Give in or fight?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Give in or fight?

Postby Walrus » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:49 am

Most mornings when I wake up I am in a lot of pain. My very patient husband brings me my painkillers and he is quite happy to leave me in bed until I feel well enough to get up. To be honest I could probably lay in bed until lunchtime, and on some days I do. If I do get up at a reasonable time I crash in the afternoon and end up sleeping for hours on the sofa. The fatigue is awful but I put a lot of it down to the pain. My question is do I give in and sleep when my body tells me to or do I fight the fatigue and try to keep going through it?

Any views much appreciated. :-?
Walrus
UKFM Member

Re: Give in or fight?

Postby fatalrazkaz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:15 am

I'm presuming, like me, that you don't work. My husband is like yours, very understanding and helpful. I never stay in bed after 9-00 a.m. just out of principle. I also find that the longer I stay in bed the more pain I seem to feel. I used to fall asleep on the sofa but for quite a while now I haven't. I think that's because of getting up every day at a sensible time. If you stay in bed some days, when you do get up early you feel it more and then get tired sooner. Try getting up at a regular time and see if that helps. It took a long time for it work for me (about a year) but I no longer fall asleep during the day. My pain is constant but I am not on any pain relief as I cant take anything and my doc won't give me certain drugs as he doesn't want me to get addicted.
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:44 am

I agree with fatalrazkaz, I'm in the same situation but have always tried to get up, I find my fibrofog is really bad on the days I have been late up, especially if I've gone back to sleep after about 7am. I sometimes find myself nodding on the sofa so I try to get up and do something even if it's only to sit on something more upright. I try to go up to bed about 10.30 and always put out the light and try to sleep by 11.30, then try to keep myself awake after 6.30, but try to sleep and certainly do nothing else, even sit up, before that. The hours that you choose might give you longer in bed, 7 hours is difficult for me to actually sleep but I can manage to lie down even though I turn over a lot . I used to only have an average of four hours sleep a night and it's now more like six hours which has meant I'm less fatigued in the day. A routine really does help. I only allow myself to sleep in the day if I feel really ill - like a really bad headache, with the shakes and nausea - even then I rarely do. I think fighting it has to be the answer in this case, I do believe the more I let myself sleep in the day, the less sleep I get at night and the more tired and foggy I feel all day
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby zoanne » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:16 pm

I too try to have a routine, but I have to say that there are the odd days when I just can't physically get out of bed. Usually I do get up though. If I start to experience what I call the desperate tiredness, I will go back to bed as I can't really do anything constructive. I think it's a personal decision. No one really understands how you are feeling.
zoanne
UKFM Newbie

Postby migrembe » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:13 pm

I disagree, although staying in bed all day or even sleeping on the sofa all day is not a good thing. I have found that on the days i am extra tired, that if i nap for an hour during the early afternoon, i then sleep better at night as the pain is less.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby SalMorton » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:28 pm

I agree trying to get into a routine is preferable as your body does have a 'clock'. Bearing this in mind therefore, your body dips naturally after lunch and this is a good time to sleep. If you have spinal pain it is good to lie down to realign your spine during the day too - have a look at the 'Alexander Technique' for more information. However, do not feel guilty if you break your routine when you feel too unwell.
SalMorton
UKFM Newbie

Postby Angie Baby » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:32 am

I too suffer from Fibromyalgia and mobility problems. I'm trying to get in to a routine and get up no later than 9am. I'm not taking any pain relief because when I did I was still in constant excruciating pain! I also gained a lot of weight. I'm at a catch 22 do I go back on pain relief and probably gain the weight I've lost or learn to live with the pain? I'm going to fight to get some of my life back. I find the cold wet weather really effects my pain levels. I'm hoping that summer will be back with us to help ease the pain. Unfortunately I also suffer from migraines and hay fever! I just can't win! :-( :crazy: :hugs: :grouphug:
Angie Baby
UKFM Member

Postby UnderSiege » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:28 am

I fight and fight alone with no partner, friends or allies...
I fight even though my family sap and drain that fight from me and then I fight my family because they are a***holes
And I fight myself when I have to make the choice: painkillers for the pain and the drowsiness preventing me living up to the expectations of others (and the opprobrium that follows)
Or nothing to help and ultimately suffer and fail anyway... Me... or them... or them... they win again.

I fight like all hell.

Fight some more... fight the depression, fight the urge to end it, fight the walls that close in, fight anybody and anything. Cos Grrrr!

Hate and despise what I've become...

Then I give up.

And when I give up I fall hard.
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Postby Annie54 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:25 am

I would say the most important thing with fibromyalgia is to pace yourself. Some days you can do more than others. The worst thing you can do is fight how you feel if you don't have to. Sometimes I know there are things that just have to be done but otherwise listen to your body as much as possible. This is the kind of illness that feeds on your fighting it and gets worse when you do.
Annie54
UKFM Member

Postby Redminx » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:10 pm

I dnt fight the sleep if i do it only makes me worse. I do work although not able to work full time. Im lucky my work allows me to stay at home and rest when i need to i dnt always sleep as i jst need to take painkillers hotwater bottle at times and rest.
Redminx
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia