work

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

work

Postby sheppy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi, was just wondering what I could claim for if I had to give up work, this was my first day back after 5 weeks of sick, and have to go part time,if I wasn't able to work anymore with the fibro would it affect claiming cause my husband has a goodish job and decent wage, only done one day and my legs are like dead weights and won't stop tingling x
sheppy
UKFM Member

Re: work

Postby steffard » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Hiya there,

I have just handed in my resignation letter this morning for a job I loved doing. I was only there three months and I felt like one of the gang, had a good rapport with everyone, but although I tried to hide the amount of pain I was in, it all caught up with me and am now going through a massive flare up and the depression had set in hard and I feel so damned useless. I wish I knew my limits but they vary from day to day. My head says I can do these types of jobs but my body and fibro have other things in mind.

A week before I left I got a fit note from my GP which said I may be fit for work if the company were to put me on light duties, but I was only able to work two days before needing to.take time off sick again, and this morning I called the DWP and got put through to the ESA claim line, who told me I would need my.GP to sign me off as unfit for work.

I have also ahead to try and reclaim Personal independence payments too as I have been refused yet again and missed my chance to take my appeal to the upper tribunal.

Good luck in your quest for benefits and I hope we both feel better soon.

Steffard :-)

Life's too short to be p***ed off all the time, cos you gotta laugh otherwise you'll cry :-/
steffard
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jasperheidi » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:19 pm

Guys, i was diagnosed with fms but another consultant diagnosed haemochromatosis(HH). If ye suffer fatigue, general aches n pains, tingling n burning pain, poor memory.....these r all symptoms of HH. Rule out HH with.fasting iron blood tests. Its SO easy treat!!!
Jasperheidi
UKFM Member

Postby mollymin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi sheppy,
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 14 years ago. I was a nurse and managed to change my job several times to accomodate the illness for 6 years .I finally realised I just couldn't continue, but was really scared of the financial implications.my husband earns a reasonably good salary but not enough to cover all our out goings.
I went onto long term sick leave for a year, then mutually agreed with my employer not to renew my contract.
I applied for DLA and ESA, and receive both at the highest rates. I now have more coming in per month than I did when I worked 4 shifts a week.

It's daunting to think about going through the applications necessary for the benefits but I have never had any problems.

I should have left work much sooner than I did. I really believe I would be better than I am if I had.
Good luck
Mollymin
mollymin
UKFM Newbie

Postby sheppy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:25 pm

Might have to give claiming a go soon, I do home care, too busy looking after other people than looking after myself, my legs r so heavy after a shift and driving is getting a bit hard with shaky legs, work doesn't realise the extent of fibro even though I told them, they still think am wonder woman and asking me to do extra calls and working on my day off, it bloody sucks..
sheppy
UKFM Member

Postby Lucylastik » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:09 pm

steffard wrote:I called the DWP and got put through to the ESA claim line, who told me I would need my.GP to sign me off as unfit for work.

I had to give up work in February of this year after a steady decline of years of muscle and joint problems, exhaustion, sleep disorders, hypthyroidism, PCOS and IBS. I haven't claimed any benefits yet as my partner has recently changed job and we didn't know what his pay would settle at. He had to take a pay cut and it's really hard making ends meet. We were thinking of just trying working tax benefits but we have both worked all our lives and have NO IDEA what we would be entitled to.

Could someone give me the ESA number and tell me what it is please? Also what are the criteria for claiming it?
“You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
What mood is that?
Last-minute panic.”

― Calvin & Hobbes.
Lucylastik
UKFM Member

Postby TheHud » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:10 am

Lucylastik wrote:
steffard wrote:I called the DWP and got put through to the ESA claim line, who told me I would need my.GP to sign me off as unfit for work.

I had to give up work in February of this year after a steady decline of years of muscle and joint problems, exhaustion, sleep disorders, hypthyroidism, PCOS and IBS. I haven't claimed any benefits yet as my partner has recently changed job and we didn't know what his pay would settle at. He had to take a pay cut and it's really hard making ends meet. We were thinking of just trying working tax benefits but we have both worked all our lives and have NO IDEA what we would be entitled to.

Could someone give me the ESA number and tell me what it is please? Also what are the criteria for claiming it?

I started here. I have ESA based on contributions so you can apply for that hopefully. The numbers are here they are free phone. I suggest you get everything you need ready inc nat insurance number. Put your phone on speaker phone so you can rummage through your info.
https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-a ... w-to-claim

It was fast, within 2 weeks for the initial assessment followed by the medical form. You will need sick notes and its best if you get one first to run from the day you want your claim to start. Your GP should know all about this. i also got a print out from him with my diagnosis and treatment on it. You can ask for a full printout of all notes on the system too. For now the short version will do to help you during the phone call.

This stage is not as bad as expected and the chap I spoke to was very helpful.

Good luck

I have now sent off the medical form (get guidance on filling it in when it arrives)
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby sheppy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:45 pm

Is in bed already, shooting pains in legs, having to work in morning so hopefully these sleepers work tonight x
sheppy
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Even if your partner works you can still claim ESA Contributions. if you have been in work you should qualify for the money side of it. If you're not entitled to money, they will pay your national insurance contributions to protect your pension.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:07 pm

TheHud wrote:I have now sent off the medical form (get guidance on filling it in when it arrives)

I'm doing mine now and it's giving me a headache! Any tips?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby sheppy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:35 pm

thats it, told work cant do it now its too much for me, think a call to dart is in order to help me with claiming disability and what else i can get, its not fair not being able to do anything with my 10 year old son...
sheppy
UKFM Member

Postby TheHud » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:08 pm

Zia2014 wrote:
TheHud wrote:I have now sent off the medical form (get guidance on filling it in when it arrives)

I'm doing mine now and it's giving me a headache! Any tips?

I have not heard anything yet so my attempts may very well be an absolute mess, but I used this as a guide after reading about this. Mt hubby completed it online for me, it took us about 2 weeks in bits because there is limited space online, you can add another sheet but by then I was so miserable about being like this, reading it in full technicolour, so to speak, I just had it sent off, recorded deliver.

https://kittysjones.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/1560/

http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/support/f ... g-esa.html
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:54 pm

That's great, thank you! Need to send mine off this week. Good luck with yours :)
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia