Muscle weakness, fatigue, and depression...

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Muscle weakness, fatigue, and depression...

Postby Queenie_70 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:20 am

Sorry, it is me again..

Can anyone tell me what to do? My fatigue is causing really weak muscles, so no real grip in my hands, so how do I walk with a cane if I can't hold it?

I also think my depression is getting much worse....I have been doing research, and can't even finish reading a sentence....just don't want to be admitted for a fourth time....

Lastly, my feet and hands are swelling...but I am peeing up a storm so where is the swelling coming from??

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Muscle weakness, fatigue, and depression...

Postby bandj » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:22 pm

Hello Queenie,

sorry you are having a bad time. I'll try and help.

first, your poor grip in your hands. Have you tried crutches? They might be easier on your hands. You can help your hands by exercising them, try stretching your fingers out then clutching them repeatedly. Try doing that on and off during a day.

Secondly, the depression. I know where you're at, I've been there too. You need to communicate to your loved ones, they can't help if they dont know how youre feeling. Please also go and see your doctor, early intervention is essential. Try and stay as positive as you can, tell yourself that you can and will beat it. I do understand how difficult it is when you're in pain and worn out.

The swelling, it could be something or nothing but you do need to get it checked out by your doctor. Please also tell him how fatigued you are also.

lastly, you're not alone. If theres one thing this forum has taught me, its that. One thing I do know is that you will get through this because you've been strong enough to ask for help. Hang on in there, hug your family and go to the doctor on Monday. Then come back and let us know how you're doing.

Sending you big :hugs:
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby fibrofrienz » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:14 pm

I have total empathy for you. My hands and forarms get very painful. It feels almost as though the muscles are being ripped from the bones, and my skin burns as if I have dipped my hands in hot fat. I also haven't found a walking stick much help. I try to walk without one and push through the pain. I am yet to try crutches, but have heard many people say they find them helpful. All the best everyone, and gentle fibro hugs. X
fibrofrienz
UKFM Newbie

Postby pj1943 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:13 pm

Hello Queenie
I am sorry to hear you are going through such a bad time just now. I am having a bad time with muscles and strength just now too. I have had 4 falls in the last 3 months and they were because I didn't have the strength to save myself which is very frustrating as well as painful. I have walking sticks too but find that the muscles in my arms and shoulders suffer if I use them.
Like you and many other fibro sufferers I having been taking anti depressants for many years, this seems to be the norm for most of us.
Talk to your family or a good friend which will help you to get it out of your head where it goes round and round.
Take care
:grouphug:
pj1943
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:15 am

Hey guys,

You rock!!! I just needed to say that after the post I have read.

I have told my partner and my daughter that I am in a serious slump, and I just get back how bad things are for them! I guess I am not allowed to be depressed because everyone depends on me.....I have had three breakdowns in quick succession in past years, and all that happened was a change of meds and back to life as it was. It seems pointless talking to anyone as no-one seems to listen.

I have yet to try crutches, but there is a medical equipment store in the little town I live in, (which will give you an idea of the average age), so I will check them out on Monday.

My doctor is a saint, and has referred me to the ME/CFS clinic, but all my bloods are normal so I am not holding my breath for that. My partner has said that I am tossing and turning all night, he has also had to wear his ear plugs to block out the weird noises I make. I believe that my sleep is not restful, so each day I am waking up less rested and I have a sleep debt that will never be repaid. I am not allowed to take sleeping pills due to a previous incident, so I won't even ask.

If I didn't have this forum to type on, some days I think I would jump under a bus...they come by every 20 minutes..

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby kitten » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi Queenie

I do feel for you, I can understand just how you are feeling at the moment for the last few weeks my hands have been hell swollen ,pains in all the fingers lack of circulation red blue and white( Reynard's ) in the end did have to go to the Dr he said that there was a lot going on with them Fibro O/A and Reynard's (.do have O/A in my neck as well ) very sorry but can't give you anything for them bad reaction to a lot of medicine , anyway just keep them warm do the exercise , today my hands are so much better I can actually open and close them with out any stiffness in them . and in myself I feel so much better .

so hang in there and pace yourself till you feel you can cope one thing in our favour is that we are going in to warm weather
kitten
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:14 pm

on the subject of crutches if you need them and can afford to buy I would recomend smart crutches, I bought a set for my son which he uses when he is realy bad with his hms they have a long padded forearm rest and are adjustable in angle etc so you can change where the pressure is on your hand/arm unfortunatly I cant use his as they are too big for my wee short arms and legs!but they have now intorduced 3 different sizes should i get to a point of needing a wwalking aid I wilbe getting a set of these. they are usually about £100 but NHS wont supply them grrr.
galio
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:15 pm

Hi Queenie,

I'm so sorry that you're struggling. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make life better for all of us who share the daily battle with fm.

If you do get some crutches, decorate them! My crutches are covered in butterfly stickers. I love butterflies and they remind mu that, despite my creaks and groans ,, I can still fly inside. :bear-dancing:
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby audreyh » Fri May 01, 2015 5:40 am

You're not alone ... I attend occupational health and have exercises to do to get some grip back in my hands . Have been there a while and it taking its time but slowly getting there .. Good luck
audreyh
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:38 pm

***UPDATE***

Saw my Neuro-Psychologist today and we are going to do some coping/slap in the face techniques that should help with the seizures which they say are a by product of my depression and everything that has happened to be in the last 30 years....

No medication changes, but a lot of homework when we get to the tough stuff.

Depression not really easing, but managing to wake up each day and get out of bed.

thanks for all the hugs

xxxx
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia