Problems with my throat

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Problems with my throat

Postby Ecinsregal » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:21 pm

Hi, does anyone else have problems with their throat. I keep getting the sensation that someone is strangling me. My throat twitches and my voice goes weak and my mouth and throat go dry. Does anyone else have similar symptoms
Ecinsregal
UKFM Newbie

Re: Problems with my throat

Postby Queenie_70 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi,

I wrote a post fairly similar to this, and my GP informed me that fibro affects all the muscles in the body, this includes those in the throat. Strange strangling, dryness, hoarse voice, and lets not forget to including my favorite, medications and liquid coming back up my throat and into my mouth if I lay down within 30 minutes of taking said medications....the esophageal muscles are weakened and are not doing their job properly anymore.

Welcome to the joys of fibro:)

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Mayakatkate » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi!

I often get a tight feeling in my throat and it feels sore alot like I have the cold or the flu. I also get lots of upper chest irritation which I know is fibro and not a cold or flu as it happens so much! Hope your symptoms ease and you find some answers.

All the best,
Kate x
Mayakatkate
UKFM Newbie

Postby SalMorton » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:39 pm

I regularly wake up at night feeling like I am choking, really horrible. Improved since stopping Amitriptyline. Also have a sore throat most of the time.
SalMorton
UKFM Newbie

Postby Cuddles6 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:37 pm

I would have your Thyroid checked :-) x
Cuddles6
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:15 am

Me too, choking on nothing, the feeling of a dry lump just at the back of my throat, dryness, too much saliva, hoarseness, almost constant sore throat, reflux, post nasal drip and a feeling as if I've been running and am out of breath - just that tightness in the throat, not actually out of breath, aching, ulcers and occasional waking gasping for air.... Have had my thyroid checked over and over. Just this last time was borderline low, always normal before but doctor said he'd been testing for high and that he'd done both tests....
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby Gadef » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:43 pm

I too have lots of problems with my voice. I am struggling hard with huskiness and loss of voice, especially as am in a choir, and do solos, which I now have to give up. I wasn't sure if it was the Fibro at first, but am more convinced since reading this. I am on amitryptiline and steroids at present, and am still waiting to see a rheumatologist, following my doctors initial diagnosis of Fibro and also possibly PMR( Polymyalgia Rheumatica ). Is there a way that I can /we can help ourselves with this problem?
Gadef
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia