If I wasn't laughing so hard I would cry...

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

If I wasn't laughing so hard I would cry...

Postby Queenie_70 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:59 pm

Guys, this should be under the p*ss and moan section, but it is also very related to living with fibro...

I research, I mean, I really research an issue, especially one as close to all of our hearts as this. Having said that, I just cannot take one piece of advice that gets thrown our way any longer....the next person/article/well meaning yet ignorant soul that tells me to exercise and all my problems will go away, is going to get thumped in the face with a sledge hammer...in the nicest possible way of course.

I would exercise every day, but there are a couple of issue that get in the way of it....the fact that from the moment I wake up, til the point I can function is an average of three-four hours, this is on a good day....the fact that the pain in my life, maybe not in others, but in my life, is that which I can barely hide most days, and unfortunately, more often then not, I can't hide anymore, the fact that I am full-time carer for my disabled daughter, and last, but not least, there are not enough hours in the day, prevent me from aerobic exercise to feel better.

I truly believe that the sadists out there that keep telling me that this is the cure all, have NEVER felt pain the way we do. And before I get berated and told that aerobic exercise is not the only type that can give benefits, read the articles, it is all about raising your heart rate, which is what aerobic exercise means, (not the 80's version).

I am so close to tears on this one. I will do almost anything, including giving cutting off my head so that my daughter gets the care and help that she needs, this does not mean that I won't do what I need to do, what I am saying is that I just can't.
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: If I wasn't laughing so hard I would cry...

Postby ixel-chick » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:29 pm

Queenie_70 wrote:the next person/article/well meaning yet ignorant soul that tells me to exercise and all my problems will go away, is going to get thumped in the face with a sledge hammer

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But the question is - do you have the energy to swing the sledgehammer? Maybe you should excercise to get those energy levels up? :lol:

I'm with you. I am a firm believer that excercise is good for people, but as a general whole - not to help with fibro. What the heck does my moving me lazy butt about got to do with my brain having gone haywire, and sending out bizarre signals that tells me I'm in pain everywhere have to do with it?

The way I see it, there's (or was, as I don't have the fibro symtoms anymore) nothing wrong with my body. My body was hurting all over, but there was no reason for it (no-one was beating me with sticks all over, nor did I keep falling down the stairs every day). I was constantly exhausted, but there was no reason for it (doing nothing should not make you feel exhausted! And due to the fatigue I wasn't able to do anything). If there's no reason for all this in my body, then the problem was my brain. Excercise isn't gonna fix my brain.
☐ Fibro Mode / ☑ Normal Mode
ixel-chick
UKFM Member

Postby Roger Rabbit » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:47 am

Hi, I am so with you on this. Just to push the hoover around is enough pain to make me want to pass out, let alone do a regime of soft exercise afterwards. I have read many of the clinical papers on fibro and I am positive that exercise will only increase the pain signals being sent to a brain that is already recieving an over load of pain signals. I do not like the way that fibro sufferers are looked at negatively if we do not believe that exercise is the way forward. Made to feel as if we are being obstinate, tenacious and totally unfexible. A weaker person who is feeling low and ill would give in to constant pressure those of us who perhaps have been ill longer and perhaps now have a stronger disposition will not and we say that we dissaprove of the exercise theory. I firmly believe that the more of say what we think they might begin to understand our condition. Hope you all try to have a good day.
Roger Rabbit
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:52 am

It works for some of us. I have no secondary conditions, just the fibro, and I feel better when I'm getting exercise....and I exclude from that my usual 1 mile walk each way to work every day and walking the dog. I started running again a few weeks ago and the improvement in my energy levels was noticeable. I have charted a deterioration in muscle mass over the last two years, which is how long it is since I was still exercising regularly, and my pain levels have risen massively in that time, so I'm working on improving muscle mass and tone to see if that helps with the pain. So far, it certainly hasn't made it any worse. The only thing I find really does impact badly on me is lack of sleep.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Phlodgeybodge » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:56 am

The only exercise I find beneficial is swimming - but only very slowly, and for short periods - and it doesn't fix anything, just makes the pain feel less severe whilst I'm doing it!
Phlodgeybodge
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:12 am

I try to do something every day but on the days when just moving to the loo and back is agony, there is no way I am going to risk making myself worse. No one gets that, they say the same as the people you know are saying and it's so frustrating. Even getting to a swimming pool would mean driving, and some days that's not possible. So when my partner wants me to use a spa for my neck, I keep saying "yeah but I have to drive there so it takes the benefit away!!"

Having said that, I really need to lose weight to help my knees, and so I know I need to do something.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:25 pm

Firstly, I would like to thank all of you that responded because you didn't cut me down for my opinion. I know I have a big gob, and more then once it has got me into deep trouble, but this is something that bugs me. I feel like telling "them,""Don't you think I would be exercising if I could?" I don't think I am a big slob who has no motivation, I am just one person trying to deal the best way I can with the pain that I suffer daily. If that means I have to stay curled up in a ball and whimper, then that is what I am going to do....

Secondly, I am glad that some of you can get out and do something. I am not saying don't. What I was trying to convey is that someone who has never suffered the condition and what it can throw at us on a bad day, shouldn't stand on a podium and dictate what I can and cannot manage to do. If there was a pool near, (one is under construction), I might try swimming as I love the water, and it would support my limbs as I doggy paddle across:) (I was on my schools swim and dive team, so I hope I could do a little better than that, but who knows right)! I can't even begin to think of running again, I did long distance and middle distance, again in school, but those days are long gone. If you are able, then I am sure exercise is great. I just don't think I should be told that this is the be all and end all to my condition. If they controlled my pain, then maybe I would be more mobile, less heavy, and happier about being told to go out and move. Until that day, I will do what I can on the days that I can do it.

Third...to answer ixel-chick's question, I would get my 6' 3", 220lb partner swing the hammer on my behalf :)

xxxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:56 pm

The only exercise i can tolerate and thats with alot of rest afterwards/hot bath to sooth the muscles and a top up on the ole pain meds is walking. I walk my dog every day without fail, rain, sun and snow :lol: because if i didnt it would make me worse BUT the mental battle goes on for hours. You know the one, the finding the motivation cause your feeling so ill, fatigued, stiff and in pain, can barely get out of the bed yet you know you have to make the effort.

The mental battle is torchure :lol: the encouragement needed and knowing afterwards that yes my head will clear alot and i will feel less stiff but the pain will be more intense (cant win eh!) also to help with circulation and for me the main reason also is i find a walk helps with my mental health so there is alot for me to gain from just a walk but its the getting up and out.

Just getting up, dressed and sorted out is enough to ware me out most days but once im out i start to feel better. I cannot just get up and go :lol: and i think thats a huge thing alot of these doctors dont take into consideration. Its ok saying exercise but the mind and body have seperate lives well mine do! :shock: body wants to stay in bed resting and the mind wants to be out enjoying the fresh air.

It can take me all morning sometimes just to build up the courage to venture out. Its a huge task. So as i said above doctors must take the fact that its bloody hard work! and alot of people are to worn out some days to fight those feelings or have anyone to encourage them so theres more to it then how they come accross like its a simple easy task!
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby loverliesgal » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:05 pm

I totally agree with you on this one. My GP referred me to a physiotherapist, which was great, it was mainly a sit down and chat and make strategies to cope. The only one I really remember is 'when you are doing something and you feel pain coming on - stop' I just looked at her and said how can I stop when I wake up in the morning (sometimes just after midnight, if you know what I mean) in so much pain I am scared to move because I know that moving is going to hurt me so much more. Every step I take sends pain ricocheting from my heels to my hips. Physio gave me a walking stick, what use is that? it doesn't take the pain away, and with my wandering legs, the ones that take me left when I am aiming right, the stick is a hazard to me and anyone else in the vicinity. So at the grand old age of 51, my exercise consists of walking with a walker, yes thats right a walker, with a seat on it, to get to my car. I can walk around a shop, you get used to the pain, but that is only as long as there is one of those small trollies that I can use as a walker, not nearly as embarrassing as the real cobalt blue walker (which has a tray under the seat - no skimping there). I can't do a whole supermarket yet, but I can generally do the bread (cakes) dairy meat and veg aisles, before I have to pay and go. The advantage of our tesco's is that I can scan, which means that as soon as it is scanned it is packed away into a bag in the trolley. No emptying the trolley and refilling it after passing it through a cashier. So there you have it, my exercise regime, taken twice a week.
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:45 am

I struggle with exercise too, especially the motivation part. If I can get out I do feel better but its getting out yhats the problem! I take our dog for training once a week which we both enjoy but by the time I've walked him before class and done an hour training I'm exhausted. Some days I can't even face going outside. :( id love to be back to my old self where I could walk ten miles in a day and feel great afterwards. Those days are long gone.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:21 pm

Queenie_70 wrote:I might try swimming as I love the water, and it would support my limbs as I doggy paddle across:) (I was on my schools swim and dive team, so I hope I could do a little better than that, but who knows right)!

If I go properly swimming I end up doing more lengths than I can cope with because the water masks the pain and tiredness to an extent. It is very easy to overdo.

Doing hydrotherapy exercises actually is really good, so mine were to walk across the pool 4 times, (forward, back and sideways), push down a float ten times, march for one minutes, stretch out to the right and left 10 times each using a 'noodle', twist 10 times each way using your core with the noodle, 10 squats, and floating using the noodle for 3 mins.I did the whole set twice and it took about half an hour and was really beneficial. So maybe you could try something like that? If you google 'hydrotherapy exercises' there are loads, but those were the basics I was given for getting me moving.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby audreyh » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:37 pm

But the question is - do you have the energy to swing the sledgehammer? Maybe you should excercise to get those energy levels up? :lol:

Hahahahahahaha.... That was so funny and great ice breaker to stop someone from flipping lol......

I have been to physio and he gave me gentle to exercises but said to stop if it gets too painful. I have been attending occupational health for 6 months to see if they help me get the strength back in my hands. And again it doesn't help with the pain...and everything from walking the dog, hoovering or a bath shatters me and I need a rest..
audreyh
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:30 pm

Zia,

I will look into hydrotherapy. I worked at a physical therapy office so I should have thought of that!!! :facepalm: We had patients that came in with almost zero mobility that looked forward to their appointments because of the buoyancy of the water...plus it was warm:)

We also had one patient that used it as her bath as she was so obese she couldn't wash under the folds of skin :fireman:

I do try, honestly I do, but I am so tired right now that the thought of moving hurts :sleep: :shooting:

xxxx
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby mrselizabeth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:45 am

I used to attend to a gym four times a week, and did so for five years with out missing. As doctor's etc said it would be the best thing for me to do for my Fibromyalgia. During those 5 years, I have not lost any weight and neither has my body changed shape either. My eating habits are still the same as they were when I started at the gym. The only thing I have lost is the annual payments made to the gym. I have recently purchased a ball and 2kg weights and doing some exercise at home..
mrselizabeth
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia