can fibro make cold/flu symptoms worse?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

can fibro make cold/flu symptoms worse?

Postby kerrybr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi, I am newly diagnosed (last week) and I have come down with a cold. But I feel terrible, can it make my fibro worse?
kerrybr
UKFM Newbie

Re: can fibro make cold/flu symptoms worse?

Postby Kayleigh » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:34 pm

I would say yes and when you feel like that generally you will have a flare up sorry :(
Kayleigh
UKFM Member

Postby smoky » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:44 pm

I agree - it depends on the cold and how your fibro is at that time - but I have just recovered from a bout a tonsillitus that gave me my worst flare up ever... am thinking of asking for the flu jab next year - sorry
smoky
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi kerrybr, yes it can and does make it worse. Being new to this , it would be a very good idea to educate yourself as much as possible and there is a ton of info on the board index here that should help you with several of these issues.

If you haven't already try to put a list together for your MD to have checked out and to give you and idea, here are some things that are common for us with fibro.

1. Hormone levels. 2. Vitamin D levels. (which are actually hormones) 3. Minerals. (Magnesium and potasium).

Also, if your vit. D levels are very low you will get cold and flu symptoms frequently and since i have started taking D drops (2008) these have been reduced tremendously.

These are commonly very low in fibro warriors and will make things worse if not addressed and adjusted accordingly.

Diet is extremely important and you can look up diet for fibro on the net if you can't find it in the board index here, also we need a lot of protein which also helps us to burn fat as well as helping our muscles as we use a lot or it doesn't get processed in our bodies properly.

Being a fibro warrior we have to be our own advocate and not totally depend on our MD for all the answers as it's still a mystery for a lot of them and they don't have the time to learn every little thing about fibro and some of them suffer from burnout due to all of the symptoms we bring to them.

@ Smokey, please read up on flu shots for fibro as i have, and I've read that we should not have it as they use mercury in the injections, even though they say we should have it, once again a lot of MD's are not aware of this affecting us. Mercury doesn't bother most people that are healthy but with us even small amounts of certain things will and do affect us tremendously. :-)

Gentle hugs to all and have the best Easter you can! :-) p.s. kerrybr I really hope this helps you some. :-)
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby kerrybr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:55 pm

Thanks everyone for your help and guidance. I'm trying to read as much as I can but its very scary and I think I'm still going through the denial phase as I don't want to be like this :-( x
kerrybr
UKFM Newbie

Postby niccjs » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:01 pm

I've had fibro for years though only diagnosed within the last year. I have been having flu jabs for about 15years and until this last one all were successful in doing their job even keeping colds at bay. I'd have a,skin reaction for a few days locally round the jab but no other side effects. This year I've not been so lucky getting a flu like virus and heavy colds.
I think it differs for different people just as the illness it's individual to each person.
niccjs
UKFM Newbie

Postby Diane64 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:24 pm

I have had the flu jag over the last 5 years, this year I was floored with the virus, I was told by a nurse that there is different strains they pick every year but the one given this year has been no good for the one that's been going around.

Not sure fibro makes it worse tho, although I do think our pain threshold is lowered so it takes its toll on us more..
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:19 pm

I've found it does, I had a stomach bug that lasted weeks and a cold that lasted weeks since fibro. I used to shrug them off in days! And afterwards I would feel low for a while too.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Queenie_70 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to add to what all the above have said, but I feel like I have been kicked under a bus when I get ill. Previously I would get up, go to work, and unless someone told me I looked like death and needed to go home, I would battle on through the day and suck it up. Now...I am lucky if I can get up, then if I get sick on top of that, I am guaranteed a really bad flare.

Sorry it is all "bad" news, but the cool thing is, we are all here, we all battle at the level we can for each day, and we are all here to listen and help if possible.

Chin up....:)

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia