the "Elastic Band" sensation.....

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

the "Elastic Band" sensation.....

Postby crazy_cat_lady » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:54 am

what i also call the "My Right Leg Doesnt Feel Right" syndrome!!! anyone else have this?

the only way i can describe it is - it feels like there is an rubber band round my leg. the position varies from the middle of the foot, just under the knee or at its worst right at the top of my thigh. as a result, everything below that band feels......odd! anything from hot or cold, numb or pins and needly, painfull and crampy to just feeling down right weird.

i get this on an almost daily basis now. it started about 4 years ago after my right big toe join swelled up for no apparnt reason(dr tested for gout and arthris - both negative) the pain in the foot continued for... well it hasnt stopped yet! and was later refered to podietrist. before she even looked at the foot she asked about my heath in general, and she was the first person i heard about FM from. first thing she said when i took my sock of was "ooh thats definately raynauds" since it was pretty shades of white, purple and orange!! lol there was nothing she could do that would help the foot pain, but it did mean i reserched FM from then on, and Pain Management Dr finally agreed last year that it was the diagnosis to go with. (this is after ive had to come off Gabapentin due to adverse side effects!!)

the "elastic band" has also migrated to my right arm on occasion. 2 years ago i woke up to find my right hand/fingers looking like a bunch of fat sausages, no pain but couldnt bend them, dr just gave ibuprofin, swelling wnet down, but recurrs regularly, along with pain runing up and down the whole arm. added to this now is a shoulder injury (funny story - fell headfirst/ arm outstretched into a wheely bin, thankfully no video footage!!!!and i wasnt drunk!!) which after year and a half of pain, 2 rounds of treatment from physio, cortisone injection, still in pain dr finaly refering me for scans.
tired all the time!! zzzzzzzzz
crazy_cat_lady
UKFM Member

Re: the "Elastic Band" sensation.....

Postby nannyogg » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:39 pm

sounds like my "invisible hat"...I often feel like I'm wearing a small, tight-ish hat - like there's a band pulled firmly around the crown of my head. it feels...odd.

I've also started getting a sensation like something invisible moving through me as well - through a leg, or an arm ...doesn't hurt...it's just...odd.

sometimes fibro is just plain weird :-?
nannyogg
UKFM Member

Postby Otter65 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi

Minds like ants crawling all over my body :roll: :yikes:
Otter65
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:04 pm

I get this around my rib cage & sternum that also feels like im continuely carrying a person on my hip with there arms wrapped around my neck and my muscles all tugging and pulling feeling lop sided. :shock:

I had the crawling sensation yesterday, spent all day scratching :roll:

The hat i wake up with, feels like my heads been in a vise all night, been chewing on bricks and got the biggest hangover feeling ... Oh and that been in a fight/run over feeling.....

Muscle stiffness they call it! :-| :crazy:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby iblinkin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi crazy_cat_lady, I've been thru all of this and can tell you it's no fun as you well know. I went thru the it's gout it's not gout nonsense for a several years and one thing i found was that our bodies tend to mimic certain illnesses and i believe gout is one of these issues!

First thing you should do and please don't interpet me wrongly i am not telling you what to do, just simply trying to pass on info i have learned myself, as i have had someone berate me here before for doing so here.

PH paper is what you need to determine your alkaline levels because we do get gouty attacks and i will bet your Dr. had you tested while you were in full gout attack right? Guess what? It will come back as normal because the purinal levels drop when you have a gout attack!!!

Isn't it amazing the Dr.s don't know this fact or are not aware of it? So PH paper will tell for sure and there is a chart on the box that comes with it.

I must point out that some days my PH levels will go from one extreme to the other, who can figure out fibro right?

We tend to have highly acidic bodies along with everything else that is going on with us, so don't be too quick to write off gout just yet.

Now the good news.. there is something that can be done about this to a certain extent and that is eating foods that help to balance our purinal levels and there are foods that will make it worse as well of course!

Yogurt: If it's not a part of your diet then i would suggest making it one as its one our best friends along with Salmon and black cherries and these foods do help this condition, just not over night so do be patient.

I have gone mostly natural with my food and people keep telling me how great i look, pills will always have side effects and can do more harm than good and can create more problems.. i know from personal experience as i had put on a lot of weight (Lyrica is one)
I have slimmed down and actually have ladies hitting on me and my wife is not happy about that! LOL

I also get the rubber band thingy with my whole body and it's terrible! Not sure what to do with that yet, other than epson salt baths.

Good luck and i hope i have shed some light on this issue for you, remember i went thru several years with the it's gout it's not gout nonsense so don't write it off just yet! And i now have it somewhat under control, much better than before. Remember the PH Paper! Gentle hugs. :)
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:48 pm

A couple of people have mentioned having a crawly feeling on this thread - I am so relieved!!! I've been to my gp with what I described as a crawly feeling under my skin and he didn't have any ideas as to what may be happening. At long last I'm not alone! Although I am sad that others suffer it too. It doesn't hurt me but it sets my teeth on edge.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby Redminx » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:26 am

HI i jst jumped when I read this i describe the elastic band feelin too. I get it at the top of my thigh and no pain relief helps its weird and so weird. Also my big toe on the same leg gets painful too
Redminx
UKFM Member

Postby crazy_cat_lady » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:21 am

iblinkin - dont worry, no offence taken lol. i understand where your coming from, testing negative for something on one occasion doesnt necessarly mean thats still not the problem. when i hobbled into the drs the day of the swelling, his first thought was it looked like a gout attack and ordered blood tests, but as that ment an different appointment with the nurse, it was 5 days later that bloods were taken, ( i thought then that was daft as by then anything in the bloods wouldnt be high/low once the meds kicked in) all i was told was that the results came back as no evidence in unusual uric acid levels, (x rays months later showed no evidence of arthritis). while my foot continues in pain and generalised soft tissue swelling, fortunatly i havent had another so painful "gout bout" like that since, and ive wondered if the orignial swelling issued caused nerve damage, hence the continued pain, but hey ho, i may never know. however, i will take your suggestion about the ph paper, and if i can get my hands on some, will moniter things and see if there is a pattern.

and yes, the itching!!! not a surface itch that can easily be scratched, but a buzzing deep under the skin that can make you want to claw your way out!!!!
crazy_cat_lady
UKFM Member

Postby Patsb » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:05 pm

Yes to all above.i detest the skin crawling/buzzing/humming sensation in my left leg.i have severe cramp in my left foot and my toes curl right under.my left hand won't do what I want it too ( I'm left handed!) and my rib cage and hip all feel like they're being squeezed.ive had this continuesly for 3 years now.arghhhhhhhhhh :twisted: :yikes:
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi crazy_cat_lady, i really do hope the ph paper helps you find an answer, do remember though that my ph levels kept bouncing around and this could be the case with you as well, so when they do the test it may come back normal or otherwise. This fibro is one crazy world isn't it?

I found the meds made me worse and that's why i went natural and it has helped me at least find some normalcy in this fibro world.

Cheers and good luck! :-)
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby crazy_cat_lady » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:05 pm

hi again iblinkin - i know what you mean about the meds!! and i had to come off them BEFORE i even got the diagnosis!!

Nortryptaline - i was getting twitching muscles and nerves all over, and the were visible to others! the twitches bounced about, one minute on right leg, next upper left arm, then the ripple effect up and down the other leg etc.... so weaned off them and changed over to

Duloxatine - the little twitches dissapeared, only to be replaced with BIG twitches!!! roughly every 10 minutes my left shoulder or hip would jump. then a back spasm that felt like someone was trying to run a red hot poker under my ribs sent me back to drs, to be changed over to

Gabapentin - aaaand the little twitches came back to keep the big ones company!!!! i stuck it out for 6 months, till the hip twitch threatened to throw me off the bed at night, and i was feeling like someone was trying to electricute my brain!!!

and not one of the 3 gave may any pain relief!!!!!

been off them since beginning of the year, and although the worst of the twitching is gone, there is still some residue ripples that are bearable. i now have just cocodamol and naproxin as and when required, when pain becomes intolerable, since the cocodamol makes me high!
crazy_cat_lady
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia