Headswim

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Headswim

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:13 pm

Question for those few folks on here who a) don't take any medication and b) don't have any other conditions apart from FM (so as not to cloud the results)

Do you experience headswim - that feeling where the floor feels like it's about to come up and meet you in the face? I have had the odd bout of dizziness occasionally but a few weeks ago on a hot day, I had a full on episode of falling over and feeling so sick and dizzy I went to bed. It was a very hot day and I put it down to dehydration or heat exhaustion at the time, but it has recurred multiple times since, just nowhere near as bad.

Anybody else? Or should I be seriously considering finding a GP over a year after moving house? :oops:
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Re: Headswim

Postby Sallyk71 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:10 pm

I have this several times a day and have done for a while. The only medication I take is amitriptiline at night.
Sallyk71
UKFM Newbie

Postby iblinkin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Yup! All the time and taking minimum amounts of meds. So it's fibro related.
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Baby-Hedgehog » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:30 pm

I just take pain killers and sleeping tablets (Phenergen) - but don't have anything else diagnosed, other than Fibro - and I get these too.... they come with no warning, I have to be standing up.... and the room swims..... just glad it hasn't happened when I'm holding my granddaughter
Baby-Hedgehog
UKFM Member

Postby Annie54 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:04 pm

Interesting. I get dizzy spells sometimes, they only last a few seconds but I never associated them with fibromyalgia before.
Annie54
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:11 pm

I really did mean NO meds. I take Ibuprofen occasionally, that's it. For example both the meds mentioned list dizziness as a possible side effect.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Gracious » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:08 pm

SchroedingersCat, I don't take any permanent medation for the fibro now, I work mainly with pacing only and the odd paracetamol and voltatrol gel, when absolutely necessary. I do have Migraines, but again not on permanent meds, they dont agree with me. What I can tell you is that I do get bouts of vertigo, which I do not attribute to migraines, because I've had migraines for 25 years and its only been the past year and a bit that I have started getting bouts of vertigo.

My fibro symptoms changed arround late 2013 and started to experience all sorts of new issues. The dizziness and nausea, I now see as a new fibro symptom. I now attribute the dizziness/spinning/falling/nausea sensations as a sign I am getting over tired, going over my pacing level, over excertion and I take it as an early warning for a rest, if lingering it could be an indication of a possible flare.

On the onset of these symptoms if a few hours rest does not shift it, I will take Prochlorperazine (5mg or 10mg depending of the symptoms, if ts just dizziness 5mg if its dizziness and nausea 10mg). I've found one day on this plus rest seems to do the trick now for me, as I've got better a seeing the signs. I do not take this medication continuously, once the symptoms are gone I stop takng them, longerest spell on them was 5 days.

I have found them to have no adverse effects on me and considering I have come off alot of medication due to sensitivities, thats a plus and I am happy to have this drug as part of my arsenal in my symptom management. I'm trying not to be on drugs permanently now, more on a as and when needed basis, due to my sensitivites.

Another thing to think about is your neck and shoulders, if there overly tight and restrictive, this can contribute to dizziness. I do lots of neck and shoulder opening exercises and I used a neck support pillow. Not just for the dizziness, but it helps with my fibro pain too.

If your finding your dizzy spells start to last and become impacting on your functionality, I would recommend seeing your doctor. Never assume new symptoms are fibro, always get them checked out. I suffered my dizziness/vertigo for over 4 weeks and that was silly, after 5 days on the above medication I was back to my standard of normal, I didnt need to put myself through that and my doctors were very helpful on that occasion.

Hope this is of some help to you.

With loving kindness
Gracious
Gracious
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:40 pm

I get dizziness, some nausea occasionally. Used to be really bad, I'd feel like I was about to pass out, sometimes a flush of heat would wash up through me at the same time or I'd go really white. Often would happen when I was standing, later this would be more common happening after my evening meal. I'd go to bed, remove pillows sometimes to lie flat and it'd be gone by the time I woke up - put it down to tiredness. Had about one episode per year on average but often I'll have it a couple of times fairly close together then not again for a long time. Never lasts very long. A few days ago I got a swimmy head when I was just walking but it was a hot day and I reckon it was dehydration.i take statins and antihistamines plus various things for reflux and IBS but the dizziness started before I was taking any of it - some before I was diagnosed. I don't think I mentioned it to a doctor since diagnosis,but, as it never lasts long, I think it's just tiredness in my case - oh, recently diagnosed with CFS too, I'd go to the doctor though, sounds like you don't actually have one yet in your new place? Worth registering anyway in case you have an emergency
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:22 am

Thanks Gracious and Scoke, useful to know. No, I don't have a GP, struggling to find the ID they want to be able to register - my passport is 10 years out of date and my driving licence is currently missing. I do have my birth certificate, but that doesn't seem to count - although employment agencies will accept it! Hey ho...
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia