Occupational health

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Occupational health

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri May 29, 2015 1:19 pm

At the start of the year, feeling so much better after the rest over the Xmas holidays, I put in a formal request to be able to work from home on Wednesdays. We're a small but rapidly growing business, and they've always been very relaxed about people working from home for the odd day here and there, but I wanted to get it in writing that I need it on health grounds. We don't have an HR dept, and despite much nagging, it took 4 months to get anything more than, 'if you need a day at home, just ask' - needless to say I've barely taken any, other than for deliveries, vet visits and the electricians doing some work, as I feel like it's admitting I'm not well enough to work. They finally got around to talking to me properly about the whole thing, and the result was an appointment with a private occupational health practice in North Leeds. My OH thinks they wanted this so they could wave a bit of paper at everyone else, so that the other staff can't start demanding regular days working from home as well. Either way, I was a bit apprehensive, given how much folk on here seem to have problems with getting help or even belief from medical practitioners. I went on Wednesday and needn't have worried, the chap was an ex GP and totally clued up on FM, he not only supported me fully but actually hammered home the point that this is a disability under the Equality Act and they should really be making any reasonable adjustments, which he feels this is. My good luck with the medical profession in regards to my FM seems to be holding up :)

Just thought I'd say again that there ARE decent medical professionals out there who don't think we're making it up.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: Occupational health

Postby soupdragon » Fri May 29, 2015 2:07 pm

I too have just had a successful meeting with an OH private practitioner who seconded my G.P's opinion that I was unfit for work and has asked my employers to allow me to sit more at work when I do return as standing for considerable lengths of time has partly caused the state i am in now and have, in the past, been told nothing can be done about it. Its refreshing to find a medical professional who knows and understands about fibro and is prepared to listen and act in your interest, as my present G.P. is also doing. After 15 years of suffering its good to know that someone is listening and cares.
soupdragon
UKFM Newbie

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri May 29, 2015 2:12 pm

I've been so lucky from day one, never had a bad one! I know I'm an exception.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Fri May 29, 2015 6:43 pm

My work's OH is usually very good, at least as regards to my situation. They're now looking at ill health retirement for me. They keep sending my gp more forms so I keep getting asked to see my gp. Thankfully, he's very good and takes time to go through things with me.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:02 pm

Glad to hear it SC.

A lot of people fear going to Occ Health, but actually it can work very well as their opinion often forces workplaces to make changes that they otherwise wouldn't want to, because a medical professional is telling them to! It really is worth going for the most part.

It also demonstrates why it's so important to ask and be clear. Workplaces will often do anything to avoid making formal changes as they are difficult to then alter. So be prepared to be clear about what you are asking, the regularity, the benefits, etc.

If anyone wants any help doing this then either post here or pm me :)
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia