys. Eh you want what?

I'm going to the toilet... to make a cup of coffee :crazy:

And to top that off, when talking about wrist tattoos to my forthcoming step daughter... I said, does it not go into those blue, liney things??? The look on her face was total shock as she replied, you mean veins? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Charmed
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia