Fitbit sleep tracker

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fitbit sleep tracker

Postby carolad » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:17 am

I was just wondering if anyone had used the Fitbit sleep tracker to monitor their sleep patterns? I've just got one so used it last night to track my sleep. No idea how accurate it is but it showed very restless sleep until around 4am when I managed a deep sleep for about 90 minutes. It will be interesting to see if that is my general pattern or whether it varies every night. I'll also be interested to see if the amount of deep sleep I get has a link with how I feel the next day...
carolad
UKFM Member

Re: Fitbit sleep tracker

Postby _fluffy_ » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:26 am

I was interested in this, too, back when I was a tech journo. I asked them twice for a sample to use it to look into sleep patterns/fibromyalgia and to see whether it would be a useful tool and write an article about it but they just said sure and never sent me a loaner so I lost interest. No one cares about fibromyalgia *sniff*. These days there are widgets that are a lot cheaper that purport to do the same things if YOU wanted to investigate, for example the Jawbone Small UP (catchy name).
_fluffy_
UKFM Newbie

Postby Amberk » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:56 am

Hi. I didn't even know you could get such things!
I'd love to look into it though, if anyone can advise me as to how I could get one?
Amberk
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Amberk wrote:Hi. I didn't even know you could get such things!
I'd love to look into it though, if anyone can advise me as to how I could get one?

I got mine in Argos but you can also buy online - try Amazon or the Fitbit websitehttp://www.fitbit.com/uk

As Fluffy says, there are other products available that do the same thing. I have been reading reviews of the different ones available and the Fitbit seems to come out top in most of them.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:17 pm

Thought you might be interested in this: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/acrm ... &id=102298

My 'sleep efficiency' for last night is calculate at 72%. According to this site, below 85% is 'abnormal': http://www.beddit.com/project/what-is-g ... fficiency/
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Lindenp » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:08 pm

I've been looking at these since I read your post and the cheapest I can find is on eBay but the question I keep asking myself though is that's great to know all that info about my sleep but is there anything I can do to improve things? Just seems pointless spending money on one of these if it isn't going to help to improve things.

I seem to be having a flair up just now and my symptoms have got massively worse. Last Wednesday I slept morning and afternoon and still couldn't stay awake in the evening. I dragged myself to bed and had a massive hot sweat. It started with a really bad pain over my breast bone and came in waves of sweating over and over again. I think I had at least 6 of them with one barely stopping before the next swept in. I have up to 11 hot sweats every day but I have never had anything like this before. Does anyone else have these?

Gentle hugs
Linden
Lindenp
UKFM Member

Postby HazelB » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:50 pm

Be careful of the cheaper ones on eBay... I bought one and it refused to connect to the app, and then discovered almost every review of the app said they had same problem. I'm currently fighting to get my money refunded
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Lindenp wrote:I've been looking at these since I read your post and the cheapest I can find is on eBay but the question I keep asking myself though is that's great to know all that info about my sleep but is there anything I can do to improve things? Just seems pointless spending money on one of these if it isn't going to help to improve things.

You are right Lindenp, there wouldn't be much point buying it just to monitor your sleep because, as you say, there is probably nothing you can do to improve your sleep anyway. I bought mine as an aid to getting fitter. I can't go for long walks because it's bad for my back so I thought if I could build in short walks throughout the day, that would help. I wanted some way of tracking my activity levels so that's why I bought mine :-) I'm using the sleep tracker just out of interest, I don't expect it will change anything.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Lkilner1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:12 pm

Got one a few weeks ago . I don't no how accurate it is , can't understand how it knows but it seemed to know roughly when I feel asleep and woke up , but most of the sleep was very restless . Showing me I don't get much sleep . It's interesting if nothing else , gona get my partner to wear his as he sleeps soundly all night , b interesting to see his results .
Lkilner1
UKFM Newbie

Postby carolad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:36 pm

Lkilner1 wrote:Got one a few weeks ago . I don't no how accurate it is , can't understand how it knows but it seemed to know roughly when I feel asleep and woke up , but most of the sleep was very restless . Showing me I don't get much sleep . It's interesting if nothing else , gona get my partner to wear his as he sleeps soundly all night , b interesting to see his results .

That's the bit I'm most interested in - the 'restless' bit :-) I am not aware of being awake during these periods but it shows that a lot of the time I'm asleep, it isn't 'proper' deep sleep that is needed for you to feel rested. I can see too my pattern is broken and restless sleep until 4/5am and then I get some real sleep. So I'm going to try taking my Amitriptyline earlier to see if that helps. I find it fascinating!
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Gilly52 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:42 pm

Carolad,

This does sound very interesting, I never get up in the morning feeling refreshed from my sleep, I am sure I am more restless than I actually know I am.....hence the fatigue and hangover feeling, so to have something that tells the story of what has happened in the night sounds very good, technology is moving forward too fast for me to keep up with, but I will read up more on this, with a view to getting myself equipped with one :-D Thanks for the info.

I note you take Amitripylene at night, me also, I have experimented with different times of taking it, but not had any great results.

What time do you take your medication, be it a high or low dose, I have slowly weaned down a little, hoping to get rid of the hang over effect # forever hopeful !

Weather is good, sunshine, helps to keep smiling easier !!!! :-D X
Gilly52
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Lindenp wrote:I've been looking at these since I read your post and the cheapest I can find is on eBay but the question I keep asking myself though is that's great to know all that info about my sleep but is there anything I can do to improve things? Just seems pointless spending money on one of these if it isn't going to help to improve things.

I've been debating this too. I think it would be good to know, in that when you can see you've had a relatively 'good' sleep with some restorative sleep in there, you can then track how your pain/other symptoms feel the next day. And likewise on really bad sleep nights. And then you can see how much it affects you. So for instance, as an example you could see one night you got very little quality sleep and your pain rated a 9 (on your own scale), but the next night if you got more sleep that pain might be a 6. And you might be able to do more that day.

I guess my ramble is trying to say that you can't control the quality you have, but you can see the impact it makes.

If that makes any sense to you then well done... :crazy:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby carolad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:47 pm

Gilly52 wrote:Carolad,

This does sound very interesting, I never get up in the morning feeling refreshed from my sleep, I am sure I am more restless than I actually know I am.....hence the fatigue and hangover feeling, so to have something that tells the story of what has happened in the night sounds very good, technology is moving forward too fast for me to keep up with, but I will read up more on this, with a view to getting myself equipped with one :-D Thanks for the info.

I note you take Amitripylene at night, me also, I have experimented with different times of taking it, but not had any great results.

What time do you take your medication, be it a high or low dose, I have slowly weaned down a little, hoping to get rid of the hang over effect # forever hopeful !

Weather is good, sunshine, helps to keep smiling easier !!!! :-D X

I take 30mg of Amitriptyline but I do have to take it early or I get that 'hangover' feeling the next day. During the week, I probably take it around 6.30pm. I would quite often take it earlier at the weekend though. I only started recording my sleep patterns on Sunday night - I took my tablets around 5pm and Sunday was my best night's sleep so far this week - still broken with lots of wakenings, but I got 6 hours sleep in total. Of course I don't know at this stage if taking the medication earlier had an effect on my sleep, or if that was just a coincidence. It will probably take a while to see a pattern...if there is one, it may be completely random :roll:

But I actually feel very positive about it....I am fairly sure now this is the reason for my fatigue, whereas I was thinking it might be something related to my diet...or something else. So I think my main priority now is seeing what I can do to improve the quality of my sleep. It may not work, but it is worth a try!

The weather has been fantastic this week and you are right, it does give you a lift :-) Having said that, I try and stay out of the sun as much as possible because I burn ridiculously easily. So I'm the one covered in Factor 50 sunscreen, sitting in the shade, while everyone else is soaking up the rays! 8-)

I really recommend the Fitbit Flex if you are thinking about getting one of these trackers. There are other ones available but I think the Fitbit Flex is one of the best. It is very easy to set up and easy to use. For anyone wanting to lose weight, I think it would be great, because it will tell you how many calories you burn during the day and you can also record your calorie intake. I have been pleasantly surprised at how many steps I do on a normal day - like today, the only 'exercise' I did was a 20 minute (not fast) walk....but I clock up a lot of steps just moving about during the day. I have managed to get to over 9000 steps in total today. The recommended number of steps is 10,000 so I'm almost there! I think it is a great way to help you increase your activity levels without overdoing it.

LOL sorry, that last paragraph turned into a sales pitch! :lol: I don't have shares in the company, honestly!
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:53 pm

Zia2014 wrote:
I've been debating this too. I think it would be good to know, in that when you can see you've had a relatively 'good' sleep with some restorative sleep in there, you can then track how your pain/other symptoms feel the next day. And likewise on really bad sleep nights. And then you can see how much it affects you. So for instance, as an example you could see one night you got very little quality sleep and your pain rated a 9 (on your own scale), but the next night if you got more sleep that pain might be a 6. And you might be able to do more that day.

I guess my ramble is trying to say that you can't control the quality you have, but you can see the impact it makes.

If that makes any sense to you then well done... :crazy:

Makes sense to me! :lol: I think that is it exactly, I'm hoping it might just help me understand a bit more what is going on - whether what I do during the day has an impact on my sleep, whether there is a correlation between poor sleep and pain levels the next day etc etc. I'll keep using it and will report back if I come to any startling conclusions :-D
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Yorkbelle77 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:50 pm

I have had one since Feb as I thought I was unfit (I am!) and getting fit may help me feel better and more alert... This was pre diagnosis!

I use the sleep function most nights and like the step function too? I aim for 10000 on a good day, but more than 5000 on a bad day. My Doc was v interested in the sleep aspect as it too shows I'm restless a lot.

Be kind to yourself if you get one and don't push yourself too hard if having a bad day. Little walks soon add up xx
Yorkbelle77
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia