Shoulders anyone?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Shoulders anyone?

Postby tintagel » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:17 am

Hi all,
I have begun to get throbbing and at time sharp pain in my right shoulder. It hurts to drive or even put my coat on. This is new to me and at first I thought I might have just pulled my shoulder. However, yesterday the left one started hurting to.
Can anyone tell me if this is a normal fibro thing?
I think I'm rapidly going from a moderate sufferer to something more serious. Not good, I have Lupus too! Flares seem to be all the time instead of gaps inbetween flares and my 900mg gaby per day are doing nothing.

Any experience or info from the wiser ones of you on the forum would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou.
tintagel
UKFM Member

Re: Shoulders anyone?

Postby Fluff » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:02 am

I Have shoulder pain sometimes feels like boiling water trickling down other times is sharp stabbing like pain. Also sometimes feels hot and throbs. I am on 1800mg of gaby and I am a mild to moderate sufferer. I also have rhumatoid. Maybe time for you to increase your meds. My doc said the max dose of gaby is 3600mg. Per day not sure if that's right seems awful lot x. Hope you sort it x
Fluff
UKFM Member

Postby soretro » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:03 am

I'm sorry to hear of your suffering :-(
I've been suffering from this recently too. I've had FM for over 10 years now and this new problem only started within the last few months. It initially started with pain in only one shoulder and I thought I might have a frozen shoulder...but then it appeared in the other shoulder too. My left shoulder is far worse than the right one and like you I'm battling with dressing/undressing and general daily tasks.
I find it hard to have any pressure against them, so sleeping on my side is painful :-(
I mentioned my shoulders to my rheumatologist on my last visit and he just said it's part of FM. He frustratingly offered nothing else. I get a deflated feeling when something *new* automatically gets attributed to FM without any real thought/consideration.
I too would appreciate any tips from anyone with useful experience and ideas!
Gentle hugs!
soretro
UKFM Member

Postby Happy Girl » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:08 am

My right shoulder gives me a lot of trouble. Sometimes I find putting a hot water bottle on a painful area helps.
Determined to be happy
Happy Girl
UKFM Member

Postby caramia » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:14 am

I too am troubled often with pain in my neck , shoulders and upper back between my shoulder blades. I also suffer from osteoarthritis and know from x rays that I have wear at my cervical spine. I take gabapentin too, but when really sore have to resort to taking tramadol. I do find a heated wheat wrap around my neck helps to ease the pain. Hope you get some respite soon!
caramia
UKFM Member

Postby JanetLeslie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:47 am

Can I offer you a bit of advice? I have been suffering with this on and off over the last few years now and the only thing I can find to relieve it is steroid injections into the joints. I usually get them every few months Until things settle down again. Have a word with your GP and maybe give it a try. The same treatment can also help with elbow pain.

Good Luck :-)
JanetLeslie
UKFM Newbie

Postby didavo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:51 am

I've only been diagnosed since last October and shoulder
pain is something I suffer with the most. My physio therapist
says it's also related to chronic migraine, the symptoms
for that and FM overlap. I'm currently having acupuncture
to see if that helps. It's nice to find someone in the
medical profession that doesn't put everything down to FM.
didavo
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:24 pm

This is my worst pain too and I am also seeing a physio to sort out my posture (I have a crooked neck). I use a TENS machine twice a day for 20-30 mins and that seems to help, especially just before bed as otherwise I can barely move or sleep.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Re: Base of ribs.

Postby chezz » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi. I also suffer with FM. the pain is so intense at times. the base of my ribs in my back & the throbbing goes through my body with such speed I feel faint at times. I am on 3gab 3x a day, 500mg naproxen twice a day. tramadol & amitriptyline. if I don't take all of these at night, I don't sleep. the pain in my hips & shoulders is awful. why can't the Drs understand what pain we suffer?. sorry for going on & on.
chezz
UKFM Newbie

Postby Rhodidodi » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:23 pm

I also get a lot of pain in shoulders, and I find my tens machine is the best thing to sort it out. I am in the middle of the biggest flare I have every had, and have been off sick from work since the beginning of December. My docs seem to just be guessing about my condition and don't know how to handle it. Was at pain clinic in hospital 3 days ago, and girl there was the most educated on the problems associated with Fibro. I also have Lupus, and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Every day I waken up and say to myself "Where is the pain today then?" I even have problems with my feet and have been diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis. I feel that we don't get the help we need, and it seems to happen everywhere in the county. I live in Tayside, Scotland but from reading on here it's not just my area that needs to get more educated.
Rhodidodi
UKFM Newbie

Postby bouncy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Shoulder pain was how my fibro started. I have recently started seeing a chiropractor who knows about fibro. He has given me acupuncture, laser therapy and slight manipulation. He also suggested biofreze which has been a miracle for me. It is best in gel form and it eases a lot of my pain and helps with the migraines. Can also use it with the meds Im on.
bouncy
UKFM Member

Postby Nellyphant » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Both painful in varying degrees on different days. I use a combination of ice and heat to help relieve them.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:35 pm

I get steroid injections in right shoulder for pain every 18 months or so, also had it in elbow but doesn't bother me so much now (touch wood), I don't see the point in being in constant pain with it if can get it relieved by the steroid.. :-)
Diane64
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia