keeping positive when ill

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

keeping positive when ill

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Mon May 25, 2015 10:28 am

Good morning :)

I've been ill this last week (a cold, laryngitis and now a chest infection) and searching for something positive to take my mind off my discomfort and also the pain of fibromyalgia. I've been feeling pretty sorry for myself. How to keep positive when ill? Yesterday, the sun made a brief appearance and I wanted to embrace the coming summer. I decided to make creamy desserts on a stick - healthy and inexpensive and keeping me feeling positive (or hopeful that we will have sun this summer and I can sit peacefully in the garden relaxing with my kindle and cats!).

This is my blog about having fibromyalgia and trying to keep positive.
Have fun with the kids this summer and try making fruity yoghurt ice lollies on a stick - they are easy to make!
http://clairescomfycorner.com/2015/05/2 ... n-a-stick/

Keep smiling :)
Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Re: keeping positive when ill

Postby Sarah_89 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:12 pm

These yoghurt ice lollies sound amazing, the possibilities are endless! I'm gonna try making them, thanks for sharing :-).

And I know how you feel, l'm ill at the moment too, I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with me. It all started when I took tramadol for the first time after being prescribed it instead of co-codamol as I was told it was better for fibro sufferers than co-codamol. I had a bad reaction to it & got bad side effects, feeling & being sick, feeling dizzy, headache & not being able to eat much. Either it mixed with something else I take or it just doesn't agree with me.

Anyway I've been feeling like this for 4 days now with only a slight improvement. I'm not sure if maybe I have a bug as well or something, I'm going back to the doctors tomorrow. I'm very annoyed & upset that tramadol has made me feel worse when I was very hopeful that it would help with my pain. I've had to take time off work & I've been feeling very sorry for myself & a bit depressed to be honest. I'm finding it very hard to be positive at the moment, I feel like it's one step forward two steps back when you have fibro with medication & doctors! Feel like pulling my hair out sometimes!

But reading about your lovely lollies has put a smile on my face. Since having fibromyalgia I've definitely learnt to find positivity & happiness in the little things, it doesnt have to be something huge to make a difference to your day. It can just be something that catches your eye & interests you. When I get depressed I find it difficult to be interested in anything & just feel like giving up, its an awful feeling bordering on suicidal & I hate myself for feeling like that. I'm just like what's the point but its often something small that brings me out of that feeling.
I am a fibro fighter! :-)

Keep fighting guys and gals and stay strong! Gentle hugs

Sarah x
Sarah_89
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Mon May 25, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi Sarah,

Definitely get yourself checked out tomorrow! Unfortunately Tramadol doesn't agree with everyone.

I try to find at least one positive in my day, sometimes it's the simplest thing - a snuggle with one of my cats, a rainbow, a child's smile. I'm glad you found a reason to smile today.

I hope you feel better soon!

Try to keep smiling :)
Claire
x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia :) x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby Sarah_89 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:59 pm

Thanks for the advice :-). I will now try & find at least one positive thing about my day, that should keep any depression at bay. I have a great boyfriend so he's usually a positive thing about my day. A child can definitely brighten my day, it gives me feelings of hope. I think finding things to be thankful for like family members & friends, so counting your blessings can be a great help too :-)

Sarah x
Sarah_89
UKFM Member

Postby Sarah_89 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:06 pm

Also, if possible could you give me some idea of how much of each ingredient I need to make those ice lollies?

Like how much juice, fruit & yoghurt would you recommend I should use to make say 4? That's usually how many you get when you buy those ice lolly moulds isn't it?

I haven't got any but when I feel better I'm gonna go out & buy some, oh & the ingredients I need to make the ice lollies of course! I do have a blender though!

Sarah x

Sarah x
Sarah_89
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Mon May 25, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi Sarah,

It's fantastic that your boyfriend is so great :) That's certainly a positive!

One of my blog entries is about celebrating each completed day as that is an accomplishment in itself. If you want to read it you can follow this link: http://clairescomfycorner.com/2015/04/2 ... in-itself/

For these fruity yoghurt ice lollies I used 150g of yoghurt but I've used more/less in the past, you can easily adjust to the consistency you want. This time I used about 200mls of apple juice, but again adjust to your own preference - just like you would when making a smoothie. A handful of raspberries and one banana was also added. There was enough of the mixture for 4 ice lolly moulds and a small glass of smoothie. It's all about experimenting with flavours and each time they come out different but they are delicious. Healthy too :)

Keep smiling!
Claire
x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby Sarah_89 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi Claire,

Yes I don't know what I'd do without his & my family's support. Having fibro can be very lonely at times :(

I read the blog and it might not look like we've accomplished much to people who don't have fibro or any other chronic pain illness, but what they don't realise is that there are so many other things to think about when trying to get through the day that non-sufferers take for granted. Here are a couple of examples:

1. having to think how much pain an activity will cause, one thing for me would be buying clothes or deciding what to wear from my wardrobe because clothes make my body hurt if e.g. they're too tight or have elastic that sits on my ribs (as if it isn't difficult enough already for women to decide what to wear!!!)

2. assessing how tired an activity will make me feel, e.g. I went on a romantic mini break to Verona for a couple of days with my boyfriend for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. Now, I wanted to rush around and see all the sights but I knew this would tire me out. So it was a constant battle between wanting to enjoy myself and my body feeling exhausted and in pain. Non-sufferers might think we're 'putting it on' or lazy and that we have no problem doing something that we want to do but when it comes to something we don't, e.g. going to work, all of a sudden we're too sick. This isn't the case because I'd been looking forward to going to Verona for months, I'd done a lot of planning for it & I wanted to enjoy it. I tried so hard not to let it ruin things & it was a great trip, but my fibro didn't just disappear because I was doing something I wanted to do.

I made the ice lollies this morning using about 175ml of orange juice, a handful of strawberries, 1 banana & 150g of raspberry yoghurt. It made 4 ice lollies and quite a big glass of smoothie! I tasted it and it's delish, can't wait for the ice lollies to freeze so I can try one! will probably try one tonight :-)

Sarah x

Sarah x
Sarah_89
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Wed May 27, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi Sarah :)

I hope you enjoy the ice lollies. I find that they are great to use up yoghurt that is soon out of date,, they only take minutes to make and kids love them.

I wish fibro would just disappear but it won't, now I'm not as active as I used to be I understand I need breaks. Sometimes I just have to sit down in the town centre, to take a break and I use that time to people watch! Your boyfriend, I'm sure, understands when you need to pace yourself.

Keep smiling :)
Claire
x
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby Sarah_89 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi :-)

I just had one of the ice lollies, didn't end up having one last night because I had the smoothie & didn't wanna have the ice lolly as well cos I thought it might give me a stomach ache! And the verdict is... amazing, divine, heavenly!!! That's for the smoothie & the ice lolly! The one I had, had a couple of small pieces of strawberry in it & they have little pieces of raspberry from the yoghurt, it was a real treat :-).

Me and my dad shared the smoothie, my mum didn't like it :( I think cos she doesn't like raspberries but I think she'll like the ice lolly cos the flavour isn't as strong. I live with my parents & they are yet to try the ice lollies, but they will soon, oh & my boyfriend cos I made 4 :-).

I'm really getting into making these smoothie ice lollies, I think I'm gonna call them smoothie sticks, it has a nice ring to it!

I've thought of 9 more flavours this morning already that I'm gonna try! I wrote them down & I'm more than happy to share them :) you could try them if you haven't already! All of them would have 1 banana in them so I'm gonna leave that out of the ingredients list so I don't have to keep typing it! Some are a work in progress though but here goes...

Apple

Apple juice
Apple pieces (green or red)
Some sort of yoghurt with apple in it (I think I've seen something like a blackcurrant & apple yoghurt in M&S)

M&S have a great selection of interesting yoghurt flavours!

Orange/Tropical/Orange & Mango (the official flavours will depend on how they taste & what colour they come out!)

Tropical juice
Orange or tangerine, satsuma etc pieces
Mango yoghurt

Lemon

Lemon juice (possibly diluted, sugar free of course! Or pure if I can find one maybe with lemon in the ingredients but it might spoil the colour... hmmm I guess I'll just have to use diluted then! Yeah I'm totally making this up as I go along lol!)
Lemon yoghurt (I think Activia does one & it's really creamy & has lemon pieces in it :-))
Kiwi pieces (why not & it shouldn't spoil the colour too much!)

Pineapple

Pineapple juice
Pineapple pieces
Mango yoghurt (cos it goes well with pineapple & again shouldn't spoil the colour too much!)

Strawberry

Raspberry/cranberry juice
Strawberry pieces
Strawberry yoghurt

Raspberry or Mixed Berries

Raspberry yoghurt
Cranberry juice
Mixed berries (possibly just raspberries but because of my mum's dislike of raspberries, I thought I'd use mixed berries then the flavour of raspberries might not be as strong!)

Blackcurrant

Blackcurrant yoghurt
Mixed berries juice
Mixed berries

Black cherry

Black cherry yoghurt
Black cherres
Black cherry juice (If it exists! If not I'll just use mixed berries juice or something that wont spoil the colour!)

Mango

Tropical juice
Mango pieces
Mango yoghurt

So as you can see I've been taking this very seriously! It's been a wonderful distraction from my flare up & my granddad is ill & is getting his test results back today. We're all very worried :(

I'd like to thank you for introducing me to this welcome distraction :-) xxx

Sarah x
Sarah_89
UKFM Member

Postby Sarah_89 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:48 pm

Claire'scomfycorner wrote:
I wish fibro would just disappear but it won't, now I'm not as active as I used to be I understand I need breaks. Sometimes I just have to sit down in the town centre, to take a break and I use that time to people watch! Your boyfriend, I'm sure, understands when you need to pace yourself.

Yes that's what I've started to do now when I'm out & about I sit down & take breaks. Also at work I mostly work on the tills in my shop & we can have chairs but there isn't enough for everyone. Mostly just the women with health problems use them. It's nice to sit down & rest on the tills but you have to get up sometimes, it's a bit difficult to do the job entirely on a chair, but you have to exercise a bit then rest, that's the key!

Yes my boyfriend is very understanding that I need to pace myself & is often the one telling to! He goes 'don't over do it'.

Sarah x
Sarah_89
UKFM Member

Postby Claire'scomfycorner » Thu May 28, 2015 9:19 pm

Sarah you are a marvel! I'm definitely going to try all your combinations this summer. I love the name smoothie sticks :)

Keep smiling!
Claire
xx
Claire'scomfycorner
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Thu May 28, 2015 11:45 pm

I must get some lolly moulds as I often fall in with the smoothie ingredients and end up trying to drink it all as hubbie isnt so keen, now i can make smoothie sticks with the rest of it, brilliant idea, one of my faves and actually is the one i make most often is

banana
apple juice
rasps
blueberrys
plain yougurt or when im feeling naughty i put in toffee fudge icecream to make it a banoffee one lol
galio
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri May 29, 2015 8:45 am

Good to see people keeping a positive attitude :)

I have one thing above all others that keeps me going on the worst of days (and since I work full time and have a pretty busy set of hobbies, a big house, and 4 pets, I sometimes need it) and that's a simple one - this is not going to kill me. It could have turned out to be MS, or Parkinsons, or cancer, but it isn't, so every time I start wallowing a bit, I think about that, and that's the kick up the bum I need. Other than the FM, I'm a fit and healthy 49 year old, some of my school friends are already dead.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby TheHud » Fri May 29, 2015 9:07 am

SchroedingersCat wrote:Good to see people keeping a positive attitude :)

I have one thing above all others that keeps me going on the worst of days (and since I work full time and have a pretty busy set of hobbies, a big house, and 4 pets, I sometimes need it) and that's a simple one - this is not going to kill me. It could have turned out to be MS, or Parkinsons, or cancer, but it isn't, so every time I start wallowing a bit, I think about that, and that's the kick up the bum I need. Other than the FM, I'm a fit and healthy 49 year old, some of my school friends are already dead.

That's what I tell myself, no matter how bad the pain it alone, inc the spasms will not leave permanent damage and will not kill me. I suspect my dad has always had it. Same princess and the pea thing with beds, seams anything tight, always moving then zonk in the chair for a 1 minute cat nap etc. He is 92, blames all his pain on his motorcycling career that has broken every bone, morphine does not remove his pain but amyl helps him catch a couple of hours sleep before his back, legs, arms and shoulders fire up or go into cramp and he needs to wander around. But he still drives his MX5, mows his big lawns, cuts trees and hedges to within an inch of their lives, decorates, cooks and goes out with his 60 year old friends, pain and stiffness permitting. We both hobble the same, same eye problems, same slightly drunken totter, same very painful stiff hands that seem to shrivel up or swell, same with feet.

Of course I dare not mention the name of the potential disease, not even in the same breath as my name, he is a defo all in the mind, his pain and cramp has a reason. But sometimes I look at him and we pass a little message across and I know he knows and I recon the docs have told him.
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Sun May 31, 2015 12:22 pm

Tried to make the ice lollys and they were horrible :dunno: Very icey I was expecting creamy. Any ideas please for when the summer eventually comes. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia