What type of person get Fibro??

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: What type of person get Fibro??

Postby changeoflife » Tue May 12, 2015 10:58 am

So do you think I didn't push myself hard enough through the pain? I always considered myself quite ruthless when dealing with illness and anything that stopped me when I had a task to do. How do you manage the pain? I was one that wouldn't even take parecetamal, would not have injections for fillings. Maybe this thing caught me at a bad time? I've tried really pushing myself through this at times, but have suffered the consequences.
Stand for something or fall for everything!
changeoflife
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue May 12, 2015 11:13 am

No. I'm just saying I have not yet reached that point. Hope I never do. It gets worse, month on month. I walk through pain levels now that would have had me screaming 2 years ago.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby changeoflife » Tue May 12, 2015 11:23 am

I really do hope you manage to maintain as normal a life as possible, I feel like I've failed myself, I thought I could work through any amount of pain. My employer is still trying to keep my job open after six months for me, but i think now I have run out of time. I have reached a level that I think I am in control with the minimum amount of meds, but my job envolved looking down microscopes and handling extremely small components (microns) that I just can't manage now. I constantly rack my brain to think what I could possibly do now, I don't think I could honestly put my name to a contract saying I was available or capable each day. It really saddens me. Stay one of the strong ones xx
changeoflife
UKFM Member

Postby Susan Stokes » Tue May 12, 2015 12:03 pm

It is the cruellest cut of all - independent, hard-working high achievers, to be brought down to this. If we were all lazy people in the first place it wouldn't seem so bad.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby changeoflife » Tue May 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Thanks Susan, I think the best word to describe my feelings is frustration, I had so much more to give, I had reached the highest level I could at work, I wouldn't even be able to teach someone without forgetting half way through. Trying to re-plan my life at 49 is hard. I planned to retire at 55, enjoy life to the full still, now, well who knows? I know I should count myself lucky, twice I've nearly ended up having major spine surgery which would of been pointless. And god only knows what might of happened. I know I'm still blessed in many ways, a doting husband, always there with a guiding hand and an ear ready for listening and 4 amazing children and 2 handsome step-sons. I will find a way to conquer this.
changeoflife
UKFM Member

Postby Patsb » Tue May 12, 2015 2:31 pm

changeoflife wrote:Maybe it's because we're fighters, we get dealt this card? I keep asking what I've done to deserve this sentence I've been given!! I had such plans for the furture, now I don't even know what I'm capable of from one day to the next :-? I think what I'm looking for, is a way of living a normal'ish life somehow.

I hate the weight gain that my body has taken on, the oh so slow staggered walking, the bumping into things, even with a guiding hand on me I still manage it, the hot flushes, the forgetfullness, the pain, the missed life, Fibro has stolen the life I had, and now I feel like a different person trying to find its way in my old life and somehow trying to find a way forward. I've gone from being so outgoing, to now having less than a couple of colleagues who contact me occassionally (probably after the guilt kicks in). I feel redundant, good for nothing. I loved my job, I felt needed, useful, intelligent, hard working (maybe too hard) now a good days work is being able to cook dinner and maybe put the washing out!! Someone, somewhere must be able to find a way to switch this dammed illness off!! I want my life back PLEASE :?: :?:

You could be describing me here :cry:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby changeoflife » Tue May 12, 2015 3:03 pm

It's maddening and so sad that there seems to be so many people like me (thanks for agreeing Patsb). I think when all is said and done, the best we can do for now is to push each other on, encourage each other not to give up, try to see the funny side of things when able, and maybe one day, fingers crossed, someone might find the answer we all search for xxxx
changeoflife
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Well....I would say I was always a bit lazy. Although the pain group said that as I used to work full time, maybe that wasn't the right description. But I didn't make a lot of effort outside of work I'll be honest.

changeoflife wrote:I think the best word to describe my feelings is frustration, I had so much more to give, I had reached the highest level I could at work, I wouldn't even be able to teach someone without forgetting half way through. Trying to re-plan my life at 49 is hard. I planned to retire at 55, enjoy life to the full still, now, well who knows?

This is where I am emotionally. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I would be unable in the short term (and possibly ever) to return to a job I loved, worked damn hard to get to the level I wanted, even paid for a Masters degree myself to get there! And now...I have no idea what I could do or when I could do it. I feel totally adrift and useless. And frustrated. And I'm only 36. I face a good 30 years before I get a pension (vastly less than it was going to be now I'm not earning) so what do I do in the meantime? I have no idea. I keep looking at jobs and having to discount them as there is too much stress, too many hours, too much driving...I am lost and I don't know what to do next.

Sorry for the self pity - I'm in a bad place atm :(
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby changeoflife » Tue May 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Try not to get yourself down, I know I have days when I think what's the point in going on, I can't beleive I had such a conversation with one of my daughters about ending it all. She brought me round quickly by saying 4 years at uni and all her hard work would be wasted, she would be devastated, and would not be able to carry on teaching. Sometimes a bit of self pity isn't so bad, but try to think about all the good things you would miss on your better days, I can talk till the cows come home, and do, to anyone that will listen :sleep: It does get a little easier when you accept it. Try to work with it, rest when your body tells you enough now. Enjoy things at a slower pace. I'm sure with your intelligence and some will power something will come along that fits in with fibro. Maybe working from home might be an option? Anyway, I know someone is always here to listen, and may have gone through similar steps as you! Ask for advice, and talk, it's good to clear the cobwebs, best wishes xxxxx
changeoflife
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:56 pm

Thanks, I have unfortunately been going downhill for a couple of months now but am hoping the cbt will help me. I'd love a job working from home although my partner does too sometimes so that's not helpful! ;-) But it's finding the right thing and not taking on something that will make me uber stressed..so we'll see.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia