Amitriptyline v Gabapentin

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Amitriptyline v Gabapentin

Postby TheHud » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:53 am

That is what I found Galio. I keep the dose low enough to take the worst shooting, crippling pain away. that way i know i have it in the arsenal should I need to op the dose. Which i do when i need to do something that in the past would have caused sunstantive pain that would have gone on for months if not permanently. Not that i risk it very often. It has helped me get a few hours sleep simply because i know i can without waking up suddenly and horribly in agony.
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby Dazz75 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi
I just found this post because I was interested in how people are finding Gabapentin. I used to be on a very low dose of Amitriptyline 10mg to keep me asleep through the night. I found this was great at keeping me asleep but I didn't feel refreshed the next day. I found taking them early in the night around 6:30pm was better and I was fast asleep before midnight. I didn't really cope well the following day on these I was exhausted more than usual. I have changed to Gabapentin now 3 x 300mg a day at the moment just started 2 weeks ago and I already feel great , I feel really relaxed because I was getting really bad anxiety due to the pains, the pains haven't eased but its given me the ability to deal with it in a way. today i found myself having more involuntary movements. I had them prior to Gaba but the ones today was quite shocking. hopefully it is just a passing side effect.
Dazz75
UKFM Newbie

Postby bandj » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:01 pm

I'm on 40 amitriptylline which I take at 6pm. I know it's not the usual dose but it works for me. I'm also on butrans patches as I can't tolerate most pain killers. Tramadol gave me awful hallucinations, gabapentin made me very ill. The butrans patches and amitriptylline don't kill all my pain but they do make it more bearable.
It can be really hard to find what works for you. It took agex to sort me out.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:01 pm

Thank you all for your replies :-) It just shows though that medication really is an individual thing, different things seem to work for different people and the only way to know what works for you is to try it and see.

So on that basis, I have an appointment with my GP on Friday and I'm going to ask if I could try the Gabapentin. I also take Tramadol 150mg slow release, twice a day. I'm happy with it, during the day it helps with my pain. I need something to help me sleep though. I tried going up to 75mg of Amitriptyline and it gave me between 4 and 5 hours of sleep a night, but it is still broken sleep so I'm still waking up feeling exhausted. I was reading that Gabapentin has been successful in helping with slow wave sleep so I reckoned it is worth trying to see if I can get a longer period of sleep.

I'll let you know how I get on :-D
carolad
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia