Does fatigue hit you out of the blue

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Does fatigue hit you out of the blue

Postby Jibba Jabba » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:26 am

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else suffers from overwhelming tiredness in the morning. I can get up ok(ish), shower, dress and eat breakfast but the minute I stop "doing" I get a terrible tiredness come over me. I still work 4 days a week and on some days have to drag myself to the station but by the time I get to work I've normally gone through that stage. My husband cannot understand how I can be ok one minute and then totally good for nothing the next. Don't get me wrong, he is so supportive and my rock and I would not be able to manage without his help but I cannot for the life of me explain the ups and downs. He says he cannot keep up with the effect it has on me and it's hard for him to understand. If he questions me I get panicky and feel like such a fraud. Please can someone help me to explain.

Thank you

Julie
Jibba Jabba
UKFM Member

Re: Does fatigue hit you out of the blue

Postby Mayakatkate » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:12 am

Hello Julie,

I get fatigue a lot and like you when I stop it hits even worse, if I push through it I can Make the pain worse! I normally get up ok (ish) as well but once I have had breakfast and showered and got ready for the day I am normally out of energy and ready for bed again. Unfortunately there is the rest of the day to do first! I am pregnant at the moment so am rarely having caffeine, I have found this lack of caffeine helps to keep me on a slightly more even keel throughout the day, it could be worth a try? Takes a couple of weeks to see the benefit, maybe cut down on sugar as well? I hope you find a way to help kick fatigues bum!!

All the best,
Kate.
Mayakatkate
UKFM Newbie

Postby stripes64 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:16 am

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/ Try the spoon theory, its the best explanation there is for now
stripes64
UKFM Member

Postby Jasperheidi » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:24 am

Omg Julie!!! I can SO relate to you!...but i feel SO ashamed.cos im off work since dec 13. Shingels, fms then haeochromatosis diagnoses later!....i was improving when dr started taking blood off for HH but of course i was hi on mynewfound energy n overdid it. Im shattered now. I cant wash n dress til ive eaten n rested. Then i wash n dress n rest...potter in kitchen n rest..then try go for walk n rest....
But last week i was out digging the garden!!!
Jasperheidi
UKFM Member

Postby teresa67 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:42 am

yes fatigue hits me when I least expect it that it makes me rethink things ig having a day out with friends or family as I sometimes plan ahead incase fatigue hits, bad enough pain holds us up but fatigue omg that just floors you and simple can not move from where ever I'm sat or laid, luckily its only hppen a few times and managed to hide it and get myself home safely xx
teresa67
UKFM Member

Postby lizashfield » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:46 am

I can be ok one minute and exhausted the next. Nearly fell asleep on the loo the other day! You need to try and explain it to your partner - try doing it when you are feeling a little better not in the middle of an exhausted patch. Like you I find I cannot cope with questions being fired at me - even when they are friendly, concerned questions. I feel its like they are hitting a thick wall which I just cannot think around so YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
lizashfield
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:20 pm

Jasperheidi wrote:... Im shattered now. I cant wash n dress till ive eaten n rested. Then i wash n dress n rest...potter in kitchen n rest..then try go for walk n rest....
But last week i was out digging the garden!!!

This is me most of the time and occasionally i get a near normal day, but it never lasts and no one understands how difficult it is to function enough to take care of myself, never mind anyone else. I do force myself sometimes, but it always end up with a pain flare then and more fatigue....
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Tessa2373 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:56 pm

Yes it does. And a lot people around me don't understand how one minute I can be kind of ok to exhausted at the flick of a switch without having done anything much. Makes me feel so guilty all the time. Everything goes so heavy and it feels like I'm moving through thick treacle. Feel very isolated with it. You have my sympathies xxxx
Tessa2373
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:32 pm

lizashfield wrote:I can be ok one minute and exhausted the next. Nearly fell asleep on the loo the other day! You need to try and explain it to your partner - try doing it when you are feeling a little better not in the middle of an exhausted patch. Like you I find I cannot cope with questions being fired at me - even when they are friendly, concerned questions. I feel its like they are hitting a thick wall which I just cannot think around so YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

"Falling asleep on the loo," that is the phrase that I can relate most to.....my fatigue hits, and bam!!! I am out for the count. My pacing coach told me this should improve the more I start taking breaks, but I find I am then feeling guilty for not getting things done!!!

xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:39 pm

I get hit with a feeling like someone pulled my plug out at the wall socket, literally from one minute to the next. Generally don't have any choice but to keep going. Most times it doesn't last very long.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Jibba Jabba » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Thank you so much for your replies.
It's good to know I'm not on my own in feeling like this.
Jibba Jabba
UKFM Member

Postby Bexter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:33 am

You are so right, it's like someone has pulled your plug out of the wall and u just run out of everything, and in minutes your so tired that all u want to do is lie down and sleep, I can fall asleep on the phone, mid sentence face to face.
You do the slightest thing and u have to rest and it's taken me so long to realise that myself. Sometimes I'm my worst enemy as I try so much to do the stuff friends and family do, normal things and it knocks me for 6. Then people moan at you, but they don't understand how horrible it is not to do the normal day to day stuff and that's what I wish people would understand more. It's horrible relying on people helping u wash, dress, shopping, making lunch. Things people do without thinking and take for granted u can do.

It's so nice to know ur not alone and that others know how it feels to feel this way
Bexter
UKFM Newbie

Postby SalMorton » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:07 pm

Don't have to have done anything for overwhelming fatigue to hit like a lightning bolt. Fibromyalgia is a Neurological disorder affecting the brain and an illness, this is a well known symptom, just like wheeze for someone with asthma.
SalMorton
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jibba Jabba » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:14 am

SalMorton, I totally agree. Sometimes all I am doing is sitting down and I get this overwhelming tiredness come over me. My legs go like jelly and I just don't feel right or good. Then I know I have to get into bed. Horrible feeling :(
Jibba Jabba
UKFM Member

Postby FionaS » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:01 pm

Mine tends to be more afternoon if I start out OK, although sometimes I don't feel remotely awake all day. SO SO annoying if I have woken up feeling OK and intend to do something; I just suddenly stop....my whole life at the moment is like living in one of those video games where you have to save up energy and you cannot move on until you have enough saved up. And also, if I have a good day I know that the next two will be awful. I have quite a few half-done tasks around the place!
FionaS
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia