Post-Menopausal breast pain?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Post-Menopausal breast pain?

Postby Genevieve489 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:43 pm

I've only just been diagnosed and am in my late sixties. I do a breast self-exam every month and have realised over many years that my breasts are often painful during this exam. I have regular mammograms and everything has always been clear, so I am now wondering if this is a fibro symptom?

When I was younger I always had painful, lumpy breasts before my period, but had hoped that this would stop post-menopause. I'd be grateful for any comments. Do other, older women with fibro have this problem?
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Re: Post-Menopausal breast pain?

Postby Queenie_70 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi Genevieve,

I am not postmenopausal yet, but as for lumps and pain, I have had them all my life. Once when I spoke to the doctor about it I was told they are caffeine cysts. Literally, I was drinking so much coffee, tea, etc that it had built up in the fatty tissue. I was told they are normal, but that there isn't much that one can do about them. It takes up to a year for them to reduce IF you reduce caffeine and have a load dose of vitamin E every day for that year, but no guarantees. So long as no new lumps have appeared, and you continue to have clear exams then there is nothing to worry about.

I hope this alleviates some of your worry.

xxxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Post-Menopausal breast pain?

Postby Genevieve489 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Thank you for your reply, Queenie.

Well, I stopped drinking any caffeine a few years ago now, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. However, like you, I have had this problem all my life and it was much worse when I was younger. I believe I have had fibro for a few years, although only just diagnosed, so just wondered if there was any connection.

Thanks again.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia