Invisible illness:what does Fibro look like

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Invisible illness:what does Fibro look like

Postby tkent » Tue May 26, 2015 7:25 pm

the NHS posted this photo a few weeks ago,
as we all know Fibro is invisible and for non sufferers it can be difficult to understand because they cannot visibly see it, there are no scar's no cuts etc but the NHS said this is what Fibro would look like if it where visible to us. the image is attached in the link.
Attachments
10603417_10152407915703342_4485548792036122606_n.jpg
this is what fibro would look like if it were visible
10603417_10152407915703342_4485548792036122606_n.jpg (79 KiB) Viewed 5127 times
Keep Fighting, Stay Strong !!
Tanya
x
tkent
UKFM Member

Re: Invisible illness:what does Fibro look like

Postby Queenie_70 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:35 pm

Scary, yet accurate!

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby tkent » Tue May 26, 2015 8:08 pm

my thoughts exactly

x
Keep Fighting, Stay Strong !!
Tanya
x
tkent
UKFM Member

Postby Sarah_89 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:02 pm

That, unfortunately, is exactly how it feels and would look if it was visible! Scary :(
I am a fibro fighter! :-)

Keep fighting guys and gals and stay strong! Gentle hugs

Sarah x
Sarah_89
UKFM Member

Postby Patsb » Wed May 27, 2015 1:59 pm

I often say to my. Husband it feels like someone has taken a baseball bat to my knees. That's prob what they would look like too. :shock:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:25 pm

Queenie_70 wrote:Scary, yet accurate!

xxx

Yes, this.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby UnderSiege » Thu May 28, 2015 8:25 am

Gross!

Mine has not spread quite to that extent yet, at least not for 90+% of the time but I've often wished it would bruise up so ppl could see it.
Here's a thing though, in the last two weeks it's got in my feet a lot. I had to walk back from the village yesterday, a distance of not more than a mile and my feet hurt so bad I was weaving all over and almost fainting. I've had tough walks in the past year or two but that was the worst. I made it home but had to go and crash straight away. Depressed the hell out of me because I'm known for my walking. I used to walk a lot. When I lived in Slough in my teens and early twenties I used to go to Iver and back most days on foot and my record for walking from Englefield Green to Slough, another trip I used to make frequently, was a little over an hour.

Is that normal for it to just shift to new places so quickly like that?

I wouldn't be surprised as though my health has been very dodgy on and off for years, since last September it's got worse threefold and I'm worried.
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Postby Sarah_89 » Thu May 28, 2015 12:14 pm

UnderSiege, the same kind of thing happened to me too sort of.

The pain was just in my back & ribs from roughly 17 - 23 years old. I would get pains in my legs, feet & knees & get tired if e.g. I walked a long distance or did a long shift at work (I work in a shop so am on my feet all day) but I thought it was just normal like everyone else because all my friends would complain that their legs hurt too & that they were tired after e.g. a long day or a heavy night out! So I was just like yeah I feel the same! I would always feel better after a night's sleep or in a day or 2, again like most people.

But then about 2 - 3 years ago the pain in my legs didn't go away, it was there constantly, worst of all in my knees. Then I started to get pain in my chest which was very worrying cos I have asthma & it was affecting my breathing so I actually thought that's what was causing the pain.

All of this happened gradually so that's why I said the same thing sort of, but I was still able to get on with my life, it was just a nuisance. Then suddenly after I banged my head at work at the end of a late shift, I think cos I was so tired that I lost concentration for a split second & I'm also really clumsy anyway, I was diagnosed with fibro & it deteriorated rapidly.

Now at the age of 26 I'm in pain all over my body, I feel fatigued & get tired easily, I can't walk for too long or do anything too strenuous because it causes me great pain and fatigue. I still work in the same shop but I'm struggling with it to be honest. I have told them that I can't do anything too strenuous & they have been quite understanding & put me on lighter duties. But I have quite a bit of time off sick. I'm off sick at the moment & I'm worried about my future there :( not so much that they would sack me, although they do pull you up for bad attendance, but I'm feeling increasingly incapable of doing the job. I can't just leave for financial reasons though. So I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment! :-?
I am a fibro fighter! :-)

Keep fighting guys and gals and stay strong! Gentle hugs

Sarah x
Sarah_89
UKFM Member

Postby TheHud » Thu May 28, 2015 12:52 pm

I usually say i feel like I have done 15 rounds with Mike Tyson and then someone dragged me behind a car over gravel.

The burning sabres being slowly inserted across and down my back and various other part, just for fun, have eased with Lyrica.

I left my full time, management job, well paid etc 10 years ago. Fact is if i had not left i would have been pushed. I was not pulling my weight. I had hoped to get better, that's a laugh, thought it was an early menopause.
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:29 pm

many years back I watched an episode of
The Next Generation with Kate as commander
one after the other fell ill and the hologram doctor could not find anything
somehow 7's eyepiece went out of sync and she could see that the ship was invaded by aliens invisible to the human eye
we as audience could then see them through her eye so to speak
the aliens used the humans as lab rats so to speak

I am not saying we are used by aliens
it might just help explain if you are either a trek freak :alien: :alien: :alien: or of certain age
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby TheHud » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:45 pm

fibro-lu wrote:many years back I watched an episode of
The Next Generation with Kate as commander
one after the other fell ill and the hologram doctor could not find anything
somehow 7's eyepiece went out of sync and she could see that the ship was invaded by aliens invisible to the human eye
we as audience could then see them through her eye so to speak
the aliens used the humans as lab rats so to speak

I am not saying we are used by aliens
it might just help explain if you are either a trek freak :alien: :alien: :alien: or of certain age

That made me giggle :)
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:39 pm

found a link but don't know how to attach it with my phone
anyway the episode was called
Scientific Method
Star Trek Voyager
Season 4, Episode 7
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:05 pm

Heh, I've described my FM as being like a skitter harness from Falling Skies, if that means anything to anyone. Like an alien thing trying to take over my body, and held at bay only by my mind...
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby UnderSiege » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:47 pm

Yes SchroedingersCat, I get the Falling Skies one but never really thought of it that way.

I got the Falling Skies Season 1-2 boxset last year on a whim (it was being discounted so I thought why not?)

It's a pretty good series, I hear season 3 gets better still, and it goes well with the staples of my TV diet (which is all boxsets or Netflix/NowTV and includes the likes of The Walking Dead, Fringe, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones, Arrested Development, The IT Crowd, Arrow, Daredevil and Turn: Washington's Spies) My family say I watch too much TV but it took me 2 years to get through that and I didn't have a TV or internet for years despite them trying to force TV's on me...
2 years ago: "Have our spare TV, you must be awfully bored..."
This year: "You have 3 boxsets on your shelf, you watch too much rubbish..."

Falling Skies was just right to fill in the spaces between the World Cup games I allowed myself to watch last year (I only become a football fan for World Cups and Euro's. Last year I was a Netherlands and Germany fan because of my most recent ancestry and you just know England are going to be a let down)

TV scheduling is a bit dry right now so I'm trying to game instead but the concentration just isn't there so I'm withering from boredom and having no anti-pain distraction.

Bah!
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:43 am

I remember that episode of Voyager well Lu, in fact I remember far too many episodes from each Trekkie franchise all too well!! It definitely does feel like some sort of invisible force is doing things to our bodies as at times it seems to be the only explanation for how things feel!!

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia