Pain free?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Pain free?

Postby Baby-Hedgehog » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:57 am

Should have added I am on meds - not many, as I've tried and discounted a number, due to side effects that are to hard to function with. I'm now on 2 x Co-codamol tablets twice a day, 2 x 25mg Phenergen (for sleeping), Ibuprofen gel at night, omeprazole and buscopan (as I've managed to flare up my old digestive problems by dieting and now can't tolerate a raise in pain killers), and loratadine to combat the itching from the codeine! Desperately trying to manage any flare-ups with TENS machine, hot water bottles and rest - cos I just can't take any extra meds.

I also take Vitamin D supplements (which the doctor has said I will probably need for life), plus cod liver oil tablets (can't hurt) and magnesium+ zinc to help with the muscle twitching (which was getting out of control and wrecking what little sleep I have).
Baby-Hedgehog
UKFM Member

Postby UnderSiege » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi Baby-Hedgehog

I hope today sees you Fibro free and well.
I just read your post where you mentioned the itching from codeine. I assume that's from the Co-codamol...
Y'know, for years I've been getting insane itching which is increasingly getting worse. I'll be fine for days but then from out of nowhere I'll have either a mass of wandering itches which scratching only alleviates for a minute or two...

Or itches that feel like they're on my right knee for example but aren't... I end up scratching up and down my leg not being able to find the source and kill the itch all the time becoming more frustrated with the itch which gets steadily worse. Then I find it either on a part of my leg I've already scratched or sometimes even elsewhere (like my tummy) but by then where I've scratched is red and sore because if I scratch moderately hard it feels like I've burned myself there.

I had no idea that it could be a med I've taken for 15 odd years now that could be responsible.
I'm not quitting though, Co-codamol and Fencino are the only real pain relief I have because like you, many things clash with my guts and I just can't afford to be wasted though I have tried some stronger meds, many helped with the pain a lot more than Co-codamol but left me virtually unable to think and one of them, tramadol (which caused me to dehydrate because I didn't have the wits to even drink) left me chuckling at Eastenders (?) and drooling on myself for 3 hours... (lol, I think...)

Have a good one!
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Postby Baby-Hedgehog » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi UnderSiege

I never would have known, had I not gone to the doctor having scratched my skin raw - he was the one that told me of the side-effect. It really is worth taking some anti-histamines to counteract it.... I still get the odd itchy day, but nothing like it used to be - it was so bad at times I was scratching and twitching all night... felt like creepy-crawlies were all over me........ horrid!

Best of luck xx
Baby-Hedgehog
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:21 am

Morning folks. I'm not long back from a pretty active week's holiday in Scotland, where I spent several days more or less pain and exhaustion free, apart from the odd twinge from my hip for a bit after a very long walk.

Conclusion: my desk job is making me sicker :(
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia