swallowing

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

swallowing

Postby debs67 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Does anyone have problems swallowing certain foods. I have terrible problems with rice. Its if as if my throat and windpipe are closing up and makes it sore and painful. Is this another fibro symptom as i have never had it before
debs67
UKFM Member

Re: swallowing

Postby jacson » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:27 pm

Yes I also have some problems swallowing any food that's too dry, I make sure I have a glass of water each mealtime. I have also started getting the feeling that I've got a lump in my throat especially when lying down in bed at night. If I get emotional my throat muscles start to ache quite severely and I cannot swallow! The many different symptoms of fibro is daunting to say the least. Hope this helps :yikes:
jacson
UKFM Member

Postby kasnat » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:47 pm

I have trouble swallowing, chicken especially if its a bit dry! My throat aches too. :roll:
kasnat
UKFM Newbie

Postby Gilly52 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:20 pm

Yes, I do have problems swallowing, I tend to eat very slowly to safeguard myself from choking, I cut things up fairly small but if food is dry this certainly makes it more difficult. My throat gets sore and achey on these occasions, always have a drink to hand
My throat has always been a weak spot for me, lots of tonsillitis etc., but this choking experience has come along sadly, as another fibro symptom. :(
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Postby Pompeyjoanne » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:22 pm

Very odd, as I am experiencing this right now? Thought I may be coming down with something.....suppose it just another little fibromyalgia gift! #fibrolife :crazy: x
Pompeyjoanne
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:44 pm

I often have a lump in my throat, and one of my earliest symptoms was being unable to swallow alcohol!! :yikes: Luckily that passed ;-) The difficulty swallowing comes and goes, and as a result of the last time I've had a cough for almost 6 weeks now :roll:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby jingles1964 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:21 pm

Hello I have problems swallowing,in the middle of conversations it feels like my throat is paralyzed &I am repeatedly swallowing, food also causes problems . I have multiple auto immune diseases
jingles1964
UKFM Newbie

Postby TNK* » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:32 pm

Ask your GP if it could be reflux, it is quite common with us FMers due to all the meds
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby MrsP77 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:11 pm

I can't believe I am just reading this!! I started getting problems swallowing towards the end of last year. It got so bad that eventually I went to my GP, he prescribed me Omeprazole 20mg once per day and referred me for an endoscopy. The referal said I was suffering with Dyspepsia and Dysphagia I had the procedure which found Oesophahagitis grade B, gastritis, ulceration and food/gastric residue. The doctor increased the Omeprazole 20mg to four times per day and another rescope in 5 weeks. After not having had an appointment after 9 weeks I phoned and luckily got an appointment for the next day. The medication had relieved some of the problems but food was still 'getting stuck'. So, I went and had the second endoscopy and this doctor couldn't have been more rude if he had tried. he got on and did it really quickly, then just said every thing is ok you can go :shock: When I got the report it said that nothing was found, I asked if I should stop taking the tablets for the doctor to just shout across the room (without even turning around), no keep taking them! I'm now going to go back to my GP to see what has happened. Has the meds cleared up the ulcers etc? I just don't understand it. Now I have read this it looks like it is just another symptom of our glorious illness!! :crazy: :evil: :-?
MrsP77
UKFM Member

Postby lizashfield » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:56 pm

I have problems swallowing as well. Like somebody else that posted this can be dry chicken. It's not helped by the fact that my mouth is so dry because of the Amitryptilne that i take.
lizashfield
UKFM Member

Postby smoky » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi

i am about to be checked out for Sjorgrens Syndome as well as Fibro - this is an auto immune condition which attacks the salivary glands and tear glands - I have a very dry mouth and exceptionally dry eyes and often have a persistent cough and often choke on food - I have to concentrate - just an idea - it may not be fibro but another condition (I only discovered this one when my sister was diagnosed last year ) :-D
smoky
UKFM Member

Postby morette5 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:18 pm

Yes i have exactly the same thing with rice.
I find if i lower my chin it helps, but more crucially it is linked to inflamed sinus and mucus which is treatable so tell your GP.
morette5
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:41 pm

I would mention this to your Dr. There are many things that can cause this, some minor, some serious. We tend to blame every new symptom on fibro when in fact it could be something completely different that needs attention.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:48 pm

smoky wrote:Hi

i am about to be checked out for Sjorgrens Syndome as well as Fibro - this is an auto immune condition which attacks the salivary glands and tear glands - I have a very dry mouth and exceptionally dry eyes and often have a persistent cough and often choke on food - I have to concentrate - just an idea - it may not be fibro but another condition (I only discovered this one when my sister was diagnosed last year ) :-D

Ah yes I looked at this before fibro was mentioned, as in the early days I also had problems with a dry mouth that led to angular chelitis (at least I think so,. 4 GPs gave up on me when fungal cream didn't work!!). It was SO bad I had a big red scar around my mouth and looked like a clown :( I also got blapharitis and itchy eyelids/eyes.

It's come back again at exactly the same point in the year (March) as last time and it driving me to distraction. It all started exactly the same time as my fibro symptoms but they are all lumped in together because my doc can't work out what is causing the skin stuff.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia