PIP Assessment - help!!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

PIP Assessment - help!!

Postby FionaG » Mon May 25, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice please. I have my PIP assessment appointment on Wednesday afternoon and I'm worried about what to say or what not to say! It's also miles away from me, so I'm going to have to drive 15/20mins to the train station, then get the train (25mins), then walk about 10/15mins from the train station to the place, & obviously the same back home again, which will totally exhaust me AND cause me mega pain - should I tell them this, or tell them someone dropped me off?! I've had to give up working due to fibro symptoms, so I really need to get the PIP to help me out, but I'm so worried about doing or saying the wrong thing! Has anyone got any advice please?!

Thanks! :-)
Last edited by FionaG on Mon May 25, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FionaG
UKFM Member

Re: PPI Assessment - help!!

Postby murph » Mon May 25, 2015 4:02 pm

They will ask loads of questions answer them if its your worst day .and try take someone with u
murph
UKFM Newbie

Re: PPI Assessment - help!!

Postby bandj » Mon May 25, 2015 4:17 pm

I would definitely take someone with you, just for support. Take any supporting documents, letters from consultants, gp, details of past medical help, ie, hydrotherapy. And don't try and be positive, tell thrm like it ison your worst days. Try not to wworry about the assessment, I know it's hard, but worrying won't help.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Re: PIP Assessment - help!!

Postby didavo » Mon May 25, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi FionaG, I've got my pip assessment on Wednesday morning and my benefits advisor has told me not to tell them you walked or used public transport as you'll lose points. If they ask you if you have a mobile phone that you use, you'll lose points if you say yes to that as well. When it comes to preparing meals tell them that you can't do it to a safe and acceptable standard. With everything else just answer as if it's your worst day. Good luck with your assessment
didavo
UKFM Newbie

Postby KenRP » Mon May 25, 2015 8:51 pm

Loads of help and advice here...

http://fightback.boards.net/forum
KenRP
UKFM Member

Postby Honeysmum » Tue May 26, 2015 12:20 am

If that is what your journey looks like then you should definitely have someone drive you and support you at the interview. Tell them that you wouldn't have been able to attend otherwise as journey like that is beyond you. If that can't be organised that quickly ask for another appt. I took a friend for support and she was invaluable as I get upset very easily and she was able to talk for me a little.
Remember to answer the questions and give examples as if its your worst fibro day, not an average/good day.
I suffer from chronic depression so there was a certain amount of my assessment addressing that too but think we all have it to one degree or another as we struggle with the changes that fibro has made to our lives. I too had to give up working and a career I loved and was very good at. I was a training consultant and would travel around the UK helping companies with their training and development. Nowadays I have goals like have shower AND wash my hair in one day - and I don't often achieve my goals.
Good luck, I was granted standard level for both parts of PIP and didn't have to appeal, so I was lucky.
Dxx
Honeysmum
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lucylastik » Tue May 26, 2015 9:21 am

didavo wrote:my benefits advisor has told me not to tell them you walked or used public transport as you'll lose points. If they ask you if you have a mobile phone that you use, you'll lose points if you say yes to that as well.

I get that walking is bad but using a mobile phone? How can that lose you points if you can't get up to answer a landline? I am bedridden a lot of the time so I use my phone to see what time it is, keep in touch with my partner at work, answer emails. Things i can do lying flat on my back. I don't see how they can penalise you for that?
“You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
What mood is that?
Last-minute panic.”

― Calvin & Hobbes.
Lucylastik
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Tue May 26, 2015 10:37 am

Just tell the truth.
Good Luck.x
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby FionaG » Tue May 26, 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks everyone. I've had to phone and rearrange it because noone can take me. :( They said I can't get a home visit unless I'm completely housebound! So I now need to wait another 2 + 1/2 weeks for another appointment! I could cry!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
FionaG
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia