Newly diagnosed mature fibro sufferer?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newly diagnosed mature fibro sufferer?

Postby Genevieve489 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:14 am

Hi. I'm 68 and, in the past few years, I've been diagnosed with IBS, laryngeal reflux, hip bursitis and, in the past few weeks, fibro.
I believe that I have had these problems well before I was actually diagnosed, but I just wondered how many others have been diagnosed at a late age. How common is it to develop these illnesses in later life? Do people find that this makes coping easier or more difficult?
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Re: Newly diagnosed mature fibro sufferer?

Postby Juliehayward23 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:33 am

About 2 months ago I was diagnosed with fibro. I have suffered for years with hip bursitis,arthritis , chronic tiredness and more. I am thinking that I have had it all this time too. (I'm 55) I am finding it hard to cope with now. But, maybe if I had known a few years ago, I would have been able to manage it better now. Who knows?
Juliehayward23
UKFM Newbie

Postby bandj » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Hi I'm 46 and was diagnosed with fm 2 years ago. I have had hip bursitis for nearly 30 years, osteoarthritis for 6 years, I also have under active thyroid, asthma and angina. I have coped reasonably well but yhe laxt 6 months or so I've not done so well. It's the fatigue that gets me, more so than the pain. I am also the sole carer for my husband who has multiple health issues. So I do tend to get pulled down into depression from time to time. I do think I would have coped better if I'd been diagnosed earlier as I had so many tests and back and forth to hospital and doctors, trying different meds many of shich didn't work or made me worse. If I'd had a name for yhe symptoms I'd have known what I was up against.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby lizashfield » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:02 pm

I was diagnosed with Fibro last year having endured years of pain and illness and various tests. It probably started in my teens when my knee and ankle joints were playing me up; it was exacerbated in 1985 when my back started being very painful (it still is now). I am now 54 years old.
I was pleased to be diagnosed as I was beginning to believe that I was the biggest Hypochrondiac around but also angry at why somebody couldn't have had the sense to look at all of my symptoms as a whole years ago.
lizashfield
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:39 pm

49, FM diagnosis 3 years back
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:46 pm

I was diagnosed last year but unlike many I only suffered for about 2 years undxd due to me putting it down to my undxd hypermobility, and not going to the doc till i started getting bursitis in my knee, ankle thumb etc I eventually asked for a referral to rhumatology to get a dx for the hypermobility syndrome and thought my doc was just adding the thought of fibro as an excuse not to send me, well nope I got a double dx at 52yrs old. i hate that i get so stiff when im walking and trying to get the balance of exercise and rest right is a nightmare, I have found that if i miss my walk because im sore or tired I actualy feel worse the next week (I try to do it once a week at the least) I am one of the lucky ones as Im not so bad that I am unable to continue working but I have had to lower my hours amd move locations to help keep me there! I dont think age makes it any easier to deal with or accept the symptoms we get, they are so varied as well.
galio
UKFM Member

Postby Genevieve489 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:02 pm

Thank you for all your comments. Perhaps the only good thing about having fibro, and all the rest, at my age is that I don't have to worry about work. I retired 10 years ago from teaching - not from ill-health - but I really don't think I could have continued the way I am now. At least I can sleep if I want to and take things easy if I am in pain.

Hip bursitis seems to be common to quite a few of us. Mine began out of the blue over a year ago. I've had three steroid injections - the last one definitely improved things - but the bursa area is still tender on both sides, so I don't know how long the effect of the injections will last. Like you, Lizashfield, I found the fibro diagnosis a relief - suddenly I can give a name to the way I feel.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:39 pm

hi Genevieve, lovely name!

Genevieve489 wrote: Do people find that this makes coping easier or more difficult?

That's a very interesting question. I am 36 and recently diagnosed. I think there are positives and negatives to being diagnosed either when younger or older.

For me, it's mainly sheer panic at the thought that I may never be able to work again, definitely not full time at the moment anyway. I have no income and no independence. My sleeping patterns are a mess and I am in a lot of pain, so I can't imagine what I would be able to do. If I was older and/or retired, I don't think that would bother me as much. I definitely feel the pressure of getting back to work, from my friends/family/partner/me.

There is also a *lot* of judgement when I park in a disabled space or hobble around. People have even given my evil looks when I say I have a chronic pain condition, as if I'm lying! With older friends/relatives, they say they just don't encounter that as much. And likewise with my fellow fibro sufferers at support groups I've been to - most of whom are older.

However, there are obviously benefits at being diagnosed (relatively! I am no spring chicken!) young - my partner can work and earn, I can get about more than may be possible later in life, and my eyesight is not terrible although deteriorating. There are still other considerations like ill relatives, but mine are in the generation above me.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby cdcrossy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:48 pm

i know how ya feel I'm 35 got diagnosed 8 yrs ago but had pain etc before that but recently it has gotten worse i have a blue badge and at first i felt like i was breaking the law to park in the disabled bay then one day i thought no i have as much right as the next person with a badge but the looks i get its like a look of disgust like i shouldn't be there I've even had ppl look at my dash to make sure i had one.
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:53 am

Hi Genevieve, I'm 68, diagnosed 23 years ago and I can say that the condition has worsened as I've got older (they say it's not progressive). I had to retire 2 years earlier than I should and now I don't know what's down to fibro and what's down to old age. But on the plus side, as you said, I don't have to worry about work and I truly feel for the people who do. Apart from looking after my disabled husband I can do as I please. The only advice I would give is don't push yourself, listen to your body, and rest when you need to.

Try to remain positive.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby jayanne1311 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:19 am

Hi again, I was diagnosed aged 67 years but in the past 5 years I have had hip bursitis and plantar fasciitis. Don't know if it is connected. Have also had back problems since my early twenties with no real diagnosis. I have also always felt that I have had far less stamina than my contemporaries. Luckily I was able to retire at age 63 and am determined to enjoy myself!
jayanne1311
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:49 pm

cdcrossy wrote:i know how ya feel I'm 35 got diagnosed 8 yrs ago but had pain etc before that but recently it has gotten worse i have a blue badge and at first i felt like i was breaking the law to park in the disabled bay then one day i thought no i have as much right as the next person with a badge but the looks i get its like a look of disgust like i shouldn't be there I've even had ppl look at my dash to make sure i had one.

Yeah I got to a point where I realised that I needed that space because I can't easily get in/out, so I am entitled to use them. I got a right evil from a woman the other day through my driver door windor as I was about to reverse because I had taken it down already!

I think we can all agree fibro sucks no matter what age you are. At least on here we can all support each other :-)
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Genevieve489 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:11 pm

Totally agree, Zia.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia