fibro and m.e./cfs

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

fibro and m.e./cfs

Postby phoenix67 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in around 2006 and m.e/CFS in 2010.

Can I ask people if they got there symptoms over a period of many years or did they come collectively. The reason I ask is I was diagnosed with vertigo and dizzy spells and bad sickly headaches and migraines over 20 yes ago. A few yrs after that I was diagnosed with IBS and severe hormonal problems. About 15 yes ago I developed severe chronic rhinitis and multiple allergies, and then the following years was crohns, colitis, vaso depressor syncope and suffered from bad neck and back pain and so on. My conditions all came about separately and many years apart

I started suffering all over body pain etc in around 2004 but put it down to my other health conditions and then read about fibro which they then said it was. As the years passed I got weaker and more sicker till it left me bedbound/ housebound. The doctors now class nearly all my symptoms under the fibro and m.e. heading.

Has it happened that way for anyone else where the symptoms were spread years apart.
phoenix67
UKFM Member

Re: fibro and m.e./cfs

Postby TheHud » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:22 pm

Yes

more than 30 years.
TheHud
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:59 pm

Absolutely.....over the past 25 years.
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby UnderSiege » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:56 pm

Hi.

I'll try to keep this one short (ish) but bear with me lol.

My fibro (thinking back as far as I can, ouch) first manifested itself in 2007 I think. I'd just left a marriage which ended really badly... I'd had osteoarthritis and depression for years, when my wife started cheating (at least 3 other guys I know of over one year, likely more) and threw it in my face, over her resentment for my ills perhaps (or maybe she was just mental?)... this was after she'd made me isolate myself from my family and best friend claiming they had an influence on me that threatened the marriage... and when the depression kicked in over the cheating, she made me quit my Effexor because the side effects killed my libido and quitting Effexor cold turkey nearly killed me (though why she thought I'd still want to sleep with her after the multi-cheating I have no idea) she confiscated my anti seizure meds, forced me to eat gone off food which resulted in a severe case of food poisoning and physically assaulted me several times...
You may ask why I allowed this but I had nobody to turn to (she made sure of that) was weakened and with every new... shock/blow I became weaker still. I ended up leaving in summer 2006, going to the Police who arrested her and took me to the hospital because they thought I was about to keel over (apparently my skin was yellow though I don't remember much until about 2 weeks after because I was so ill!)
Could this have been the trigger of fibro? Possibly from what I've read.

Anyway I went from that to within the year having to care full time for 2 years for a 93 year old, senile, mostly blind, incontinent and bedbound relative so I barely recovered from the marriage from beyond hell before doing some of the hardest work I've ever done... through great pain and the need to sleep by mid afternoon every day no matter what I did...

But I was somehow still in the game!

And so to the point... As things progress and time goes by I add more things to my list of ills that a few months before I wouldn't have believed possible...I believe that the hardships and beatings catch up with you but not straight away, rather, they can take years to manifest even after you've gotten over the trials and the scars have healed. I hold the labyrinthitis, anxiety and other things that may be components of fibro or otherwise directly or indirectly stemmed from such events in my life (there have been a good few blows than I've mentioned here) In the way that rain will always reach the ground, these things were going to happen sooner or later in my opinion..

So there's your answer in a roundabout way! Hang in there, we fibrofolk may suffer more but we are cut from tougher fabric than mere mortals so hold your head up and have a good one!

PS. In case anyone is wondering, yes I do miss my wife but from the point of being lonely now and thanks to the fibro not really dateable. It sucks!
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Postby Icarus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:52 am

Hey Undersiege

I'm sorry to hear about what you went through. In times like this, the phrase "what ever kills you makes you stronger" seems like a bad phrase to use even though it may be true.
It's very possible that the abuse your wife put you through may have triggered your fibromyalgia. When I was 19 (I'm 25 now) my then girlfriend (ex) would wake me up by biting my face. Once, stabbed me several times, and when I was passed out, was feeding me every tablet she could find. All because I forgot to get the milk on the way home. I almost died. But I woke up in hospital handcuffed to the bed and was arrested for GBH...
Long story short, I think my fibro MAY have started a couple of years before (Motorcycle accident in 2007) but was very mild. Then I had another motorcycle accident in 2011 and then it all went downhill.

You went through a very demanding time, physically, emotionally, mentally... You are definitely cut from tougher fabric (Kevlar). Keep your head up, and know that you have overcome some very difficult hardships!

In terms of dating... Don't give up on yourself so quickly. I've been with my current girlfriend since September 2014. She knew I wasn't 'well' since we met in July 2014, but I only had a very mild suspicion that it could be fibro (I'm currently undiagnosed but suspected of having fibro)

What I'm trying to say is, fibro or no fibro, you will find someone.

Just be patient, try not to expect it, and it'll happen :)

Good luck with everything,
Karev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eBay store: One.Stop.Warehouse

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell, I know right now you can't tell. But soon enough, you're gonna think of me. And how I used to be...me
- Matchbox Twenty: 'Unwell'
Icarus
UKFM Member

Postby phoenix67 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:12 am

Hi, thanks for replying.

Its sad to know that there are so many people struggling and suffering so badly with this out there, but I'm glad there are places like this forum where people can get together to let others know they are not alone and have someone to talk to who understands.
phoenix67
UKFM Member

Postby divingforPearls » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:20 pm

Many years previously of ill health, from childhood on. Eczema, then steroids, then asthma, then grief, then candida and allergies, then -oops!- alcohol and drugs, plus lots of anti-allergy drugs which made my hair fall out, then the hormone hell of the pill, then too much travelling / living out of a very heavy rucksack, then working two jobs and a 14 hour work day, then a miscarriage, followed by proper flu - which was like the straw that broke the camels back. But now it's now enough to just remove the last straw, but instead I'm having to unravel everything that had built up over the years. Beware of 'tipping points' folks!
divingforPearls
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia