Pain in knees and ankles

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain in knees and ankles

Postby funnylady » Fri May 01, 2015 7:39 pm

I just started getting pain in my knees and ankles walking up and down stairs gives me so much pain.
So living on the second floor of a flat is don.t good the pain is bad but I just get on with it the best I can.
Will I be able to get a move with he council.
funnylady
UKFM Member

Re: Pain in knees and ankles

Postby lizashfield » Fri May 01, 2015 8:44 pm

I find going downstairs really difficult. Today quite by accident I found that I reduced the pain in my knees by going down sideways as opposed to facing frontways. Might be worth a try!
lizashfield
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Fri May 01, 2015 9:11 pm

worth trying to get council to move you get letters from doc etc and they may be able to give you ground floor accommodation when it comes available I find sideways on stairs helps as i have knee and hip problems due to HMS as well as the FB but we own our house so wil be a case of coping best i can until i cant manage nay longer hopefully thats a long way off as no way can we afford a bungalow it would mean selling ours and trying to get a council house
galio
UKFM Member

Postby Crystal pink » Sat May 02, 2015 3:22 am

I've applied, through Social Services, for a stair lift.. I was offered one previously, but I declined (even though I had already been struggling with the stairs).. I was in denial. However, I live in a 1st floor flat, with my own front door access, so the stair lift will be for my own personal use..
I know I'll be successful with my application, because of previous offer..

No more trudging up & down.. yippee!
Crystal pink
UKFM Member

Postby glennis17 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:23 pm

I was having problems from my hips right down to my feet and i could nt climb in the bath to have a bath and when i had a shower i kept falling and i was having trouble walking upstairs ( which we had over 7 wide steps to our ground floor flat and 2 at the main door ) I applied to the council for priority and they turned us down but they said they would pass my name over to the adaption team at social services to see if they could alter our bathroom, when they came she looked and said straight away no way could they put a wet room there as it was nt big enough and also they dont put ramps on the outside if they cant alter the inside so she said she would tell the council they had to move us in to a bungalow and then they put a wet room in it, now we have been in our new home 2yrs and it,s great, so the council did us a favour putting us in touch with social services. Please dont give up if you need to move because of your illness just get in touch with social services and explain what is wrong and ask them for their help, it worked for me. I hope this helps anyone out there but dont give up. Good luck.
glennis17
UKFM Newbie

Postby crazy cat lady » Sat May 02, 2015 5:51 pm

I find it easier to go down one step at a time, I also have arthritis in both knees...waiting to be assessed for a shower, apparently social work have to assess you and send a report to my housing association. I think if you were to get letters of support from your GP, you would be considered for another house.
crazy cat lady
UKFM Member

Postby glennis17 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Hiya Crazy cat, housing no longer take any notice of doctors letters any more well in sheffield they dont but good luck love i hope you get what you need
glennis17
UKFM Newbie

Postby funnylady » Sun May 24, 2015 7:22 pm

My council was ok with me when I ask them if they expected doctors letter with my pip letter.
They said it is ok to send a doctors letter.
I.ve had no problems been very supportive and told me to feel n a housing form with a change of circumstances.
Ive done that and just waiting now for my bidding number.
funnylady
UKFM Member

Postby glennis17 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:45 pm

Contact your housing office and ask if you can have priority and explain the problems your having, they might come and visit if not they will just refuse you but they might refer you to social services, if not get in touch with them yourself and tell them whats happening to you. We used to live in a ground floor flat with a bath and because of all my pains i had trouble climbing in to the bath for a shower because i could ,nt life my legs up high enough and i was also falling in the bath, so the council refused us priority and they passed our name to social services but when they came they said the could ,nt alter bathroom because it was too small and also they would nt alter anywhere if they cant put a ramp outside so we got the bungalow we bidded on and now we have been here 2yrs but im getting worse now. I hope this helps just contact housing first then the social services. Good luck love x
glennis17
UKFM Newbie

Postby Patsb » Mon May 25, 2015 12:55 pm

Twe were lucky enough to be moved into a bungalow about a year after I was diagnosed with fibro. They also fitted a shower over bath although we are now considering asking if we are eligible for a wet room as even lifting my leg high enough to stand n bath is a struggle plus there's no room to manoeuvre once in.we are both registered disabled ( hubby has emphysema copd arthritis and angina) so fingers crossed. :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia