Back and hip pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Back and hip pain

Postby Fibromummy2015 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi all

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in December 2012 after being in constant pain for 2 years. My gp prescribed me 10mg of amitriptaline at night and now the dose is 30mg at night, she also prescribed me co dydramol 8 mg/500 mg. Since then she refuses to change the strength of the pain relief as I am only 25.

Since June 2014 I have constant hip and lower back pain that at first only caused problems when I over did it but now it is severe and constant and even hurts when I'm sitting. I seen a rheumatologist in March 2013 where I was given the official diagnosis of fibromyalgia. When the hip pain started I was referred to X-ray and got an appointment for July 2013 they said the X-ray was clear. I am beginning to reach the end of my teather pain ways and was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what step to take next. I have a 4 year old daughter and feel that I need to get more help because it's just not fair on her.

Thanks in advance
Fibromummy2015
UKFM Newbie

Re: Back and hip pain

Postby cdcrossy » Tue May 12, 2015 6:44 pm

tell your gp you want a referral to pain consultant and they can change your tablets i have it all the time with the gp and when they don't help me i just ask for referral and if they say no say ur going to change gp and complain as they are not doing what you ask.
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby ursgirl » Tue May 12, 2015 7:19 pm

Sorry Firomummy I don't have the answer's but recently I've had terrible pain in
my hips - straight across the width. My daughter calls it a headache in my hips but, its not laughable really
just didn't realise it was Fibro connected xx Best Wishes for you
ursgirl
UKFM Newbie

Postby Hayleyed74 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi Fibromummy, I've had fibro extra for 25yrs now and know what your going through. When you first get diagnosed it is "trial and error" with the doctors trying different meds and strengths. They like to leave it a few months before trying something else but going that long is ridiculous. As Cdcrossy said, get referred to the pain clinic asap! They know so much more than gps with Fibro and are not afraid to give you better painkillers. Pregablin or Gabapentin will probably get suggested, they are both good but like all meds do sometimes give people side effects. It could even be that your suffering with sciatica too.. Is the pain going through the back hip and leg? As if you could actually follow the line of pain? Hope you get help asap!! Never give in and don't ever back down!!
Hayleyed74
UKFM Newbie

Postby Fibromummy2015 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:39 pm

Hayleyed74 wrote:Hi Fibromummy, I've had fibro extra for 25yrs now and know what your going through. When you first get diagnosed it is "trial and error" with the doctors trying different meds and strengths. They like to leave it a few months before trying something else but going that long is ridiculous. As Cdcrossy said, get referred to the pain clinic asap! They know so much more than gps with Fibro and are not afraid to give you better painkillers. Pregablin or Gabapentin will probably get suggested, they are both good but like all meds do sometimes give people side effects. It could even be that your suffering with sciatica too.. Is the pain going through the back hip and leg? As if you could actually follow the line of pain? Hope you get help asap!! Never give in and don't ever back down!!

I will definitely be asking for a referral to the pain clinic as I'm so fed up with my gp every time I ask for my pain relief to be upped she tells me no I'm too young. The pain spreads as far as my knees and have a grating and burning sensation in my hips. I went to physio when I was pregnant and they told me one hip is higher than the other so wondering if that's causing the issue too.

Thanks everyone for the advice I really appreciate it
Fibromummy2015
UKFM Newbie

Postby carolad » Tue May 12, 2015 8:38 pm

Sounds like sacroiliac joint pain, probably caused by a twisted pelvis if one hip is higher than the other. A good physio may be able to correct your pelvis alignment. I have the same problem but mine can't be corrected because it is connected to my scoliosis. I hope you find a decent physio who can help! X
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby jrules1fair » Tue May 12, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi i am having the same problems. I am getting chronic pain in my knees back and shoulder. I have previously seen a rheumatologist who diagnosed my fibromyalgia but because I was under a pain management consultant he discharged me. My pain consultant changed my one meds to patches and I have recently asked my gp to increase the strength of the patches guess what he refused he also refused to refer me back to rheumatologist and referred me to knee consultant who without reviewing me said that it was my fibromyalgia and wouldnt see me his excuses were he hasnt received the letter of the pain consultant am so fed up now feel like no one wants to take responsibility for me
jrules1fair
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia