What causes your relapse

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What causes your relapse

Postby Joan 100 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:14 am

I'm curious to hear what causes people to relapse :?:

My current relapse was caused by cooking it sounds daft but its true. I was stood for a long time which caused the crippling pain to start in my feet it then spread from there. I was making muffins which went terribly wrong then cupcakes you could break a window with and I set the bread maker it took me a long time to make these, well over 2 hours. I find it hard to cook as I struggle to stir mixtures due to the pain and my right arm just doesn't work the way it used to so I usually need help with stirring and flipping things over (like eggs when frying).

Does anyone else struggle in the kitchen:?: I seem to struggle with these tasks even when the Fibro is under control.
Joan 100
UKFM Member

Re: What causes your relapse

Postby josie12333 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:31 am

i find im the same after pealing the veg on sunday which is a struggle to start with as my hand are swollen and pain full i stood at the cooker a while by time dinner was cooked my daughter had to come and plate it up the pains in my legs and back were horrendous you try your best to just get one with it but feel you no when its time to shout for help :-D
josie12333
UKFM Newbie

Postby Queenie_70 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:37 am

I haven't cooked in ages. The fire alarm was the indicator that I had been cooking and set the oven on fire again, so I decided that I shouldn't be allowed in the kitchen anymore.

As for what sets off a relapse...nothing! I find a wind change can trigger a flare....it is so random I just gave up trying to track it completely. I used to think that the cold made it worse because living in Minot, North Dakota for seven years my hands would be awful....moving to England didn't change that, so I threw that theory our the window.

Now, I just wait to see what the day will bring. It is rare for me to not actually get out of bed, but more often then not, I end up going back. Sleep is the only relief I get, when I get it.

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Joan 100 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:03 am

I find I also burn myself a lot by accident because I have total memory blanks picking up oven trays with no glove because I've forgotten that it's hot I once burnt all the finger tips on my right hand picking up the toaster to get the tray it stood on totally forgot that I'd just made toast. :oops:

I find sleep helps to but I wake up in agony a lot and have to turn over so its always disturbed sleep.
Joan 100
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:27 pm

Joan100,

I once opened an oven that had been on for about three hours roasting and tried to pick up the roasting pan without oven gloves....my mother, God bless this poor woman, managed to save the day. My hands were doused in cold water for an age and only a few fingers blistered badly enough to see the doc....fibro fog, and pure stupidity made me leave the kitchen alone....

I live on microwaved food....occasionally I use the stove top, but I have to physically stay in the kitchen so I don't forget that there is something cooking:)

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:42 pm

Not enough sleep is usually what breaks me, that and being too busy over a period of days.

No, no problems in the kitchen, my fog is more about being forgetful than being incapable
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby caramia » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:26 pm

I am the same , its usually lack of sleep and doing too much. I work part time and am ready for my days off as shattered! Lack of sleep is biggest culprit , but I can't sleep as I wake up due to pain!
:(
caramia
UKFM Member

Postby emma_poland » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:06 pm

Joan 100 wrote:I'm curious to hear what causes people to relapse :?:

My current relapse was caused by cooking it sounds daft but its true. I was stood for a long time which caused the crippling pain to start in my feet it then spread from there. I was making muffins which went terribly wrong then cupcakes you could break a window with and I set the bread maker it took me a long time to make these, well over 2 hours. I find it hard to cook as I struggle to stir mixtures due to the pain and my right arm just doesn't work the way it used to so I usually need help with stirring and flipping things over (like eggs when frying).

Does anyone else struggle in the kitchen:?: I seem to struggle with these tasks even when the Fibro is under control.

Do you have a perch stool? You can get one from the occupational therapist for free. They sit u up slightly so u can see but still sit down ( back legs can be put higher than the front xx Good luck x
emma_poland
UKFM Newbie

Postby Joan 100 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:41 am

Thank you all for your replies :-)

Emma_poland thanks for the idea its one I've considered a lot but our kitchen is tiny so there isn't any safe space for me to have or use a stool :(

[quote="Queenie_70"

I once opened an oven that had been on for about three hours roasting and tried to pick up the roasting pan without oven gloves....my mother, God bless this poor woman, managed to save the day. My hands were doused in cold water for an age and only a few fingers blistered badly enough to see the doc....fibro fog, and pure stupidity made me leave the kitchen alone....

I live on microwaved food....occasionally I use the stove top, but I have to physically stay in the kitchen so I don't forget that there is something cooking:)

xx[/quote] :yikes: I hope your fingers are ok Queenie and Thank you for sharing as it's good to know I'm not the only one who does things like this.

I still use the kitchen as I'm a full time carer for my dad and he can't use it much, he has to have a healthy diet so I'm in the kitchen daily making veg mostly, the pans always boil over but I get the job done :roll:
Joan 100
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia