Driving

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Driving

Postby kitten » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:47 pm

years past I was always good on clutch control never a problem , we have moved to West Wales and believe me I struggle on hill starts even small ones :yikes: don't seem as if my coordination is right, as any one else found this as there is a lot of hills round us it's something I have to try and get sorted
kitten
UKFM Member

Re: Driving

Postby juliekp » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Yes I struggle with clutch control at times also the breaks if my pain is bad. I try not to drive if in great pain
juliekp
UKFM Member

Postby trainer997 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:40 pm

I have the same problems with both feet because I have nerve damage in my feet according to my GP, I have just retired after 30 years as a driving instructor but the brain fog prevents me from working any more. The thing I do is take my time more with the foot controls, preparing to move off up hill just takes a few seconds more, I find this helps me. :-)
trainer997
UKFM Newbie

Postby marie marrison » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:50 pm

since my illness 3 years ago I haven`t been able to drive, as my knees are very painful all the time xx :(
marie marrison
UKFM Member

Postby sarahsnow » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi!! I have problems with the clutch....go to press it an my leg says sod off!!! I tend not too drive very far anymore just incase my legs decide theyre gonna play silly buggars. I also find the further I drive the less likely I can get out the car the other end :lol: :lol:
sarahsnow
UKFM Member

Postby mandiw » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:29 pm

I've had problems too and we have changed to an automatic. Best purchase in years. Also check the steering to make sure it is easy too, although most cars have power steering some are easier than others.
mandiw
UKFM Member

Postby Lucylastik » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:51 pm

I've just had to give up work after 8 years driving my own taxi.
That's 40-80 hours a week behind the wheel in all weathers, city, rural, motorway. You name it.

At first I put the fatigue down to my thyroid (and age, I'm 47) but I had never fallen asleep on the job until about 2 years ago.
I wasn't moving at the time, but as I suffered from insomnia, I thought it ironic falling asleep in broad daylight on the rank with all the noise and people around me. :oops:

Then I started having problems with my back and neck. The pain spread to my shoulders and arms.
Some days I couldn't turn my head properly or move my arm back to change gear.
My knees became very achey especially the left one (the clutch leg) and I started waking up in the night with severe cramp like pains in the left calf.

One day my foot jerked off the clutch and I stalled the car for the first time in 30 years of driving.
I realised it was time to all it a day.

A month ago my doctor signed me off work and I have since sold my taxi business. It was heartbreaking losing everything I have invested in for the past eight years but I would not jeapordise my safety or the safety of my passengers.

I sympathise with all of you who have been affected with their driving and i do think an automatic car is a good idea if you can afford to switch cars. As my partner is the sole earner now I doubt we will be able to afford another car but maybe all that walking will shift some of the weight I'm putting on!
“You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
What mood is that?
Last-minute panic.”

― Calvin & Hobbes.
Lucylastik
UKFM Member

Postby Paisleyjane » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:56 pm

Oh yes get an automatic, if possible. It is a way to stay mobile and independant.
Paisleyjane
UKFM Member

Postby fibrofrienz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:41 am

The main problem with my fibro, other than all the muscle fatigue and joint pains seems to be weight bearing. I think this is why I find walking so painful. Even a stick doesn't help. I feel as though I need crutches or something to take the weight off and almost swing along. For this reason, being able to drive my car is a life saver. If I didn't have it I feel I would be more or less housebound. I find it a bit of a struggle to get in and sit down, but once in position am not too bad. On some days my knees are quite stiff, but the effort to use them on the pedals is half that of walking. Now, when I've been sat a while driving and come to get out, that's the painful part too! I am hoping to change my car soon. I have never had an automatic, but have noted some of the comments here regarding how some people find them so much easier. I think I shall definitely bear it in mind.
fibrofrienz
UKFM Newbie

Postby KenRP » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:26 am

Hi folks, new here and still don't know if I actually have Fibro.

I was reading a few posts and thought I should add my experience here. I recently swapped to driving autos after a lifetime of avoiding them! I've always been a "driver" and have fond memories of Formula Ford, I could still get in one, just couldn't get out again...

I've now been driving autos for about 5 years and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone with leg problems or general muscle weakness. I couldn't cope with driving in traffic in a manual these days.

I've also got a car with a higher driving position, this has made getting in and out so much easier.
Cruise control is another thing well worth looking for. I use mine all the time, it also helps to avoid speeding tickets! :mrgreen:

I'd also recommend a 4.3l V8, but that's just me. :twisted:
KenRP
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:10 am

I got automatic years ago for my knees, but since fibro I got another with cruise control too. if I'm on the motorway I don't need to use much at all so it really helps. I've also got a blue badge which helps getting in and out as I need more room.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby sarahsnow » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:52 am

KenRP......you have a point about the height of car....I have been 'window shopping' car wise...and my husband wanted to look at a 'little car' (we currently have a crv) as I dont drive around as much as I did....but as I have discovered in my mums audi....I can just about get in but havent a hope in hell of getting out again. In my crv you can just sort of slide in and out!!!
sarahsnow
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:17 pm

We've got a ford b-max automatic. It's brilliant! Both of us can get in and out easily and it's a joy to drive. We don't tend to go far these days but we did drive up to hubby's parents (130 miles) and it was fine. We had a couple of good stops and took it easy. Both of us were shattered on arrival but pain not too bad.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:25 pm

Thanks every one
when we next change the car an automatic will be the one we will go for in the mean time when the roads are bit quite and all the holiday makers have gone for a few weeks till the May bank and then the big summer hols will try and master the slight incline :yikes: :yikes:
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby audreyh » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:54 pm

I gave up driving when it became a chore and a challenge to drive. Plus my left leg would go dead feeling or numb .. So don't drive at all now. Miss it though as I used to use driving a relaxing time.
audreyh
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia