experience of pain clinics

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

experience of pain clinics

Postby phoenix67 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi, I've recently been referred to a pain clinic for another condition, and got a pain questionaire to fill in, which I did and then had to state that I had fibro, m.e/CFS and other conditions.

I've never been to one before and was wondering what happens there.? Will I be forced to undergo physio again or to take more drugs. I only take zapain now which only takes the edge off sometimes. I've tried others but felt ill with them. My drug intolerance is quite high now after years of trying stuff. I am housebound and wouldn't be able to attend regularly but I worry they will say I'm not trying hard enough.
phoenix67
UKFM Member

Re: experience of pain clinics

Postby Sallyk71 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:32 pm

I was referred to pain clinic after 5 years. The lady I so was lovely, she asked loads of questions and referred me for a course of acupuncture and pain management sessions which are 3 ours long. I have started the acupuncture if doesn't seem to be having any effect yet and the sessions for pain management will be in October. I'll try anything x
Sallyk71
UKFM Newbie

Postby Patsb » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:55 pm

I went once.waste of time.most they offered me was 4 sessions of acupuncture.plus clinic was on top floor and I'm claustrophobic so daren't go in the rickety old lift they had.
Patsb
UKFM Member

Postby lancashire-lass » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:14 pm

I went to one 2 years ago it was for 2 days a week for 6 weeks and there were 13 people on the course all with different medical problems.
I found it very helpful as there were medical staff there who dealt with nothing but people in extreme pain - a senior doctor, a clinical psychologist, 2 occupational therapists and a nurse who reviewed medication.
The course taught me that there is no cure for the pain, but there are coping techniques that can help to manage the pain. Different things work for different people (same as different drugs work better for some people than others)
During the course we were shown stress management techniques, how to pace ourselves, relaxation and meditation, exercises and lots more.
I still have all my existing medical conditions (including fibro) and I still have bad flare-ups - but I know that there are ways for me to cope and get on with life.
And the people I met on the pain management course I still meet up with once a month for a coffee and a natter :grouphug:
lancashire-lass
UKFM Member

Postby z200 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:28 am

I have just been invited to go on a pain management course which starts at the end of August... I do hope it will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
z200
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:48 am

I have been referred to a pain management clinic. I am not sure what they are going to do, so I am interested to see if they have any good tips or ideas that might make a difference. I am also currently under the care of the CFS/ME staff who have taught me to pace. I have yet to get the hang of it because right now they want me to take a 10 minute break every hour to see if that assists with the fatigue. I have to say I do it when I remember, but most of the day is filled with one thing or another and so it gets forgotten!!! :-?
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia