Driving

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Driving

Postby MPSGuy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:28 pm

I found sitting in traffic and having to use the clutch frequently for any period of time was very painful and sometimes my left foot would go completely numb. So I bought an automatic car and it is so much easier to drive, especially when fatigued or in pain - the level physical and mental effort required is significantly less.

For my next car (and I run old cars anyway as I've little money) I'm thinking about getting a 4x4 or people carrier type of vehicle as I think it might be easier to get in and out of as you don't have to get as low to the ground.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:44 pm

I had problems with the clutch only last week, nearly put my poor mother through the windscreen and she was in the back of the car luckily i was crawling to a stop in the local cemetery, the problem being I went to put in the clutch to stop and forgot I was driving my sons automatic! no clutch just a bloody big brake pedal!!! :crazy: then the last 2 days after a week of driving an automatic I kept forgetting to put the clutch in on my car, must say the automatic is the way forward, when i do change my car im seriously thinking of going auto, as have had less knee and hip problems in the last week with out a clutch once i remembered i didn't have one lol
galio
UKFM Member

Postby cdcrossy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:53 am

I'm the same i had a manual car and pressing the clutch was a painful nightmare to which i had to swap it for a automatic which the wife loves i don't but anyway it seems fibro effects the left side of the body as my left leg foot arm and hand is all worse on the left i put driving to a minimal as even getting in is hard now.
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby puaa001 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:39 pm

I have same problem as you have..
puaa001
UKFM Member

Postby cdcrossy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:05 pm

its a nightmare i dread having to drive i let the partner drive me but its like a roller coster ride hahaha
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia