Pain in hands and feet - common fibro symptom?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain in hands and feet - common fibro symptom?

Postby Genevieve489 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:48 pm

Another newbie question, please. Hope that's OK. I have recently been diagnosed. I have osteoarthritis in my fingers and thumbs - have Heberdens's Nodes on my fingers and recently had steroid injections into both thumb joints which have worked very well - for the next few months, anyway!

However, since I have been diagnosed with fibro - maybe I'm more aware of the pain - but the worse constant pain for me is in my hands, palms and fingers. The pain sometimes goes up into my arms, affecting my elbows and shoulders. I also get shooting pains in my feet, especially my toes, ankles and sometimes into my legs.

Is this common with fibro, that it affects hands and feet in this way?
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Re: Pain in hands and feet - common fibro symptom?

Postby Garyl » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:09 pm

Genevieve i suffer and it is my hands and toes that drive me to distraction, the worse is first thing in the morning after a nights disjointed sleep, am on a pain killer cocktail at night before bed.

Hope they can sort you so you do not suffer
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby lizashfield » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Unfortunately, I think these pains are common to Fibro sufferers. My worst pains are in my feet for which I've had loads of treatments which have not worked. I get pain in my hands and wrist as well. I had an operation for carpal tunnel release syndrome about 6 weeks ago. Although it seemed to help initially the pain is creeping back again.

Do think carefully about any intrusive work as it can be for nothing.

If anyone reading these posts has any suggestions for relief I'm sure both of us would be grateful.
lizashfield
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:32 am

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry to hear that you are all suffering with your hands. I do take Nortriptyline and also Paracetamol at night, which works reasonably well, but it's during the day when, obviously, I'm using my hands a lot that the pain is worse.

I do believe that I've got mild carpal tunnel syndrome as well, Lizashfield, my hands and fingers go numb occasionally. However, it doesn't happen a lot - sometimes at night, or when I'm using the phone - so I'm not doing anything about it at the moment. The only surgery that has been suggested in the future is on my arthritic thumb joints, an operation which, apparently, is quite successful.

Hope you all have a good day.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:02 am

Hi, I have osteoarthritis all through my body as well as fibro. I'm afraid what you are saying is familiar to me :( now I've been signed off work, my hands have eased and I do a variety of crafts which is my way of exercising. However, if I do too much, my hands let me know and I have to ease off crafts for a day or twl.i rub algesal (from gp) into my thumb joints and that helps a bit most of the timd.

Unfortunately, I have not found a really good solution. The pain meds im on just about take the edge of it. Crafts help take my mind of it. My sister is coming for a visit at the end of the month and I know I'll overdo craft because we both enjoy it!

although pain meds dont killme pain totally, you may find a cocktail that suits you, I hope so. I'm very limited to what I can tske as I cant tolerate many painkillers.

The one thing ive recently come to learn with fibro is it thtows up symptoms new to me but when I ask on here, someone will have experience of it and will reassure me. So, while we've got this wonderful forum, none of us is alone. :-D :grouphug:
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby sarahsnow » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:40 pm

Yep!!! It can be a nightmare for me...cant even hold a pen to write most days....like lizashfield ihad my right hand done for carpal tunnel but that only stopped it for a couple of weeks. With feet its like walking on pins...or lumps of lead stuck to the bottom of your leg!! From what ive read I think quite a few fm sufferers have these probs.
sarahsnow
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:06 pm

Yes, the same. Early on I was getting stabbing pains in my wrists and ankles which was so odd. Now I get pains under my feet, and sometimes in my hands - and when I do holding anything is very difficult.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby MPSGuy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:37 pm

I think it is a common symptom. What causes it I don't know.

These last few days have been quite bad - trigged by the warm weather maybe? I have redness and a burning pain in my hands and feet, which is especially bad in the late evenings in bed. They also feel stiff and swollen but objectively are not as I can still get my rings on, shoes on, etc.

Last night I couldn't get comfortable or get to sleep until about 2 am. I had to get up twice to take pain killers before I eventually got enough relief that I could sleep.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:31 pm

Thank you for your replies. It's interesting to see that it's a common symptom, but a difficult one as we use our hands so much. I crochet and knit, bandj, and have been told how good it is to keep your hands exercised. However, it's easy to overdo it and then I have to leave things for a while.

I find that the Nortriptyline does help a lot at night and I no longer have restless legs or hours of tossing and turning. Sorry to hear that last night was bad for you, MPSGuy. Take care.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby Becca1024 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:38 pm

I'm curious to know what people's foot pain (Fibro related) feels like!

I have periods of time when my feet feel like the bones are all broken when I stand up and walk. It eases over time once I'm on my feet, and can last for weeks at a time then disappear.

The pain is usually all along the outside edge of each foot, and into my small toes.

Does anyone else get this sort of pain?!!?
Becca1024
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:50 pm

Becca - Mine is almost like I have athlete's foot, that severe itchy burning feeling. It is between, on top of and underneath all my toes. Along with that I get a sore feeling under my soles which just radiates pain every time I step on them - difficult to avoid!

When I get ankle pain it is like someone has skewered it with a red hot poker!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby cdcrossy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:09 pm

Becca1024 sounds like you have planter fascis aka screming feet ) i have it too its like walking on pebble bare footed i hate it when i wake up i think here we go again
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:12 pm

Yes, my left hand in particular is worse! And my ankles are not great. I think it's just another fibro symptom :(
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:16 pm

yip hands and feet, had real problems with my feet and physio referred me to podiatrist as she thought the problem was my arches falling due to my hypermobility, podiatrist said i was turning my feet in when walking and gave me insoles was not impressed by her as she jsut ordered them and left them at the desk for me to collect, she didnt check that they fit my shoes or my foot properly, there very hard and uncomfortable but I have persisted and I must say the pain is a lot less now, but the pain when i first put my feet in to my shoes makes me dread it, I have been bad this last few days and wore my old trainers with out the inserts pure bliss when i put them on but starting to feel it when i take them off agaign! I also have thumb and wrist splints Im supposed to use them when i do things but i also use them to stop me putting my wrists in a bad position while resting if there very sore.
galio
UKFM Member

Postby cdcrossy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:47 am

i find my left side is most effected i have fallen arches and plantar fasciitis i also got the innersoles that didn't work now i cannot wear shoes it feels like my feet are being crushed i just wear flip-flops
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia