OT home aassessment

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

OT home aassessment

Postby leaporlepor » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:30 pm

A few months ago my mother noticed how bad things were going for me health wise and that I was struggling at home. She contacted Adult Social Services to arrange a home assessment and convinced me to go along with it. I was extremely nervous as I spent some time in a residential care facility when I was twenty as I was incapable of looking after myself due to an exacerbation of a medical condition that i had been suffering from for a while. I have come so far as I now live on my own. Anyway I didn't know what to expect from this assessment but the woman came today and it went fantastically. She is going to provide some equipment, give me a catalogue so that I can buy things that she can't provide and most importantly the council will be doing some work in the house to level the raised wooden bits on the floors under the internal doors and also I am getting a rail put up on the outside of my external ramp so I won't keep falling over the bricks on the outer edge. Rationaly I knew before she came that nothing like what happened when I was twenty would happen but emotionally I was thinking the worst. I am now glad that I agreed to have this assessment done as I can already see how it will make my life easier and most importantly, safer. Hopefully these adaptations will make the combination of my previous problems and the fibromyalgia less of a burden.
leaporlepor
UKFM Newbie

Re: OT home aassessment

Postby clubsound4 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:24 pm

Hi,I had a visit also being newly diagnosed with fibro and living in a first floor flat with the dreaded stairs and also an over bath shower that I couldn't use!!!
I was thinking I had to move and broke down in my gps surgery,,12 months on I have a stairlift and an adapted shower room,the latter being carried out by the council,,,these people sometimes do a thankless job but they gave me my life back so to speak,,am able to cope!!!! soft hugs :-D
clubsound4
UKFM Member

Re: OT home aassessment

Postby jinglis » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:25 pm

I have to agree. After years of getting nowhere with various health professionals, my visit to see O.T was refreshing She was very knowledgeable about fibro and has already helped me make several changes to make life a bit more comfortable. I am also now waiting to be rehomed in an adapted bungalow :-)
jinglis
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia