feeling useless

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

feeling useless

Postby divingforPearls » Wed May 13, 2015 9:21 am

Hi, I'm fed up. It's just endless, this fibro horror. I swam 16 lengths yesterday (ie. HARDLY ANY AT ALL!), with a break in between in the sauna, and now I can hardly walk to the bathroom, let alone drive the kids to school. I just don't know how I'm meant to do any exercise. It's affecting every aspect of my life and the lives of my family. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere (able to swim 16 lengths, able to drive for 20 minutes or so, can stand up to do the washing up!) it turns out I'm not getting anywhere at all, and in fact due to the sheer number of years I've had this (17), it feels like I'm deteriorating. Years and years of pain and failure is wearing me down. It feels like this disease is 1 step forward 2 steps back, and then it's months of dragging myself back to the starting point again. I know my children love me regardless and that's what gets me through. Am I ever going to get any where?
divingforPearls
UKFM Member

Re: feeling useless

Postby Susan Stokes » Wed May 13, 2015 11:31 am

I'm 23 years into it and I have to say it doesn't get any better. Well done you for doing 16 lengths but you've obviously overdone it. If I'd done 1 length I would expect to feel like you the day after. It's hard knowing when to stop but if you don't you suffer the consequences. Everyone with fibro is different and we each have to work out what our limits are. Personally, I would start small and gradually build up, whatever the exercise (mine's gardening). Most of all you need to be kind to yourself, pushing ourselves too hard is probably what got us here in the first place.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Wed May 13, 2015 2:20 pm

You may want to look up lactic acid and how it affects us and our muscles.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby divingforPearls » Wed May 13, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks for your replies; Susan I guess I'm still forgetting about the pacing when all seems to be going well, and iblinkin; that seems to make sense from what I have just briefly read, as I have chronic anaemia and have to take Floradix iron supplements every month or I just can't function at all - so lack of iron = lack of body's ability to carry oxygen = more likely to be producing lactic acid when I exercise... Thanks for that info.
divingforPearls
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia