FM affecting hand use

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

FM affecting hand use

Postby leaporlepor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:46 pm

My fm has been affecting my hands and making it difficult to use my hands, hold things and sometimes I am unable to move my fingers without manual manipulation. This has been constant at varying levels since the end of last year. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems like this and how long it lasted before easing off?
leaporlepor
UKFM Newbie

Re: FM affecting hand use

Postby rutti » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:11 pm

Yes I have in my right hand... Have to have a two handled cup not walking very good with my rollator as it hurts my hand to hold on! OT is looking to see if there is any adaptions or any thing else.
rutti
UKFM Newbie

Postby Garyl » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:33 pm

Like Rutti i have problems using my rollator because of hand probs down to fibro, my right hand was twice normal size for a period in february, could not cook open a tin etc.. I hope no on4e gets as bad as that with fibro hand probs
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby lynnb3 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:49 pm

I have had problems with my fingers for going on 7 years now when I was then diagnosed with osteoarthiritas. It makes it impossible to use a wheelchair and my car had to be adapted as cannot twist keys in locks ect.It does not affect my hands only my fingers so fastening buttons ect. I have a kettle which is also a water boiler to make 1 cup at a time as could not lift a kettle. It was only 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Fibro.
lynnb3
UKFM Newbie

Postby juliekp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:07 pm

I get lots of pain in my fingers and the side of my right hand. I struggle with grip n pull so find plugs difficult alot of the time :(
juliekp
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:12 pm

I think its worth you buying those small,physio balls to squeeze to help,strengthen your hand. I have two that are like play dough, its pretty cool x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby katherine244 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Yes, my hands randomly cramp up so I drop things with no warning. It started with small things like my toothbrush and now it's anything. I'm always dropping things.
katherine244
UKFM Member

Postby Happy Girl » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:32 pm

Queen of dropsy here. I lose track of how many things I drop in a day now. My writing has become diabolical because it hurts to hold a pen and there are all sorts of activities during the day that have now become very difficult. I have physio sponges and putty to exercise with and I'm hoping that will gradually help.
Determined to be happy
Happy Girl
UKFM Member

Postby Barbara H » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:29 pm

Try wearing gloves with just the end of the fingers cut off
Barbara H
UKFM Member

Postby Patsb » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:43 pm

My left hand is terrible ....shakes...can't grip things...aches like mad. Doesn't help I'm left handed too. :evil:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby Dusty7952 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:21 pm

I've problems to some degree every day, worse when I had been typing too much at work. I now have a voice activated computer which is a god send, got it through access to work. It is really easy to use when you have used t for some time and got used to it. I also have bought pens with a thicker end near the nib and they help, someone recommended a ring pen which literally fits onto your finger, not found those yet to try. hope this helps.
Dusty7952
UKFM Newbie

Postby joyster14 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:47 am

I've been prescribed capsaicin cream and it helps a little. Just rub it into your hands and pop a pair of cotton gloves on for 20 mins. I'm also looking into a wax hand bath which was recommended by my pain management team. Anything is worth a try. But most days my hands are useless and I'm being sent for X rays to see how far advanced my osteoarthritis is. Ive also bought compression hand supportsill let you know how i get on with them. Good luck with finding something that eases your pain
joyster14
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia