Fibro and Flying

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro and Flying

Postby juliem » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:08 pm

Does anybody have trouble flying? I seem to get a crushing headache within 24 hrs of landing and just really feel dreadful. Body almost gives up. Been to Zaragoza and ended up spending most of the time in the hotel room. This has happened last few times I've flown. I'm at my wits end as have children that live abroad.

Thanks for any help.
juliem
UKFM Member

Re: Fibro and Flying

Postby iblinkin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi juliem, sounds pretty normal for me! Flying can be very stressful and it has affected me in the past, mind i haven't flown since 1994 and won't because of the effects it has on me.

Maybe talk with you practitioner and see if there is something they can help you with to deal with these symptoms?

I hope it works out for you. :-)
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby juliem » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:40 am

Thank you I've been doing a lot of investigation and apparently this is very common. Very depressing. My son may be moving to South Africa and the thought of that flight is horrendous.

On the one hand I'm almost relieved it is the Fibro and I'm not going too nuts but ..... even my husband as said maybe I shouldn't fly. He and my son in Spain were very distressed by my total collapse. We were planning a Nile trip in November but won't now. Just too huge a waste of money to go and spend days in bed.

God sometimes I hate Fibro.xxx
juliem
UKFM Member

Postby Lindenp » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi juliem

Very interested to see your post. I fly down south to see my family every Christmas and it always takes me weeks and weeks to recover from it. I thought it was just the stress of having to get ready, washing, ironing, packing, booking, being well enough etc etc. I hadn't linked it to the actual flying though. No other way to get there sadly and wouldn't want to not go. I think I will take iblinkin's advice and talk to my GP about it. My nephew and his partner are about to have a baby and I said I would go down when it's born although I am not well enough at the moment. May have to give it mega loads of thought before I venture on a plane again! Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Gentle Hugs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Lindenp
Lindenp
UKFM Member

Postby juliem » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:09 am

I wonder if flight length matters? Son I was visiting in Zaragoza is normally at Uni in Dublin. I've done two visits over there. First I was pretty ill but other complications there that ultimately needed a hysterectomy. Second was ok (ish) But flight time to Dublin from Gatwick isn't even an hour really. I think also where you stay matters. A flight followed by a small, pretty airless hotel room seems the worst. Initially in Munich (other son ballet dancer there) I'd stay at his flat and though I got a headache was manageable. Obviously busy seeing ballet etc so pain from all that. But last visit there I had to stay in a hotel and it was small and I was so ill. Same in Spain.

Still feeling rough now and have to go to work which is going to be a strain.

The joys of Fibro!
juliem
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia