morphine

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

morphine

Postby debs67 » Sun May 10, 2015 5:12 pm

Saw my consultant and he says that there is no more they can do for me concerning my fibro. I have had physio, accupuncture 5 sessions , cortizone injections and to no avail. My doctor has mentioned morphine. Has anyone else had it and what effect does it have ?
debs67
UKFM Member

Re: morphine

Postby Queenie_70 » Sun May 10, 2015 5:18 pm

CONSTIPATION.......That is all I have to say about that!

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby lynnb3 » Sun May 10, 2015 5:57 pm

I have been on morphine patches for a year and found them great and so much better that rattling with tablets. I have had no side effects from them. hope this helps you decide
lynnb3
UKFM Newbie

Postby alisonbarlow1970 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:19 pm

I have been taking morphine slow release tablets now for a couple of years, the only side effect I have is constipation but I take lactulose to counteract that. I also have morphine oral solution for the times when the rest of my medication just doesn't cut through the pain. I have to be honest and say I wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning without it.
alisonbarlow1970
UKFM Newbie

Postby bandj » Sun May 10, 2015 8:19 pm

I've been on morphine patches for a few years now and I don't have any problems.

Hubby takes oramorph and he doesn't have any problems either.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby cookiemart » Sun May 10, 2015 10:30 pm

I was on morphine for 2 years and was told to come off it as it has no affect on fibromyalgia, apparently only amitriptyline and tramadol work, I would never take morphine again now after the hassle I had coming off it.
cookiemart
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jillymoo » Mon May 11, 2015 11:08 pm

Ive been on Morphine slow release for a while now and I also have Oramorph for break thru pain, and I have to say that without it I wouldnt be here as the pain was so bad I just couldnt cope and wanted it all to stop. The only down side is the constipation but Lactulose helps with that.
The only worry Ive had is since this new ruling about Drug Driving ... Has anyone been advised against driving whilst on Morphine? My nurse said I should be ok but its always playing on my mind.
Jillymoo x 'moooo'
Jillymoo
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Wed May 13, 2015 7:29 pm

I was on a high dose of Fentanyl that is stronger than morphine for almost 8 years. I am no longer on it and even though I have nothing for the pain I am so glad to be off it.

The long term side effects of a narcotic are not good and withdrawal is horrible.

At one time oxycontin was "the miracle drug" for pain as was Fentanyl, however the effects long term for chronic pain has been considered and no longer acceptable to the medical board here. It works for short relief but then you need more or other drugs to deal with the pain.

I have been dealing with fibro for over 25 years and tried all the recommended drugs, injections etc. My opinion, and only an opinion.....none of these drugs work long term. If I can find new ways, drug free, of coping I feel it will be beneficial to my long term health.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Gromit » Tue May 19, 2015 11:57 am

I take 20mg slow release Oxycontin am and pm and it works well with managing my pain. I also take Baclofen which is a muscle relaxant and 45mg Mirtizapine each evening. I have been taking this combination of medication since September last year and it really has been a life saver. I was practically bed bound and now I am up and about and even horse riding again. I have no side effects from the Oxy at all xox
Love from Grom :) xxx
Gromit
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue May 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Jillymoo wrote:Ive been on Morphine slow release for a while now and I also have Oramorph for break thru pain, and I have to say that without it I wouldnt be here as the pain was so bad I just couldnt cope and wanted it all to stop. The only down side is the constipation but Lactulose helps with that.
The only worry Ive had is since this new ruling about Drug Driving ... Has anyone been advised against driving whilst on Morphine? My nurse said I should be ok but its always playing on my mind.

Over here for instance........if you are either in an accident or stopped for some reason and the officer thinks you may be impaired you can be given a blood test. With the findings showing a drug in your system that could cause you to be in lack of total control, prescribed by a Dr or not, you can be charged with impaired/driving under the influence.

That is why the manufacturer puts on the info about the drug to not operate machinery or make important decisions while taking a drug. They are protecting themselves from law suits.

I went to our local police and asked the questions about driving while taking medication. They regard impaired as either from alcohol or medication.

In my opinion for a nurse to say....you should be ok, is being irresponsible.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Jillymoo wrote:The only worry Ive had is since this new ruling about Drug Driving ... Has anyone been advised against driving whilst on Morphine? My nurse said I should be ok but its always playing on my mind.

This was my post on it: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21784

Which includes this: "However, the limits that have been set for these drugs exceed normal prescribed doses, meaning that the vast majority of people can drive as they normally would, so long as they are taking their medicine in accordance with the advice of a healthcare professional and/or as printed in the accompanying leaflet their driving is not impaired"

So it's not necessarily irresponsible for the nurse to say that.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Tue May 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Zia2014 wrote:
Jillymoo wrote:The only worry Ive had is since this new ruling about Drug Driving ... Has anyone been advised against driving whilst on Morphine? My nurse said I should be ok but its always playing on my mind.

This was my post on it: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21784

Which includes this: "However, the limits that have been set for these drugs exceed normal prescribed doses, meaning that the vast majority of people can drive as they normally would, so long as they are taking their medicine in accordance with the advice of a healthcare professional and/or as printed in the accompanying leaflet their driving is not impaired"

So it's not necessarily irresponsible for the nurse to say that.

The responsibility becomes the patient. In the article does it not say that .....as long as the patient is not impaired?

The thing here is, most people do not realize how the meds affect their judgement and reaction time. Like the alcohol impaired, they seem fine to themselves. Not everyone reacts to meds the same way, my friend takes an over the counter allergy med and there is no way she can drive.

In regards to my comment of a nurse saying, you will likely be fine........likely means neither yes or no.

I know my own Dr told me that I would be at risk driving while on such a high dose of fentanyl.....I stopped driving. My hubby, grandchildren and daughter noticed my reaction was slow. My foot would ease of the gas without me realizing and I would be driving slower.

I personally would take notice, ask family members if you seem like you should not drive. it would make sense to be more cautious than the worse scenario.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:06 pm

I do not think and never said that it isn't the patient's responsibility. Of course it is. I was merely commenting on the legal aspect.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Tue May 19, 2015 6:19 pm

Zia2014 wrote:I do not think and never said that it isn't the patient's responsibility. Of course it is. I was merely commenting on the legal aspect.

Not thinking you thought differently.....only clarifying that I feel it is not responsible for someone who does not really know to say that someone is likely OK to drive. It really is a subject that needs more clarification with the manufacturer, medical professionals and law enforcement.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:34 am

Well it's clear from the link, and the people I've spoken to, that people *should* be safe if they take a "prescribed dose". So I do think it's okay to say that, albeit with a caveat.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia