Adopting a gluten free diet?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Adopting a gluten free diet?

Postby Morrigan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:22 am

Haven't really posted here so I hope people won't jump down my throat for this!

I have been in so much pain and I seem to be getting many more symptoms. I've tried several different doctors trying to find some help, every test they do is normal and I have been laughed at, mocked, told I must just be angry and hate the world etc. So I am trying to help myself.

So in my desperation I have decided to go gluten free for a while (I'm already vegan so I know dairy is not the problem) to see if that might help. I don't think I have Celiac Disease at all but I'm wondering if it might be a sensitivity.

I have read that gluten free can help some fibro sufferers. Has anyone found this?

Thank you for any replies! :)
Morrigan
UKFM Newbie

Re: Adopting a gluten free diet?

Postby z200 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:42 am

No.
I have coeliac disease (diagnosed Jan 2014 after positive blood test and positive biopsy) and there's no way going gluten free has helped me with pain or the fibro in general....
I was then diagnosed (last month) with IBS - so more pills....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
z200
UKFM Member

Postby Jasperheidi » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:47 am

Im so sorry you feel so bad. It is soul destroying when people disbelieve you. I had all the symptoms of coeliac but my.blood test was negative. I found great relief cutting gluten out since 1996. Then in 2013 i developed fms. Repeat bloods were negative and im eating gluten since. Ive not.found any change or worsening of symptoms. However you may find an improvement in energy levels....or not. Give it a try. Its a healthy option and cant harm you. Have you had fasting iron bloods done? I was diagnosed with iron overload...haemachromatosis and am improving now on treatment. Stay strong and believe in yourself. X
Jasperheidi
UKFM Member

Postby fitbit » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Hi sorry you're not getting any support. I to was thinking of trying the gluten free way. I am laid in bed having taken my pain killers, magnesium and calcium, in agony. Thinking ive got work tomorrow! I came off all meds in April, but some days its just too much. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, IC abd i suffer from ibs. I then found out I'm in menopause, so dr put me on hrt hoping this might help my pain; ( 2 anf a half weeks and no better my IC is worse as my body must think ots hormonal. I have bronchitis aa well at the moment and coughing so much i keep having accidents which is stressing me. So a gluten free diet can't do much harm lol.
Sorry for going on just feeling tired and ratty. Give the gluten free a go, everyone is different, good luck. Hugs
fitbit
UKFM Newbie

Postby iblinkin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:49 pm

Gluten free food gave me bad stomach pains, so be careful!
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Morrigan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I had a GF day yesterday. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up but I am in a way. I just want to feel better. I know that if/when I have to go back to my doc that he's going to mock me and tear me apart for it.

People just don't understand...
Morrigan
UKFM Newbie

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:53 pm

I tried it for a while, sadly no effect whatsoever
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby lizashfield » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:35 pm

I had to go gluten, wheat and dairy free years before I was diagnosed with Fibro due to various stomach and digestive problems. These problems seem to be symptomatic of Fibromyalgia.

It is worth checking with a medical person/doctor just in case the diet would be harmful for you.
lizashfield
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi, I went gluten and diary free a few years ago. It has helped my ibs. I was diagnosed with fm a couple of years ago and don't know if it's helping or not. You can get gluten free flour for bread and cakes and if you put a bit of xanthum gum in, it improves the texture.

I'm sorry people don't believe you, that makes it all so much harder for you.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:26 pm

iblinkin wrote:Gluten free food gave me bad stomach pains, so be careful!

I think the problem is that most gluten free baked goods are very highly processed and don't contain a lot of fibre, in comparison to their gluten cousins. I was shocked to find that some gluten free products have a very long shelf life - so that shows they have a lot of dodgy stuff added to them.

A healthier option is to avoid most of these 'gluten free' products, and base your diet on unprocessed foods that are naturally gluten free eg vegetables, pulses, fruit, dairy, meat (if you eat it). Vegetable and fruit intake is particularly important to get the fibre that you will be losing out on by giving up gluten products.

It really is a matter of trial and error, the only way to find out if something is going to help you is to cut it out for a while and see how you feel. You have to give it a chance too, there is no point trying it for a couple of days. Try it for a couple of months and then you will know. Another thing to note is that if you do have a gluten sensitivity, cutting down on gluten will have no impact, you have to be very strict and cut it out completely.

Worth trying though!
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby AlisonL » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:06 pm

See an NHS dietician and ask them about FODMAP. This is an exclusion diet that helps identify which foods are inflaming your gut. Less gut inflammation does seem to reduce overall inflammation for me. Difficult to do but only lasts six weeks before you can start testing and reintroducing foods.
AlisonL
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia