Is this TMJ?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is this TMJ?

Postby Lisa21 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:48 pm

I think I may have tmj as I have a really painful jaw,terrible ear pain and discomfort and don't get me started on the painful migraines! My dentist referred me to the clinic, as he believes I have tmj and I did not have any x rays or anything else, just examined and then sent me to have a mould for a guard at night. :-?
I have to go back in 4 months for follow up.

She told me that she cannot tell me if the pain is being caused by the grinding of my teeth or that it's fibro until I have tried to use the mouth guard. Has anyone else been told this?
Fibromyalgia, Costochondritis, Hypermobility, Asthma, Crohn's Disease,PCOS, Vitamin D & B12 Deficiency
Lisa21
UKFM Member

Re: Is this TMJ?

Postby Honeysmum » Tue May 19, 2015 12:02 am

I had the same my doc said peopke with fibro are more likely to have it. I used to go to a chiropractor when I had private health and that worked a treat but now have had physio. I am very uncomfortable with the guy who does it though obvs he is looking at my jaw etc but he is a very goodlooking bloke and it makes me feel v uncomfortable! No man has been that close to me for a while lol Hope you get sorted. :-)
Honeysmum
UKFM Newbie

Postby lancashire-lass » Tue May 19, 2015 8:04 am

Yes, I have the guard which I use at night and when ever I can feel myself starting to clench my teeth during the day and it works at treat.
lancashire-lass
UKFM Member

Postby Gentlydoesit » Tue May 19, 2015 7:46 pm

I have just collected my teeth guard today from the dentist today. Had to change dentist a month ago as my previous dentist was up three flights of stairs. No mention of a guard from them. My new dentist saw me and one month on I have the guard. Crossing fingers and hopefully it will help. :-D
Gentlydoesit
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:36 am

I have caught myself tensing my mouth, ever since being told I needed fillings ironically! Does it help with jaw ache and neck ache? I don't go back to see my dentist til Dec and getting appts is very tricky so I don't know whether to try.

Are they like removal braces? I used to have them and found they got really grim! :yikes:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia