Vitamin D deficiency

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Vitamin D deficiency

Postby Clifford » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:59 pm

I was found to be deficient in vitamin D and am on a 6 week, 50,000 unit/week replacement course. Has anyone else had this vitamin D issue as part of their FIbromyalgia symptoms and did the pills make a difference?
Clifford
UKFM Newbie

Re: Vitamin D deficiency

Postby Chickenosaurus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:26 am

Hi - I asked for a vitamin D test last year and the nurses at the practice seemed quite puzzled about it (even though vit D supplementation is advised by the government!)

I was found to be 'insufficient' in it - not as bad as a deficiency, but I was advised to take 800ius a day and have 20mins sun exposure every day (in Scotland??? I wish! :lol: ). That was when I told them I had been taking vitamin D tablets (2000ius) for a year...
So it looks like I'm deficient. I also have an unexplained B12 deficiency, so get B12 injections every 12 weeks.

There seems to be some link with these deficiencies and fibromyalgia, but I don't think any one understands why...
Chickenosaurus
UKFM Member

Postby major64 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:42 am

I have same probs at times. Doc thought my pain in the joints was from that. Its called osteomalicia ( apologies with spelling) . Basically its rickets. Had supplements but made no difference
major64
UKFM Member

Postby Chickenosaurus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:46 am

Sorry - meant to add; there appears to be a link between vitamin D & Multiple Sclerosis, so it would seem to affect the nerves as well.
Chickenosaurus
UKFM Member

Postby iblinkin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:14 am

This is our new normal, yes our D levels are typically low and may i suggest you consider taking vitamin D liquid drops or liquid gel pill

form as i found out that the regular pills only have an absorption rate of 30%,

meaning your body does not use 70% of the pills, so you are not getting the full benefit from them and wasting your money.

Gentle hugs to all!
iblinkin
UKFM Member

Postby Jeany » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:49 am

Yes me too. Vit D can be low if you don't get out into the daylight much or if your skin is all covered with hats and gloves then you cannot absorb the vit D. Also if low in vit D in most cases you will be low in vit C.

The symptoms of being low in these vitamins are much the same as fibro symptoms ie poor sleep and aches & pains. If you google it the list is endless. Also you can be at risk of osteoporosis. I myself am waiting to go for a bone scan to check if my bones have been damaged, because my levels are low due to long term use of ppi medication Omprozole & Ranitidine for stomach problems.
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby Gemmai80 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:40 am

I have been taking Fultium D prescribed by the doctor and they seem to be doing nothing! I've been in them a few months now.
I'm going back to see if I can have some strong painkillers as paracetamol and 400mg Cuprofen aren't touching the pain at all.
Any suggestions for pain relief gladly received!
Thanks in advance
:crazy:
Gemmai80
UKFM Newbie

Postby Joan 100 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:34 pm

Clifford wrote:I was found to be deficient in vitamin D and am on a 6 week, 50,000 unit/week replacement course. Has anyone else had this vitamin D issue as part of their FIbromyalgia symptoms and did the pills make a difference?

I was diagnosed with osteomalacia (severe vit d deficiency) Just before being diagnosed by same doc as having fibromyalgia anyway I was given a high does of calciferacol (vitd and calcium) and several injections. The vit d does improve some symptoms but it can take up to 6 months to build up so you probably won't feel any better for awhile.
Joan 100
UKFM Member

Postby galio » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:42 am

my son has had alsorts of problems recently and we suspect it could be fibro as he is already disabled by hypermobility syndrome, but r3eading this i have suggested he gets checked for vit D. on this subject have any of you had a folic acid problem as among many tests he had last year for his hands cramping etc it came back low and the gp looked it up and a lot of his symptoms were listed, he also had borderline b12 results, since having a folic suplement for 6 months it was all back to normal. but over the last 18 moths his lymphocyte count has been high but they dont seem concerned about that.
galio
UKFM Member

Postby Laurajojo » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:57 pm

My pain has been getting worse and I have just been told that I am extremely deficient in Vitamin D. Still waiting to see my GP again.
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia