Fibro and alcohol

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro and alcohol

Postby Dawnmc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:42 pm

I have had Fibro for 18mths, initially misdiagnosed as having PMR and prescribed steroids. For the last few months I have been taking amitriptyline, nefopam and paracetamol. I have always just been an occasional light drinker but lately I can't drink at all - everything tastes horrible!! I went off white wine first, then red wine and now just don't enjoy any alcoholic drink at all! Has anyone else experienced this? I wondered if it was the medication but food and soft drinks still taste the same?!?
Dawnmc
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibro and alcohol

Postby MrsP77 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi Dawnmc, I take amitriptyline (amongst many other things) and I have to say that I have gone off wine, it all just tastes too sour now. I'm still ok with spirits and beers (luckily), and like you am an occasional drinker. I am finding pure fruit juices too sweet also. :crazy: :roll:
MrsP77
UKFM Member

Postby Dawnmc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:32 pm

MrsP77 wrote:Hi Dawnmc, I take amitriptyline (amongst many other things) and I have to say that I have gone off wine, it all just tastes too sour now. I'm still ok with spirits and beers (luckily), and like you am an occasional drinker. I am finding pure fruit juices too sweet also. :crazy: :roll:

Thanks for your reply, do you think it's the medication or the condition? Just that my Dad has been on amitriptyline for years and it hasn't affected him in this way
Dawnmc
UKFM Newbie

Postby reegogo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi Dawn,
I found that I can enjoy a glass or two of White Zinfandel wine everything else a no no hope this works for you
reegogo
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:49 pm

I've had FM for several years, have never been on any meds, and have not gone off my wine in the slightest!
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby SaRahsBg » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:53 pm

I'm not on anything at all at the min but I prop drink a lot to relax me find it helps just waiting for my gp to sort tablets out
SaRahsBg
UKFM Newbie

Postby EvaHopingForRespite » Fri May 01, 2015 1:20 am

Hi Dawnmc
I do not take any meds, but have noticed that sometimes I go off alcohol (lager not wine drinker) and it tastes absolutely awful! But I have also noticed this occurs with other things and particularly during flare-ups where I find I become more sensitive to smells too. Maybe there's a connection!?
My sister-in-law also has FM and takes amytryptyline and she is a red wine drinker and reports no problems.
EvaHopingForRespite
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:56 am

MrsP77 wrote:Hi Dawnmc, I take amitriptyline (amongst many other things) and I have to say that I have gone off wine, it all just tastes too sour now. I'm still ok with spirits and beers (luckily), and like you am an occasional drinker. I am finding pure fruit juices too sweet also. :crazy: :roll:

Same here, I found that drinks tasted differently and often sour, but this was only when I was taking Amit and not when I came off it. So I'd guess it's the med, but it obviously doesn't have the same effect for everyone.

I was extremely worried I would go off drinks forever... ;-) :mrgreen:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Susan Stokes » Fri May 01, 2015 1:21 pm

I've got to the take it or leave it stage with alcohol, but one thing I cannot cope with is the sweetness of everything, even savoury things. I thought it was just me but now I'm wondering if it's to do with fibro or medication.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby Lk6 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Hi Dawnmc I've found that I have totally gone off alcohol it tastes wrong and instead of a couple of glasses of wine or sparlky relaxing me as it used to I find it makes me really agitated so it's a no no for me also I never used to like sweet things now I seem to crave them and have no inclination to have all the savoury things like chips and dips as a matter of fact I really don't have much of an appetite anymore and don't enjoy food in general but want lollies and chocolate which are really bad for fibromyalgia.
Lk6
UKFM Member

Postby hoysey » Fri May 01, 2015 4:48 pm

I only drink on a weekend, but I find alcohol the best pain relief, much better than anything any doctor could prescribe :-D
hoysey
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Fri May 01, 2015 9:37 pm

arghhhh just lost my comment it has nothing to do with the bottle of fizzy grape juice i have just consumed honest!
I have only ever had a problem with heartburn many years ago and that was solved with omeprazole, I was on amatriptyline for a breakdown after a violent incident at work about 9 years ago long before I had fb then have been on am and nortriptylene in the last year after diagnosis of fb and not had a problem. I only drink once or twice a month usually but the effect varies sometimes get a great nights sleep and sometimes it keeps me awake, go figure lol!
galio
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia