weather effects

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

weather effects

Postby ouchisme » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:13 am

I seem to change different types of pain to the weather. From the obvious of cold, rain etc. But the humidity is making me feel squashed up and then causes horrendous fatigue that i can't do anything. As sensory overload is making me feel yuck.
Do other members have the same problems Spring through to Autumn? What can i do to fight against it?
Had symptoms for 5yrs. Dx February 2011
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Re: weather effects

Postby TheHud » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:42 am

ouchisme wrote:I seem to change different types of pain to the weather. From the obvious of cold, rain etc. But the humidity is making me feel squashed up and then causes horrendous fatigue that i can't do anything. As sensory overload is making me feel yuck.
Do other members have the same problems Spring through to Autumn? What can i do to fight against it?

Move abroad to a climate that rarely changes, I am as soon as we are at retirement age. If I make it that far the finishing line keeps moving. Think we will end up taking it all early regardless of loss. My arthritis is so much better when its warm and there is a pool to just float around in. The cool pool helps relax the muscles and keep my skin cool. You don't notice the sweats and burning skin so much because its warm aanyway and you have a pool. Plus the food changes to oils, lemon, breads, salads, wine even, don't drink the stuff at any other time as it gives me acid reflux. In fact all this list here does, not when I am away though.

Don't get me wrong I love the seasons here and have much to keep me/us here, but when we dream, even though we have a lovely home and today the sun shines so I am on the balcony, still the need for consistent weather, not low high pressures moving around all the time. Weather stability and warmth to move and not tense up, makes a massive difference to me.
TheHud
UKFM Member

Re: weather effects

Postby Gracious » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:05 pm

Fibro can result in sensitivities to atmospheric changes. For some Fibro fighters they will prefer colder weather and function better, others will function better in warmer weather. Humidity and dampness seems affect everyone and Fibro is very reactive to this type of weather.

One option is to create a room within your home to regulate the atmopshere. This may mean investing in what ever is necessary to aid from extra heaters, dehumidifiers, air purifiers, fans, air conditioner etc, depending on your own symptoms and needs. Its about giving yourself a space to feel as comfortable as is possible, and get some relief.

My own adjustments have included getting an Air purifier. I live with my parents, both smokers, which is a nightmare for my hypersenitive sense of smell. It feels like I'm choking, nose and thoat burning, tongue tinglying and the taste, I could vomit. And thats only when I am in my own room, never mind when I go into their lounge. Its even worse in the winter when they keep the windows closed. Now the option of moving out is not available to me and the begging them to stop smoking failed. I looked into how I could manage my symptoms and reduce the uncomfortableness and the Air purifier worked for me. So my day room and bedroom became a no go zone to them and the air purifier did the rest. So when my senses are feeling overloaded, which is when I get a migraine/tired/fatigued, I have a wee sanctuary to go to when needed.

For the winter purchased an extra heater for my room to top up the heating when I get cold, because sometimes its warm enough in the house but not for my fibro body especially when I get tired/fatigued.

Other items I used when necessary is a large fan for when I start to really over heat. Started getting burning episodes two years ago, can last upto 8 hours, triggered by all sorts and worse in the warm summer. I am currently saving for the Air Conditioner now.

There are loads of solutions to help ease things a little. For me just creating and finding spaces that help me to reduce my sypmtoms and gain some relief has helped. We all need a wee place of sancturay for those hypersensitive, symptomatic times.

Hope this is of some help

With loving kindness
Gracious
Gracious
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia