Urinary/bladder problems

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Urinary/bladder problems

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:56 pm

I've been struggling to urinate for a few day since starting my anti depressant, I rang the gp and he thinks its a coincidence as no patients have reported this problem to him. I have to provide a urine sample later on. But I would be surprised if it was a urine infection as I don't get them, there's no pain or smell or anything else that worries me. So I'm wondering if its a fibro issue. What happens is, I don't feel the urge to go like I used to ie first thing in the morning I'm bursting to go but I've lost this sensation, so throughout the day I tske myself to the loo and when I try to see, it takes a whole to come and then when it comes, it stop/starts several times and towards the end I have to strain to get the rest out. Its really odd and really unusual. Any experiences?
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Re: Urinary/bladder problems

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:26 pm

I've not heard of this with fibro before but it could well be the meds, I had a reaction to pregabalin which everyone said they'd not heard of before, but it happens!

I had a UTI once and it was exactly as you describe, no pain or smell. He should prescribe you something that will clear it up in days.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby WENMARIE » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi,

My GP thought I had a UTI so was given antibiotics because of the pain in my lower back and the urgency I feel when I need to go. It comes on all of a sudden and 95% of the time I have an accident. I now extra clothes just in case.
I thought it was fibro because I never have problems in that area but it turned out to be E-coli and was given Trimethoprim.

I hope you find a solution to your problem, :-)
WENMARIE
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:08 pm

Hopefully they'll get it sorted. Its really weird!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby jim555 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:31 pm

I have exactly the same problems and have had them for a long time. I have been taking anti depressants for about 8 years with a brief spell of not taking them. I have been sent for numerous tests to the urology department and had bladder tests but nothing shows up so like everything else it is put down to fibromyalgia. I am actually considering stopping my anti depressants again to see if it improves as it is very difficult to live with. So I can sympathise with you, its awful!!
jim555
UKFM Newbie

Postby Mellow21 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:54 pm

I had this when i started new anti depressants, the exact same problems you described were caused as a side affect of the medication which in my case was Citalopram. My doctor got me to slowly reduce the amount I took over a one week period and then she gave me a new prescription for a different one. I am now back to passing urine normally :) This happened 3 to 4 weeks ago. Hope this helps!
Mellow21
UKFM Newbie

Postby Minniemum » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:14 am

I have a very similar problem, it started over 4yrs ago when I had a series of chest infections, the coughs were really vicious and bladder weakness, or stress incontinence started. After the infection cleared up I found that I had very little sensation warning me to empty my bladder and particularly as the day wears on I remind myself to use the loo, even if no urge. Sometimes, just standing up causes me to leak, by the time I get to the loo I'm in a mess, the urgency then is so acute getting onto the loo in time is a matter of luck and then I pass an amount of urine, but if I remain seated, I start to urinate again. This time I can do as much if not more than the first time. I've been to the G.P. who gave me pelvic floor exercises, they haven't resolved the problem. I take Amitriptyline which is supposed to reduce urination during the night, but I'm up 2-4 times in any night. I wonder if any one else has these types of problem??
Minniemum
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:48 am

I saw my gp yesterday and he explained it to me which made sense! Basically the pill I'm on causes patients to dry up inside so to speak, causing symptoms like a dry mouth and dry in other areas. He said I will need to drink extra water on them but symptoms should go from 2 weeks. He insisted in water as its important and not fill up with coffee and tea as they're a diuretic. And to be fair I am a coffee addict! So I'm going to try drink more and see if that solves the issue x
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia