Similar symptoms query?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Similar symptoms query?

Postby audreyh » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:15 am

Hope I am in the right place to post this.

I wondered if anyone else goes through phases of not wanting to be sociable with others ? Also not wanting to leave the house. I find there's times i just don't want contact with anyone . i can literally not leave the house for weeks at a time, apart from I love to walk my dog just along the road and back but it only me and her so it fine.

Also does noise and busy annoy anyone ? Back ground sounds when you trying to do something and any sounds just wind you up to the point I put myself back to bed or my room so I don't upset anyone .

Thanks for any replies xx
audreyh
UKFM Member

Re: Similar symptoms query?

Postby Azteka » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:50 am

You should ask your doc about sensory overload syndrome (i think its a syndrome ) it sounds a little like that i was reading about it a few weeks ago
Azteka
UKFM Newbie

Postby Hailes20 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:04 am

I quite often feel this way, hate going out especially if it's crowded and on the odd occasion I do go I start to panic and just want to go home,I also become worried that people are always talking about me, your not alone xxx
Hailes20
UKFM Newbie

Postby iblinkin » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:14 am

Hi audreyh, it's typical of fibro and i deal with this all the time.We deal with sensory overload as we are always on, in other words, things are constantly happening with our system and being around others taxes us to exaustion and we need quiet time to calm things down.

:-)
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Butterfly8588 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:29 am

Hi Audrey,
Both of the things you describe is exactly what I get. Ticking clocks are the worst offenders to me, quickly followed by washing machines, dehumidifiers, traffic noise, beeping and many other things which I find unbearable. One time when visiting my mum she had a timer on and I got so wound up by it that I went home and ended up having a huge fight with my boyfriend because I was so on edge. It affects me for hours.
I also get not wanting to talk to people. Sometimes it's all I can do to be civil because all I want to do it stay in my house and be quiet.

Gentle hugs xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby Juliehayward23 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:49 am

I suffer from this too. I thought it was me being antisocial! My son is getting married next year,and I'm already worrying about the reception!
Juliehayward23
UKFM Newbie

Postby Fluff » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:09 am

When I read what u guys go through I am elated. I get to the point where I think to myself maybe they got it wrong I haven't got fm. I have permanently got painful feet ankles knees wrists elbows and hips. I call it my body toothache. The deep bone type pain. Just started experiencing my skin burning sensation. Strange feeling that is. This is where I wonder. I can walk not far but I can walk I don't need gentle hugs sound doesn't bother me especially as I work full time shifts and permanently have a two way radio shoved in my ear all day. I'm totally knackered but I'm happy enough. I read about you guys with your .. Is it pip and esa. Someone I read the other day who stays in bed must of the time.and then there is pain mobility medication. Omg. You guys I feel for you. I feel really blessed not to have anything like you guys have. Keep smiling people stay positive and don't focus on the bad and things you can't do. Focus on each day as it comes and marvel at the small things you achieve. Xxxxxx
Fluff
UKFM Member

Postby lizashfield » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:21 am

Hi Audrey,

I can cope with people on a one to one basis only. I hate large groups and feel very ill at ease at any large social gathering. Like you I can't cope with noise nor a lot of movement immediately within my vicinity.

I generally work from home which is fine but if somebody is looking over my shoulder I find it difficult to concentrate.

I think these things are true for a lot of people with FM.
lizashfield
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:29 am

I have read that FM can cause people to be more sensitive to auditory, visual, and tactile stimulation. We have to learn what our triggers are and avoid them if and when possible.

Being anti social, as you have described sounds very much like depression. Are you being treated? For two years I barely left the house due to severe depression. I couldn't go shopping, or even take my kids to their events. I was almost a Hobbit, hiding in my cocoon/Hobbit hole. Please try to see someone about this, as it can get worse...

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby audreyh » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm

I have depression for over 7 years ... My meds are way down now and I think the right dosage . I have been to councelling and done the planner to push myself into new territories . It isn't that I'm like this all the time I do get periods where I walk to shops every day .. I sometimes even manage to get on a bus on my own ...

The noise thing is the worst thing. I used to be a very busy hectic organise person and coped with anything.. Lately well in the past 4-5 years I can't multi task . Go into busy places .or noisey places . I get very agitated very quickly and feel sck and sweaty and angry just got to leave ..
The multi tasking one is a difficult one too as I have 3 kids all with different schedules and now I think how did I do that ? I can't text an talk or walk at same time . My kids say don't answer your phone coz u stop lol ......

I also get out of breath very easily sometimes just making a cup of tea .. This illness is so weird x

Thanks for all your input xx
audreyh
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi, I have depression on top of the fibro. I am on anti depressants. I use rescue remedy when facing things like church shopping or when I'm feeling stressed or on edge. Theres also a rescue remedy for night which I use as I keep having nightmare about my last shepherd, roxy. I miss her so much still.

I went to church today for my friend's baby dedication. I made it through the service but couldn't face staying for coffee. :( but baby Rebekah looked gorgeous and was so well behaved! I was glad I made it.

the worst noise for me is when hubby mashes spuds. He bangs the masher so hard against the pan that I want to scream! I don't scream though as its so kind of him to do something that I find difficult :-)
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby Charmed » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:38 pm

I agree with Queenie, The sensory things are a symptom of Fibro:

I can't tolerate bright light (car headlights in the dark blind me or too much sun in my eyes).
Certain smells (very sweet scent, some cooking smells)
Taste (some things just don't taste like they should)
I can't bare to be poked in fun, it's painful!!!
Noise, I am unable to concentrate (TV on and someone trying to talk to me)

Although I've found I've gotten used to these symptoms over the years, and learnt to live with them. They just make me the unique (weird) woman I am today lol!

With regards to not going out, it's very easy to slip into the black hole. I was in the same boat as Queenie many years ago and was unable to leave my house for 2 years. This is definitely something to speak to your GP about, you may need your meds upped. xx
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby audreyh » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:52 pm

Well done bandj for going out today ...I hope you had fun .

As I have said I can go out .l take the dog out everyday . Not far but atleast 3-4 times a day. I don't get scared all the time when I have to go out, just sometimes I have to go and do what needs done and home. Then other days I can do the "normal" and get up go out and it doesn't bother me....

But yeah I will need to speak to my GP about this feeling again......maybe it just a case of my mess needing boosted.

I think it doesn't help that my GP is treating me for sjogrens symptoms when I can be doing as getting medication for fibro...my pain killer doesn't do much for me apart from make me sleepy.

Think I'm having a bad day . Week. Hehehehe........ My sinuses have been causing me a lot of pain. My face is aching down one side like glass being pressed into it. My head is thumping and I can't shake it ,thanks again all xx
audreyh
UKFM Member

Postby Honeysmum » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:59 pm

I totally understand this. There are many smells that give me migraine - a lot of car air freshners, bright lights (I end up with sunglasses on when there is a hint of sun) and noise I just can't cope with. I live on my own but go and stay with family/friends a lot and I usually have to go and lie down of an afternoon or for an early night just to be able to be still and quiet, they all understand this and just let me get on with it. I understand the panic feeling of wanting to be back home. I also suffer from depression but would attribute the above to Fibro not depression. I can't see how anything would improve these symptoms? xx
Honeysmum
UKFM Newbie

Postby audreyh » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:09 pm

My medication was reduced after a trip to my nieces for 10 days about 18 months . Where she lived was so quiet and I had nothing to do. I think it rejuvenated me. Unfortunately as much as my kids try their best to help me they don't fully .
audreyh
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia