The jerks

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

The jerks

Postby tintagel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:44 am

Hi all,
Over the past few weeks I have begun having significant jerks in mainly my legs, but also arms and a shoulder. These are not twitches, but full on jerks, that others can see. They happen when im not active, but during the day. There is no difference to them whether i'm taking gaberpentin or not. I'm scared by them, wondering if they will take over the rest of my body, and I will be the freak who twitches and jerks. I do not have them every day but they are becoming more regular lately. I have to drive to get to work and I love driving so worried about that. My son gets married week on Saturday, and don't want to jerk through the proceedings. This on top of all the pain and dizziness, really frightened for the future now. My GP did/said absolutely/ nothing when I told him about it.
Thankyou.
tintagel
UKFM Member

Re: The jerks

Postby Janiewood » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:34 am

Hi, yes I have same problem. My left arm and hand suddenly jerk terribly as does my left leg, giving me a noticeable stagger to the side. My GP also had no comment when told. So am interested to hear more. Thank you. :-)
Janiewood
UKFM Newbie

Postby Bazzingersteph » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:55 am

Hi I have had jerks through my body for quite some years now and it used to only be my legs so I went to my gp who suggested it was restless legs and prescribed me rotigotine patches which helped a lot. I find it to be more of a nuisance but sometimes my legs can twitch for anywhere upwards of 20 mins which gives me awful pain in my muscles. One time I was sat in a hospital waiting room with my mum and all of a sudden my leg decided to have one almighty jerk and I caught the back of an elderly ladies skirt, I was absolutely mortified but glad it was only her skirt and not her! Hope you get some sort of answers and relief soon x
Bazzingersteph
UKFM Newbie

Postby sandiepandie » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:09 pm

This is all so familiar! I have had fibro, Ibs and cfs for over 15 years. I also get severe muscle spasms and cramps as well as the sudden jerking!

I also have blackouts/fainting which usually happen after a really bad bout of muscle spasms and cramps. Anyone else get these?
sandiepandie
UKFM Member

Postby mamamaka » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:31 pm

Yes. ... I've had this too. .. I've had more than one cup of coffee in my lap because my hand just jerked it....i get twitches in my legs usually at night and it nearly always co insides with a thought/dream about falling. .. so I go through the motions so to speak.
Have always put it down to another symptom and never mentioned it to anyone, sometimes feel like I would never stop speaking if I started on all the symptoms :( I would definitely recommend you go to the doctors about it if it keeps getting worse, if for no other reason than t to put your mind at rest
good luck :)
mamamaka
UKFM Member

Postby Holaholli » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Yeap, I get these too. Scares me and hope it doesn't get worse.
Holaholli
UKFM Newbie

Postby UnderSiege » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:36 pm

I get these jerky twitchy things too but thankfully not too often.

I remember one time I was putting a tray of ice cubes back in my best friends freezer just as I had a massive spasm... trashed the food in that shelf and left ice cubes halfway across the kitchen. My best friend was like wtf? He couldn't figure it out either...

I have also got drinks on myself and knocked them off what should have been safe perches... So unlike me as I was never clumsy in the slightest before I hit my 30's... I never so much as dropped a glass or plate but now I use plastic tumblers (better safe than sorry) and my prized coca cola glasses are packed away (yeah I know they're not worth anything but I went out of my way for the full set because I never had collectibles before)

The worst ones I had was kicking my ex wife in the shins while in bed (when she was still wifey of course) I got a slap for that... and with my last gf also while in bed, I was still half asleep and I kneed her in the base of the spine... It felt like full power too, cue the air being blue for a good 10 minutes once she could breathe again lol...

I've also been fully woken up from half sleep by kicking the covers off myself and one time by backhanding the wall very painfully.

I dunno, maybe I am better off alone (for any potential partners sake at least...)
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia