sleepy head

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

sleepy head

Postby debs67 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Lately i am manageing 7 hrs sleep a nite. That might sound great to some people, but i am so tired in the day that i am sleeping 2-3 hrs in the day too. I am still tired after sleeping in the day. Is the sleep syndrome going get any worse ?
debs67
UKFM Member

Re: sleepy head

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:13 pm

I don't know but I'm now taking 5-htp and managing 7 hours a night. Like you though I am exhausted and not getting that 'restorative' sleep. I don't nap in the day though - (a) I find I can't and (b) I want to try and get a routine, napping doesn't help me do that.

I truly am not sure that I will ever not feel like this, like I want to go to sleep every minute of the day. And if I can't, then I don't see how I can work or drive unless I dose up on caffeine, which is what I do at the moment. That keeps me going.

I have read studies linking fibro with non-restorative sleep, so I'm pretty sure it's a given :(
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby bandj » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi, I sleep for around 10 hours a night and still wake up exhausted. Some mornings I have to go back to bed as I cannot stay awake. I do try and stay up all day but am liable to fall asleep on an evening in front of the tv. Our son stayed with us last week and we were watching a dvd. Guess who fell asleep! :roll: when I woke up he told me to go to bed! Our son is 23 and the tables are turned!! :-D
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby sue cooper » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:22 pm

I have FM as well as RSD so I have a daily battle, I also have two knees that have severe arthritic degeneration and am on the list for two new knees, I also need a new hip which will be after the knees, sometimes I feel I am fighting a losing battle. My sleep pattern is horrendous despite taking a large dose of various meds. I wake up nearly every hour from around 11 -5 and I then get maybe a couple of hours 'good sleep'. I wake up every day feeling exhausted, very tired during the day but don't take any naps. Some days I don't function at all so just give in to it and rest. I guess we can only hope that eventually a 'cure' is found for FM I don't think there will ever be a cure for RSD...something I am haveing to come to terms with.
sue cooper
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:38 pm

Zia2014 wrote:I

I have read studies linking fibro with non-restorative sleep, so I'm pretty sure it's a given :(

That's about the only thing that my Rheumatologist talked about when I went to see him...kept going on about poor quality sleep, non restorative sleep, not the right 'type' of sleep...he thought this was a cause, rather than a symptom of fibromyalgia. No idea if there is any truth in that but I'm sure there is a connection. I sleep for longer now than before I started taking medication - I'm grateful for that because I used to dread those long, lonely painful nights of lying awake, unable to get comfortable. But even though I'm sleeping 'better', I never wake up feeling refreshed so I can only assume I'm not getting the right type of sleep. No idea what to do to improve things though...
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:22 pm

carolad wrote:
Zia2014 wrote:I

That's about the only thing that my Rheumatologist talked about when I went to see him...kept going on about poor quality sleep, non restorative sleep, not the right 'type' of sleep...he thought this was a cause, rather than a symptom of fibromyalgia. No idea if there is any truth in that but I'm sure there is a connection. I sleep for longer now than before I started taking medication - I'm grateful for that because I used to dread those long, lonely painful nights of lying awake, unable to get comfortable. But even though I'm sleeping 'better', I never wake up feeling refreshed so I can only assume I'm not getting the right type of sleep. No idea what to do to improve things though...

Yes my rheumo also insisted this was the cause of my fibro, despite me not having any sleep problems at all when it developed! :roll: I can well believe it causes this sleep issue though.

By the way, last night i had 10 hours of proper sleep! I know it was good because I feel much more refreshed today. It's now been a week of taking 50mg of that 5-htp stuff, so maybe people want to look into that? It helps you to create melatonin, which I think fibro sufferers are low in.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:13 pm

That's great Zia :-) I've been taking 5 htp for about a year now - I can't really say its done much for me. I hope it continues to work for you though :-)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:28 pm

Oh boo, sorry to hear that :( I am hoping it keeps being effective, as if I can get my sleep sorted I can do a lot more.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia