Tracking Pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tracking Pain

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:12 am

Hi all,

Long time, no posts from me....do I hear a collective sigh of relief:P

Recently, I believe it was Brian Barr, asked if the weather made a difference to our pain. At that time I realised that the cold really did a number on my flares, especially in my hands. Having said that though, I decided I would just make a mental note of what the weather and my pain combined was like. So far the summer hasn't been that great, but in the last week with mild(ish) weather, my pain has gone from my normal horrible to excruciating and almost non-functional level. Typing this my fingers are on fire!!!

I am having the mother of all flares right now, but I also wonder if that is related to my stress level. My partners mother passed, he was diagnosed with Type II diabetes, and then I had to kick him out of my house....drinking and depression are not a good mix....now my blood pressure readings are through the roof so the clinic wants me to come in a chat about that, my cholesterol is apparently too high also, so my GP is talking Statins (sp)?, and my depression, just due to life, is getting on top of me again.

So, is it the weather? Or, is it life? That is causing all this pain. Either way, to not have anyone who "gets" it makes the days harder. My dogs love me though!!!

xxxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Tracking Pain

Postby Dee Dee » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:38 am

My fibro is worse in damp weather, stressful times and if I overdo it.
Dee Dee
UKFM Newbie

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:58 pm

I find that my hands hurt more on cold days as well as hot days :/ but damp definitely has an effect :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eBay store: One.Stop.Warehouse

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, I know right now you can't tell. But soon enough, you're gonna think of me. And how I used to be...me
- Matchbox Twenty: 'Unwell'
Icarus
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Stress means tense muscles...which means more pain. I think any chronic pain condition is worsened by stress. So some sort of relaxation technique can really help...whether it is mindfulness, deep breathing, yoga...or in my case the Alexander Technique :-) Any time things start getting on top of me, I try to re-focus my thoughts and make myself become aware of where I am holding tension. That isn't as easy as you'd think because we get so used to tensing certain parts of our body that it starts to feel 'normal' to us. And then I concentrate on 'letting go' of that tension and allowing my body to do what it is supposed to do, without me interfering with it!

I personally have never noticed any change in my symptoms to do with the weather, though it seems a lot of other people think this is a factor for them.
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:08 pm

carolad wrote:Stress means tense muscles...which means more pain. I think any chronic pain condition is worsened by stress. So some sort of relaxation technique can really help...whether it is mindfulness, deep breathing, yoga...or in my case the Alexander Technique :-) Any time things start getting on top of me, I try to re-focus my thoughts and make myself become aware of where I am holding tension. That isn't as easy as you'd think because we get so used to tensing certain parts of our body that it starts to feel 'normal' to us. And then I concentrate on 'letting go' of that tension and allowing my body to do what it is supposed to do, without me interfering with it!

I personally have never noticed any change in my symptoms to do with the weather, though it seems a lot of other people think this is a factor for them.

There's an app by Mindifi LLC (they have a bunch of apps) it's called Sleep/Relax. I was recommended it by a doctor I saw a couple of weeks ago from the Musculoskeletal Service. I was very skeptical (as I tend to be around these sort of things). But, by this point I was willing to try almost anything.

I downloaded it (it's free but with in app purchases available) I listened to the option named 'sleep like a baby' in the evening a few hours before bedtime. After the initial skepticism subsided, I grew to become deeply relaxed and felt the tension almost melt from my body. I actually fell asleep for a while during it, and woke up just before it finished.

When I did wake up I noticed that I felt almost no pain at all, and I felt deeply relaxed for a good couple of hours after.

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, I know right now you can't tell. But soon enough, you're gonna think of me. And how I used to be...me
Icarus
UKFM Member

Postby TheHud » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:10 pm

The weather affects my arthritis, maybe only people with inflammatory disease feel the change in atmospheric pressure.

Mugginess/humidity does make the burning hot/cold sweats more difficult to manage.
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:22 pm

TheHud wrote: Mugginess/humidity does make the burning hot/cold sweats more difficult to manage.

Agreed!

Icarus
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:16 pm

The weather definitely affects me, though I guess some of its down to getting more vitamin D in sunnier climes. I hate hot, muggy weather - which is what we get here mostly - it feels so much hotter than it is when it's so muggy - same with cold, damp weather - and I'm always worse for those times. When I spend time in dryer heat I feel better, I still get aches and pains but I have more energy, can take a little bit of alcohol and spicier food (not very!) and just feel better in myself - so then I can cope with a bit more exercise, get down stairs easier, etc which makes me feel better about myself so better in my self. My fibro fog improves as does my sleeping pattern - as soon as it starts to get humid I go downhill again. Stress doesn't help either - my husband's just had a prostatectomy and we won't hear results of biopsies for another five weeks, I'm looking after him (he's recovering from the op amazingly well) but worried about results - I stress easily anyway, now the weather is getting hotter and more humid so I'm really hurting at the moment....
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby clairbear » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:25 am

I seem to have always been sensitive to weather and pressure changes.

My asthma and sinuses play up terribly when its humid and thunder is approaching, the pressure changes make my head feel a bit like when you are in a plane taking off. My knees and shoulders ache at this point too, which I presume is the arthritis in my joints.
My Hands and feet suffer in the cold more than the heat, I can barely move my fingers and toes in winter.
The heat tends to bring on my fatigue and general feelings of aching and almost flu type symptoms.
Autumn tends to be my worst season as the weather turns damp and cooler my immune system takes a battering from all angles, I avoid children at this point as they go back to school and pick up every bug going and kindly pass it to me!

My internal thermostat doesn't work properly anyway so I live with blankets wrapped around me when everyone else is baking hot.
I have hot and cold sweats for no real reason and then this normally kicks off my angiodema and urticaria as my skin starts to overreact.

I hate the UK climate so much sometimes, I think I need to live in a bubble.. a warm non humid bubble lol!
clairbear
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia