Struggling

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Struggling

Postby Atkins_La » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:21 pm

I Just want to cry, dont know how to cope with all of this now...

Was once young sporty, outgoing..

Now still young (26) not sporty, have a serious issue with food, but don't know how to control it :/

I have many hard days all of them are a slight struggle even with an endless list of drugs I take but today I cant even contemplate going to the shop to get food for tea...

How do you all cope?
Atkins_La
UKFM Member

Re: Struggling

Postby Brian » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:54 pm

I don't care what anybody says your life is over I've had it since I was 31 now 36 and I was out going and this illness is the biggest waste of a life you'll get people that'll say it'll get better think positive etc it's all bullshirt unless you have a very mild form as like you I couldn't go to the shops just now so be prepared to be f****** over by the DWP plus nobody really believes your illness only people that have it

Probably not the answer you were looking for but that's my opinion
Brian
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:58 pm

Hun I used to be one of those highly positive people but I've started feel just like you. I'm 35 and stuck with arthritis and fibro and I'm struggling a lot to keep my head above water. I saw my gp on Friday as I knew I needed help and got started on anti depressants x Please see your gp xx
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Atkins_La » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:01 pm

Thank you, yeah I am on anti-depressants already so god knows what they can do for me but am going to ring my doctor tomorrow and see if I need a meds review?
Atkins_La
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Perhaps he will make it a higher dose. Definately check in with him x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Atkins_La » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:06 pm

Theresa34 wrote:Perhaps he will make it a higher dose. Definately check in with him x

Yes I will, thanks for your support :-)
Atkins_La
UKFM Member

Postby Butterfly8588 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi Atkins,
I know exactly how you feel hun, I'm 26 and this year I've had Fibro 6 years. I've been ill with something or other since I was 18 and I still can't cope very well. How long have you had it? I'm only asking because as I'm sure you're aware there are usually stages we go through. 6 years later I still bounce between acceptance and anger.
It's always worth seeing a dr for medication review, I'm lucky because I manage to cope with the pain without any regular medication. I felt just the same pain on all these wonder drugs and I'd had enough. I struggle terribly sometimes but the side effects were worse!
Do you have anyone to support you? Family or friends or partner. Sometimes a good talk can work wonders for state of mind, if not your pain levels. Sometimes I think both are very interlinked. I can handle more pain when I'm feeling more mentally happy.
I'm sorry I cant be more help, all I can say (the same as other people) is I do understand what you're going through and if you want to chat feel free to pm me xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby Atkins_La » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:39 pm

Thank you Buterfly8588

Yes well I got diagnosed in December but have probably had this since I was around 13,

I take
Sertraline
Dosepulin
Gabpentin
Tramadol
Vitamin D
Diclofenic (?)

So much over 20 tablets a day, I have a very good friend who is always supportive, just need to sort out my issue with food really just need the pain to stop for a bit for me to get that under control
Atkins_La
UKFM Member

Postby Butterfly8588 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Yeah I've been on all of those in varying combinations and dosages. I'm assuming you're eating to much? I use food as a crutch to help me through the bad times so I'm not going to pretend otherwise cos that would be hypocritical!
If I remember rightly, and to be honest with you I wouldn't bank on it, tramadol increases appetite as well which might not be helping. Might be worth scaring yourself and taking a look at the side effects :shock:
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby Atkins_La » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:18 pm

Yeah I do look sometimes so may look again and see if it is something that all of them have as a side effect
Atkins_La
UKFM Member

Postby Butterfly8588 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Regarding the amount of tablets you're taking, did you know that tramadol has a slow release version? The only reason I mention it is because I was choking down loads of them and I mentioned it to my dr that I struggled to take them all and he told me they did a version where you take less tablets but they last longer. Might help you.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby Gingermama » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:24 pm

I have issues with food too, just want to eat rubbish at all times! It's the evenings for me that are the worst, if I manage to stay awake then I gorge on crisps, chocs and wine!

I desperately want to loose weight but can't get my will power going.

On another note tho try adding magnesium to the list of pills. I find it helps a little...
Gingermama
UKFM Member

Postby ixel-chick » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:54 pm

Sorry you're having such a tough time Atkins_La!

Like you and Brian I was in a state where I couldn't go the shops. Just walking up the stairs at home was too much of a task, and on bad days I had to crawl up them, on good days I just rested halfway up, before beginning the mammoth task of getting up the last few steps.

And I discovered online grocery shopping! Going to the shops was completely out of the question, even if I had by some miracle managed to suffle my way there, there is no way I would have been able to walk back, let alone carry bags.

If you book in advance, you can generally get delivery for £1. :-D Even now when I have no problem walking to the store, I'm still using it. My problem now is running around gathering the cats, so I can stick them in a room and close the door before the delivery arrives. It's no fun having to offer apologies for a bunch of cats jumping into a van... and as soon as you get one out, another one jumps in. :-D

Easy to make snacks was also a plus. I stocked up on things like noodles and couscous, that only neeed the kettle to boil or use of the microwave (due to the fog I didn't trust myself with the stove).
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Symiranda » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:06 pm

I'm sorry I suffered for 11 yr and yet could not find and effective way to take this pain away:-( no meds work, done all thy above I only have fm, and it gets chronic it has it up and down...yet the only thing I took that help was 5-htp with melonin, for some sleep and some relief ...I am also registrar to medical mj, it help with my fatigue n sleep to stage 4 for a better morning .
Symiranda
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sue C » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:25 pm

It is a struggle yes. I am 50 now and have been suffering like all of you for about 20 years. Back and forth to doctors trying to tell them my thoughts and dismissed every time. Until I moved to a new area and I spoke to my new GP. I told him I thought fibro or cfs and he agreed straight away. That was a year ago. Several meds changing and trials and still feel awful. I also have COPD and osteoarthritis. Constant pain and lack of sleep due to RLS. My husband is my carer. He helps me dress and bathe. Does all the housework. We shop online because its too much to carry. I dont have an overeating problem. I cant eat without feeling ill. I have lost a stone since Christmas. My husband cant understand what this feels like but tries to be empathetic but its really good to know that we have this forum where we can ask questions or just have a rant to people that understand. Xxx
Sue C
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia