Memory problems

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Memory problems

Postby trainer997 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:33 pm

Do other people have problems with short term memory, such as remembering people's names or what things are called. I have also developed a problem with speech, saying the wrong words or unable to find the word that I want to say. Thanks
trainer997
UKFM Newbie

Re: Memory problems

Postby lancashire-lass » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Yes, that sounds familiar!
Isn't it frustrating - you realise that you know the word you want to use, but you just can't pull it out of your memory. Leaving you standing there mentally groping to find the word and looking like a right div :crazy:
Using an inappropriate word or speaking total gibberish (and catching yourself saying it) - all part of the fun that is Fibro
Short term memory (what memory?) - I struggle to remember if people want tea or coffee. I ask them what they want to drink, turn to go into the kitchen, and I've already forgotten! And end up asking 4/5 times what they want before I finally manage to make the brews, and then can't remember which cup is which on the tray!!
Some days (bad days) I am sure that I have lost my marbles - but then you just have to get on with it it's no good beating yourself up about it.
lancashire-lass
UKFM Member

Postby Fluff » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:23 pm

I have that and it can be really distressing. I am studying for an e am at the moment which I have already failed once due to not being able to retain the material. Luckily I get another go x
Fluff
UKFM Member

Postby MusicCC » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I used to be good with names but now takes me quite a few times before I can remember someone's name and have to make a conscious effort to try and attach their name to their face in my memory. Even then if I've not seen them for a while it's struggle. I tend to just not address people by name very much...
As for finding the right words, I'm terrible. Struggle all the time. Really makes me feel like I don't sound very knowledgeable in work sometimes, just can't get the right things out... Some days worse than others. There were times when I'd forget conversations I'd had lol :roll: at home we laugh about it though :lol:
MusicCC
UKFM Newbie

Postby painedprincess » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:09 pm

I get that a lot and its annoying at times
painedprincess
UKFM Newbie

Postby bandj » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Ah yes, the short term memory problem! I met a lady from church in the supermarket earlier and just could not remember her name - I still can't!! Frustrating but I've became used to it.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby Kayleigh » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:00 pm

I wish it was names I struggle with :( I cant remember one day from the next get easily confused and I seem to have formed a stutter in the last few months but not all the time. I even got confused about my regular train station I use. I got to Cardiff went to buy tickets and told them I had got on at a different station than I had. They read me my rights and tried to say I couldn't buy a ticket but I did anyway, phoned my husband crying so he told me which station I use, I tried to go and change my tickets, they wouldn't let me. The case went to court and I was fined £600 even when I tried explaining my situation. It was a £1.25 difference in tickets. Now I'm petrified of getting other things wrong. I freak out in work :(
Kayleigh
UKFM Member

Postby Sut10 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi it happens to me all the time,it's so embarrassing when your talking and then go silent because you can't remeber what your saying.ive had other things like can't rember where I'm driving to and can't think how to get there or home.once I got up went to the lounge and I couldn't use the remote I just didn't know how to use it for a good ten minutes .those times have made me cry it's awfull.
Sut10
UKFM Newbie

Postby Happy Girl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Memory really is a big problem. My husband had got used to me calling everything a thingumyjig. I can't start the day until I have written down everything I want to do and then just keep ticking it off as I go. If it doesn't get done it gets written on the next page for tomorrow and keeps getting moved until it had been done. Names are terrible and I hate not being able to give the right name. I gave my friends husband completely the wrong name in her Christmas card but they were able to laugh about it. I get very frustrated and tall when trying to have a conversation and sometimes when talking to my husband I'll just say, we'll have to have the conversation when I know how to say what I want. And people say, you do look well! !!!
Determined to be happy
Happy Girl
UKFM Member

Postby trainer997 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks for all your replies, at least I know I'm not alone with this and everyone's symptoms are just like mine, I've been worrying that its dementia but I'm waiting for an appointment at the memory clinic so that should hopefully rule it out. I can keep laughing at my self now.
Thanks to you all. :-D
trainer997
UKFM Newbie

Postby Bazzingersteph » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:02 am

My memory is awful, I'm 24 and I forget everyone's names, if I pop to shop for 1 item I forget what I need if it isn't written down. I forget to do so much now and it's very very frustrating but you are not alone :)
Bazzingersteph
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lucylastik » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:49 am

And here was me thinking it was 'that time of life'.

I seriously thought it was my age that was causing the memory issues. Which was a huge problem in my job (ex-job) as a taxi driver.
Not only would I forget what they had just asked me, but I would forget where it was! Can you imagine?

I felt a total idiot asking them to repeat their destination while I frantically hoped I was going at least in the right direction. One time last year, I didn't and we were about a mile in the opposite direction when the woman said, "Aren't you going the wrong way?" Why she left it so long to tell me, I don't know... :lol:

So no, it's not just you.

I also find myself (and this is a recent thing) not being able to multitask like I used to. I find now if I am reading a letter I can't bear having the TV or radio on because I am having to re-read it all again. When I was used to doing twenty four different things at once it is upsetting.

Or it can be. I just laugh at myself now and make a joke of it. I sometimes hum the theme tune from "The Fog" when I'm having an episode. (Sounds a bit like the Twilight Zone if you know it) Yeah ok I'm a Film Nerd :)
“You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
What mood is that?
Last-minute panic.”

― Calvin & Hobbes.
Lucylastik
UKFM Member

Postby Paisleyjane » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi all, very frustrating isn't it! I too have developed a stutter, that worried me but I now realise its all the good old fibro fog!
I was a nurse and found I couldn't remember how to do things, what things are called and all the rest you have mentioned.
The worst one was setting an alarm to remind myself to take tablets on time, hadn't slept well and was so cross because I didn't remember what it was for. :scream-1:
I have to make notes, but then have to remember to read them!
Oh you just have to laugh, was very sad though that I had to leave nursing because I didn't feel safe any more.
Enjoying retirement now :hugs:
Paisleyjane
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Memory what's that :crazy: I can be told something one minute and the next it's gone :roll: I know when friends want to confined in someone it's usually me they come to , `1 I'm a good listen & 2 they can be sure what they have told me ,will have been forgot before they leave :-| every cloud has a sliver lining so they say
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby Tuckvale » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:26 pm

Yes I have these problems almost everyday. I explain to people that I am talking to why. I laugh about it most times and people understand. Ginkgo Biloba helps, some people say Ginsing helps to. Good luck Val xxx
Tuckvale
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia