Coping strategies when having a child

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Coping strategies when having a child

Postby BobGoblin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:50 pm

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place...

I would like to know what other people do to overcome FB difficulties fatigue etc when they have a child. I have FB, hypermobility syndrome (EDS 3), anaemia, vit D deficiency and undiagnosed infertility.

I have a birth child (through IVF) who is now 4 and think I have coped brilliantly, adapting where I need to and changing other things as and when. I am going through the process of being approved as a foster carer for a child under 2. I plan to just take 1 baby at a time but they could be any age under 2.

I'd really like to know what problems you encountered when you had a child and what you did to get over it. For example, I know that I do not have the strength to lift a car seat in and out of the car and use it as a baby carrier. I will use a Snuglebundle instead but that will only be suitable up to about 6 months. I don't yet have a plan for 6 months plus, other than to just use a lightweight stroller and put them in that. I will also use a sling, but this is frowned upon by social workers and I have been told I cannot use a sling when taking baby to contact sessions with birth mum.

What else have you come up against? I really need your help as my social worker has said I may not get approved if I can't show that I have strategies for overcoming difficulties. I have said I cannot anticipate every problem I will come across but can demonstrate I have the problem solving skills needed to find a solution. That wasn't good enough and she wants to see a list of possible problems and solutions!!

I need to prove I've got what it takes to nurse a baby through the first few weeks of life when they are born drug addicted and going through withdrawal. This is worst case, but common, and the most physically demanding kind of baby that could be placed. I wouldn't expect you to have experience of this but any tips you have for sleepless nights or managing chronic pain alongside parenthood would be great.

Once I'm done making the list, I will happily share it with you all!

Thanks so much for your help!
BobGoblin
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia